The Student Room Group

Do you look down on young mums?

Just a question.

Scroll to see replies

Like, it also depends what you mean by young, and I do not go around tutting at them, but in general people who are unable to effectively use contraception or who even want to have children at a young age (like, under 20) are not people I trust as parents. This does not mean I think I am a superior person to them (I try my best not to look down on people in general, for obvious reasons), just that they are doing a bad thing in having a child.
Reply 2
Original post by tysonmaniac
Like, it also depends what you mean by young, and I do not go around tutting at them, but in general people who are unable to effectively use contraception or who even want to have children at a young age (like, under 20) are not people I trust as parents. This does not mean I think I am a superior person to them (I try my best not to look down on people in general, for obvious reasons), just that they are doing a bad thing in having a child.

Young as in under 20, like the ones who have a child then go out clubbing every weekend. I know people will say they deserve a break but being a parent is a 24/7 job, you have a child so you have to look after them.
Reply 3
This exact thread comes up all the time, could you please rephrase it?

It's just begging for a really obvious and unsavoury joke.
Original post by saarah_
Young as in under 20, like the ones who have a child then go out clubbing every weekend. I know people will say they deserve a break but being a parent is a 24/7 job, you have a child so you have to look after them.

Many parents do deserve a break. The issue is not with parents taking time of (in fact, young parents are better equipped to do this since their own parents can often look after children in their place), but rather with the fact that young people are just on average much worse parents, tend to lack financial stability/independence, and if as you say they go out clubbing every weekend, are probably little more than children themselves.

But as I say, this is not always the case. There are young people in situations where they can be effective parents, and thus I do not look down on this group because I cannot easily differentiate (unless I have a personal relationship with said person, in which case I don't look down on them because I like them enough to have a personal relationship with them)

Also, all this applies equally to young fathers.
Reply 5
Original post by Clip
This exact thread comes up all the time, could you please rephrase it?

It's just begging for a really obvious and unsavoury joke.

I haven't actually seen a thread about young mothers on TSR but then again I don't spend much time on here.
There's nothing to look down on. If anything, we should be looking up to them.
Original post by RHyoudon'kno
There's nothing to look down on. If anything, we should be looking up to them.

lolk
Why?
Original post by tehforum
lolk
Why?

Takes guts to do what they do. :biggrin:

Never had any, never will...
Takes guts to do what they do. :biggrin:

Never had any, never will...

To be impregnated?
To be impregnated?

No. To go through so much trouble at such a young age.

Yes, and what about the life choices that led up to the pregnancy?

Failure to use contraception?
Failure to take a pill?
Reply 12

By that rationale, we should all be in awe of young offenders.
Reply 13
Not really. It'd be for other reasons, if at all. Nothing to do with age though.
Yes, and what about the life choices that led up to the pregnancy?

Failure to use contraception?
Failure to take a pill?

Original post by Clip
By that rationale, we should all be in awe of young offenders.

Everyone makes mistakes. Most women know better after they have such responsibility to take care of.
Everyone makes mistakes. Most women know better after they have such responsibility to take care of.

And another citizen of our society remains economically inactive to foster a culture of having kids at a young age.
And another citizen of our society remains economically inactive to foster a culture of having kids at a young age.

It's just what I think. :biggrin:
Original post by saarah_
Just a question.

Yes.
Only if I can tell they're not ready to have children at that age
Reply 19

That doesn't really make sense.

Show some empathy, perhaps - but the idea of applauding someone for having made mistakes is a bit bizarre.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending