The Student Room Group

Mayor of Tower Hamlets flies Palestinian flag from Town Hall

Link

I think this is wrong. He is supposed to be serving the people and not his own interests and clearly this was put up based on his own political opinions. It is inappropriate and it could be seen as intimidating by Jews in that area. Also, imagine if an Israeli flag had been hoisted there instead. Imagine the furore.

EDIT: Apparently the flag was "ripped down in an act of vandalism." I have zero problem with that.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
Link

I think this is wrong. He is supposed to be serving the people and not his own interests and clearly this was put up based on his own political opinions. It is inappropriate and it could be seen as intimidating by Jews in that area. Also, imagine if an Israeli flag had been hoisted there instead. Imagine the furore.

EDIT: Apparently the flag was "ripped down in an act of vandalism." I have zero problem with that.

I agree. Besides did he erect a flag in support of Syrians or Iraqis suffering from oppression? It's like he's saying one cause is more worthy than any other.
Reply 2
Same thing happened in Preston.

It's disgusting.

What has happened to Britain?
I'm surprised that's legal, to be honest.

Surely a government building should not be flying the flag of a different country in an official capacity?
Reply 4
In fairness, you should see the strength of the pro-Israel lobby from places like Barnet and Ilford.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I'm surprised that's legal, to be honest.

Surely a government building should not be flying the flag of a different country in an official capacity?

I agree, it must have broken a rule. Either way I find it very distasteful. Apparently the Mayor in question has a lot to deal with already. Accusations of links to extremists groups, accusations of winning the election unfairly. He seems like quite a card.
Original post by Clip
In fairness, you should see the strength of the pro-Israel lobby from places like Barnet and Ilford.

If an Israeli flag had be hoisted at a town hall I would have disliked that too. It's not the place for that sort of thing.
Reply 7
Original post by thunder_chunky
If an Israeli flag had be hoisted at a town hall I would have disliked that too. It's not the place for that sort of thing.

These silly token gestures are the staple of loony-left councils and have been for decades. Remember how many council blocks and streets there are named after Nelson Mandela?

What is strange is that these councils aren't really representing anyone but themselves - the Palestinian population must be zero or close to it. The councils/constituencies that get very heavily pro-Israel usually have massive Jewish populations. Although such areas are usually Conservative held by tradition, when they have had Labour MPs/councillors, it's no different - Andrew Dismore (Hendon MP until last election) was as rabidly pro-Israel as you can get - but like I say, at least he represented a section of his constituents.
Original post by Clip
These silly token gestures are the staple of loony-left councils and have been for decades. Remember how many council blocks and streets there are named after Nelson Mandela?

What is strange is that these councils aren't really representing anyone but themselves - the Palestinian population must be zero or close to it. The councils/constituencies that get very heavily pro-Israel usually have massive Jewish populations. Although such areas are usually Conservative held by tradition, when they have had Labour MPs/councillors, it's no different - Andrew Dismore (Hendon MP until last election) was as rabidly pro-Israel as you can get - but like I say, at least he represented a section of his constituents.

You don't need to be Palestinian to be pro-Palestine. Likewise, you don't need to be Jewish to be pro-Israel. So, how have you concluded that Lutfur Rahman did not represent his constituents when he put the flag up?
Reply 9
Rahman is right ****er, to be honest.
Poor, 'oppressed' Palis firing rockets from civilian areas which scares the poo out of a reporter. Shame some people in the world think Israelis should just put up with this day in and day out.

Where's Israel's flag on the mayor's office for putting up with this for 13 years?

Disgusting that Britain has become an extension of Pakistan.
Reply 11
Original post by SHallowvale
You don't need to be Palestinian to be pro-Palestine. Likewise, you don't need to be Jewish to be pro-Israel. So, how have you concluded that Lutfur Rahman did not represent his constituents when he put the flag up?

Ok, so as long as you have enough Palestine groupies living nearby, you can abuse your position in local government as much as you like?
No flags should be put up anywhere. Neither sides are in the right, Britain should just stay neutral. I'd rather them put up a flag that had both flags on it and the peace sign? Picking sides isn't going to get anyone anywhere.
Original post by Clip
Ok, so as long as you have enough Palestine groupies living nearby, you can abuse your position in local government as much as you like?

I never said that. I am asking how you can conclude that Lutfur Rahman did not represent his constituents.

I'm not supporting Lutfur (personally I don't see any need for him to have put up the flag), i'm just asking you a question.
Tower Hamlets is the biggest joke in London tbh.
Reply 15
Original post by tnetennba
Tower Hamlets is the biggest joke in London tbh.

How so?
Surely that has to be a joke? is that even legal

Glad it was ripped down.
Reply 17
Original post by Pinzgauer
Disgusting that Britain has become an extension of Pakistan.

What's Pakistan got to do with it?

Personally, I don't think the raising of a foreign flag at a government building was right.
Reply 18
The racism in this thread is utterly unbelievable.
Nonetheless, that Mayor shouldn't really have done that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Peju
How so?

The mayor is completely corrupt and has links with the IFE http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/andrewgilligan/100112318/lutfur-rahman-all-his-controversies-in-one-place/

The council are notorious for dodgy behaviour. Hence why Tower Hamlets took so long to deliver the results for the European elections this year. Following the election, dozens of allegations of voter fraud, intimidation and vote-buying were made and are now under investigation by the Electoral Commission and police.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending