The Student Room Group

Imperial or LSE for Masters in Finance/Finance related course???

Quick summary : Trying to get into Investment Banking, Currently Looking for an internship with a boutique bank, also plan on applying for a masters for 2015 entry. Got a 1st class in financial economics from a non target that is listed as 27th or 45th in the UK depending on where you look.

Imperial college offers a course called investment and wealth management, looks very attractive, its modules are quite similar, to LSE's Accounting and Finance masters... to the point where im really stuck on the branding.

LSE or IMPERIAL COLLEGE for investment banking?

N.B - After my masters i plan on doing an MBA later in my 30's or late 20's. Is that too much? Having a masters and an MBA?

The reason i'm leaning towards a masters is because i noticed that most VP'S and Senior VP's have masters in finance plus an MBA as opposed to associates who just have an MBA.

Let me know your opinion on this, maybe my observation is just skewed; i don't know

Thanks
Original post by flygirl64
Quick summary : Trying to get into Investment Banking, Currently Looking for an internship with a boutique bank, also plan on applying for a masters for 2015 entry. Got a 1st class in financial economics from a non target that is listed as 27th or 45th in the UK depending on where you look.

Imperial college offers a course called investment and wealth management, looks very attractive, its modules are quite similar, to LSE's Accounting and Finance masters... to the point where im really stuck on the branding.

N.B - After my masters i plan on doing an MBA later in my 30's or late 20's. Is that too much? Having a masters and an MBA?

The reason i'm leaning towards a masters is because i noticed that most VP'S and Senior VP's have masters in finance plus an MBA as opposed to associates who just have an MBA.

Let me know your opinion on this, maybe my observation is just skewed; i don't know

Thanks

I would take Imperial over LSE, honestly. Not just cos of IB but cos of exit opportunities from IB you'd get with a name like Imperial. But heh... Look... You need money (to get the Masters and MBA, which you HAVE to pay upfront and not with loans, right?) in order to get money (i.e. a job in IB). That's how this world works.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by flygirl64

Thanks

LSE is better regarded in the city IMO.. But only marginally so with a choice of those 2 degree courses I would go for imperial... 'Accounting and finance' definitely doesn't sound as well suited for IB.. Even if the modules are the same..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Imperial > LSE.

LSE is too overrated imo.
Original post by Kabulkid
Imperial > LSE.

Yep. You can see it in the average Imperial starting salary of £28k vs LSE's at £26k or so. It's actually about £1600 lower. Simply, the best bachelors for IB is engineering at Imperial. 90% of the guys that do that become the insanely paid, 5% of IBs that are quants. Baller lives...
Reply 5
Original post by Wisefire
I would take Imperial over LSE, honestly. Not just cos of IB but cos of exit opportunities from IB you'd get with a name like Imperial. But heh... Look... You need money (to get the Masters and MBA, which you HAVE to pay upfront and not with loans, right?) in order to get money (i.e. a job in IB). That's how this world works.

I can apply for funding / scholarships for the masters and maybe for the MBA but im not too worried on the MBA part because by then i'd have the money to do that.
Reply 6
It's interesting, everyone says imperial; looks like that's where i'll be heading to then.
Reply 7
Original post by Wisefire
Yep. You can see it in the average Imperial starting salary of £28k vs LSE's at £26k or so. It's actually about £1600 lower. Simply, the best bachelors for IB is engineering at Imperial. 90% of the guys that do that become the insanely paid, 5% of IBs that are quants. Baller lives...

Original post by Kabulkid
Imperial > LSE.

Original post by mizzsnazzter
LSE is better regarded in the city IMO.. But only marginally so with a choice of those 2 degree courses I would go for imperial... 'Accounting and finance' definitely doesn't sound as well suited for IB.. Even if the modules are the same..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interesting advice, i thought the same aswell because of the course name as its better suited for IB. I reckon they both got similar networks for possible recruitment at any of the big firms..

I'll go for imperial then.. and then maybe apply for harvard mba a few years down the line.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending