The Student Room Group

How do I handle this job situation?

I'm currently looking/applying for jobs during my gap year and will hopefully soon be interviewing for several of them. Two of the jobs are fixed term and the other is full time.

However one of the jobs is at a place where a family member works and they advised me to apply because I would be likely to get it. I did apply but now I'm pretty sure the job isn't for me for several reasons. It's a nightmare to get to (two buses, different companies so I can't get a bus pass, and a fifteen minute walk to get there every day) which I don't fancy in the winter, it's only fixed term so I'd have to get another job anyway and my family member working there puts me off because I don't want to be invasive/make them feel like they have to babysit me or just be known as their family member and not myself.

The other jobs I've applied for have mid-August deadlines but this one has been open for a while so if I do get an interview and offer, I don't know how to decline/ask for time to consider due to other interviews. At the same time I don't want to accept the job if I could have one of the others I would much prefer but I don't want to decline if those turn out to be unsuccessful and be back at square one. I know it would be useful for experience and a reference but at the same time I feel so nervous about that particular job when in fact I want to feel excited about working and earning for myself.

Basically, how do I go about this? (They all pay the same so it's not a factor)

Thank you so much, sorry if my explanation isn't clear, it's almost 2am and I'm stressed as poo.
Reply 1
I have an interview there next week??
Original post by weevilface

How many job offers do you currently have? And how many interviews do you have lined up?
Reply 3
No solid offers yet, and just this interview (the position has been open a while and I think they really need someone which is why I think they got back so quick). I'm not too opposed to the job now but just out of interest what is the protocol for having a job offer but still having interviews for jobs that you'd prefer?
Original post by weevilface
No solid offers yet, and just this interview (the position has been open a while and I think they really need someone which is why I think they got back so quick). I'm not too opposed to the job now but just out of interest what is the protocol for having a job offer but still having interviews for jobs that you'd prefer?

There's no protocol as such, it's a dilemma most people have at some point when job hunting, and you just have to decide to do what's best and hope it works out.

You need to get clear the difference between full-time v part-time and fixed term v permanent.

Broadly speaking, and it's not always true, employers are more sympathetic to you accepting a fixed term contract and then bailing on it because you get a permanent offer, than they are if you accept a part-time contract and then bail because you get a full-time contract.

You could ask the family link company if you can delay the interview for a week or so, using holidays as an excuse, but that might not work if the family member knows otherwise. You might be able to talk it through with the family member and see what they say. Otherwise, you have to take a gamble, but you really only have a dilemma if come mid August

a) you have an offer from one company and interview invitations from others (do you go to the interviews?) and then another dilemma

b) if you get an offer from a later company (do you reject the job you've started or the second offer?).

You lose nothing much by going to the second interviews except a couple of day's leave if you've started job 1. If you get to situation 2, you know a lot more about job 1 and can make a much more informed decision.
Reply 5
Thank you! Two are fixed term, the other hasn't specified further than "flexible" hours. I can't change the interview since I've already confirmed I'll go, just in case nothing else does come along. I will probably take the job if I get offered it because I need a job, I need the money and the experience and a reference will be useful. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending