The Student Room Group

Have you spoken to random people around your university?

like inthe canteen
or the library ?
Sometimes if they look nice enough!
Reply 2
Original post by Reluctant Economist
Sometimes if they look nice enough!

Is it usually awkward?
Not really. People are interesting so the conversation flows...
Reply 4
Original post by Reluctant Economist
Not really. People are interesting so the conversation flows...

Do u have quit outgoing persona? Or did ya challenge your self
Original post by Alumna
Do u have quit outgoing persona? Or did ya challenge your self

Challenge. One random person a day. Sometimes its just a compliment and sometimes it can be an hour long chat. Try it. Whats the worse that can happen?
Reply 6
I wouldn't really go up to someone eating in the canteen or reading in the library to strike up a random conversation. However, there are plenty of opportunities to meet people in the right setting. House parties, socials, societies, course friends, clubs/pubs/bars etc.
Depends on the setting, but the library is usually where the magic happens if you know what I mean. True story.
I generally talk to random people in the library during coffee breaks, made some good friends through it. Prior to uni I was the most socially awkward guy ever.
I don't usually approach people in the library or when I'm getting food etc because I'm generally trying to get stuff done or just grab a bite to eat really quickly, but I've had people start chatting to me in the library. I don't like it. I get that they're just being friendly, but come on, I'm clearly trying to get things done. I have a really tight schedule though, so if I don't get things done when I've planned them, I have to lose out on sleep or not do them at all.

I like chatting to random people when I'm waiting for lectures and none of my friends are there yet or something. I just think there's a time and a place to make new friends, and a library desk isn't one of them.

edit: saying that, I'm never rude when people do chat to me in the library, I'm always pleasant. I just don't make much of an effort to get to know their life story.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending