The Student Room Group

Engagement ring - How much to pay

is there a consensus on this- percentage of salary?. and also does it have to be new , with receipt to show when it was bought? ie it could be used but still very valuable , genuine diamond etc.

do women need to see the receipt, know when it was dated, bought etc?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The only thing you need a receipt for is to return it and get your money back if she says no.

The idea that you think a girl needs to see proof of cost causes a great disturbance in the Force.
To be honest if it were me I would never dream of asking for a receipt, or expect you to pay a certain amount of your wage on it.
Why on earth would she need to see the receipt to prove it was bought? You don't need to prove that to someone you're about to marry, there should be some trust!
(Though I'd keep the receipt in case she says no)
I thought it was only a disgusting Yank thing where they insist the engagement ring must be 3 months salary.

As for how much to spend? Spend how much you CAN afford rather than wish you could afford. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by joker12345
Why on earth would she need to see the receipt to prove it was bought? You don't need to prove that to someone you're about to marry, there should be some trust!
(Though I'd keep the receipt in case she says no)

but what if she wanted to know where you bought it from?
Reply 6
Original post by Alfissti
I thought it was only a disgusting Yank thing where they insist the engagement ring must be 3 months salary.

As for how much to spend? Spend how much you CAN afford rather than wish you could afford. :smile:

in theory i could afford a years salary on loan and pay it off bit by bit while eating bread and cheese for 3 years.

im asking what is the general consensus
Original post by Anonymous

I don't know why she would to be honest. Why, do you have a sense that she will want to know where you purchased it?
As little as possible. :smile:
Reply 9

3-months was a Japanese thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they do it in Hong Kong too.

In America, it was supposedly 2-months, but even that stems from an advertising campaign by (surprise, surprise) Debeers.
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I don't know why she would to be honest. Why, do you have a sense that she will want to know where you purchased it?

i am aware that girls see shoes or handbag sometime and want to know where it was bought, sometimes find out what it cost
also- what is your opinion on receiving what is a previously used ring ( in nice condition mind) as oppossed to a brand new one
i am aware that girls see shoes or handbag sometime and want to know where it was bought, sometimes find out what it cost
also- what is your opinion on receiving what is a previously used ring ( in nice condition mind) as oppossed to a brand new one

See personally I wouldn't actually mind, but I think the answers you get to buying a used ring may vary a bit more
Reply 12

I am getting concerned here.

Are you actually about to propose to someone?

The vibe I'm getting here is of giving a toddler a hand grenade.
in theory i could afford a years salary on loan and pay it off bit by bit while eating bread and cheese for 3 years.

im asking what is the general consensus

However much you could afford without taking out a loan. A loan for an engagement ring is stupid, plus you're getting married so it'll both of your lives/money you'll be spending away! I'd much rather you keep your future money to do stuff together than be repaying a big diamond on my finger

I guess she could ask as a curiosity thing, in which case tell her, you dont need to give her a receipt!
Original post by Clip
I am getting concerned here.

Are you actually about to propose to someone?

The vibe I'm getting here is of giving a toddler a hand grenade.

what concern is it of yours, unless im proposing to your mother, mind your business.

im looking for people who can give info here from actual experience, not talk nonsense
See personally I wouldn't actually mind, but I think the answers you get to buying a used ring may vary a bit more

ok thats interesting, see you could have a used ring that maybe had 2 carats diamond in there, or a brand new boxed one with all the papers, but only half a carat
ok thats interesting, see you could have a used ring that maybe had 2 carats diamond in there, or a brand new boxed one with all the papers, but only half a carat

But its not about carats, its about love. Honestly, just get a nice little ring, not too expensive and propose.
But its not about carats, its about love. Honestly, just get a nice little ring, not too expensive and propose.

obviously the ring matters , otherwise men would propose with an onion ring.

all relationship things being equal, im seeing what the overall preferences are in terms of ring type, new or used, modern or antique, average cost, paperwork or no paperwork etc.

Your display picture / avatar shows an Israeli flag. If you are Jewish then you shouldn't worry because any Jewish diamond merchant will give you a diamond ring at low price or perhaps free :tongue: Hehehehe

Anyway, I agree with you.

Quick Reply

Latest