The Student Room Group

Advanced Placement and UK students

Can UK students do AP's or is it not available here?
Original post by JayJay-C19

It's not common unless you go to an American school or potentially teach yourself and book a private test (I know you can definitely do this for SATs). The IB is the favored alternative to A-Levels.
The first question would be why do you want to do APs? Depending on your situation, there are probably better alternatives out there.

I think they only offer the SAT or ACT tests. AP's are pretty much like AS Levels, so I don't believe they offer them.

Why are you interested in taking an AP by the way?

Hey again, I'd advise this.

Do the SAT/ACT or both, do the SAT subject tests(I'm doing 4 min) maybe Eng lit if I can cope etc., minimum 4 A Levels.

And ace these tests, I'm going to tell you the truth from what I have heard.

Unless you are loaded with cash, international sports champions, know dean of admissions - your only shot is high academic results.

Yes you need stellar EC's, letter of recommendation but ace the tests first and foremost - they are the best chance.

Your AP's will interfere with your A Levels - and they cancel eachother out, note no-one at all in the US will have done the same so they wouldn't expect the same for UK or ROW.

If you are still set on AP's take a gap year post a levels and take them then.

The only people that take AP's in England are those that go to American schools TASIS or have lived in US and finishing their exams here.

Take it with a pinch of salt, but I have looked at it too.

Original post by Iggy Azalea
I think they only offer the SAT or ACT tests. AP's are pretty much like AS Levels, so I don't believe they offer them.

You can do them with an American school if they accept private candidates, factor in commuting distance, self-teaching, prep books, high invigilator fees.

It's like doing A Levels privately.
Reply 5
Original post by EmmaBxoxo
Hey again, I'd advise this.

Do the SAT/ACT or both, do the SAT subject tests(I'm doing 4 min) maybe Eng lit if I can cope etc., minimum 4 A Levels.

And ace these tests, I'm going to tell you the truth from what I have heard.

Unless you are loaded with cash, international sports champions, know dean of admissions - your only shot is high academic results.

Yes you need stellar EC's, letter of recommendation but ace the tests first and foremost - they are the best chance.

Your AP's will interfere with your A Levels - and they cancel eachother out, note no-one at all in the US will have done the same so they wouldn't expect the same for UK or ROW.

If you are still set on AP's take a gap year post a levels and take them then.

The only people that take AP's in England are those that go to American schools TASIS or have lived in US and finishing their exams here.

Take it with a pinch of salt, but I have looked at it too.

You can do them with an American school if they accept private candidates, factor in commuting distance, self-teaching, prep books, high invigilator fees.

It's like doing A Levels privately.

Thank you so much for your advice. I didn't want to do one, I just wondered. Could you PM me? I really want to talk to you! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Iggy Azalea

Thanks for that; I didn't want to do one, I just wondered. I was thinking about the possibility of it and basically, it seems like there is none aha!
Thank you so much for your advice. I didn't want to do one, I just wondered. Could you PM me? I really want to talk to you! :smile:

I understand your reasoning I was looking at it too.

But if you're applying to Cam you may mess up your A*s. (Speaking from general perspective, you may be able to cope with a massive workload).

If you're going to AS in the fall, then the exams overalp AP's first two weeks of may, a2s last two weeks of may and onward.

Can you post oon my wall/feed - I keep running out of my quota lol
Reply 8
I understand your reasoning I was looking at it too.

But if you're applying to Cam you may mess up your A*s. (Speaking from general perspective, you may be able to cope with a massive workload).

If you're going to AS in the fall, then the exams overalp AP's first two weeks of may, a2s last two weeks of may and onward.

Can you post oon my wall/feed - I keep running out of my quota lol

I already did :smile:

I can't believe the number of a-levels you're doing. Haha!
I already did :smile:

I can't believe the number of a-levels you're doing. Haha!

Not sure if I got it lol, yeah :smile:

Do you programme?
Reply 10
Not sure if I got it lol, yeah :smile:

Do you programme?

What do you mean programme?

I shall send you another!
What do you mean programme?

I shall send you another!

Like C++/Java. Writing code for websites as such.

Lots of people do that as an EC/ or for comp science major - was thinking of taking it up :smile:
Reply 12
Like C++/Java. Writing code for websites as such.

Lots of people do that as an EC/ or for comp science major - was thinking of taking it up :smile:

No... I want to do a humanity.
No... I want to do a humanity.

Oh nice, have you done dofe?
Reply 14
Oh nice, have you done dofe?

No. It wasn't offered around me anywhere... unfortunately
No. It wasn't offered around me anywhere... unfortunately

Try doing at a local church, that's what I did - was pricey though admittingly
Reply 16