The Student Room Group

How does A level and IGSCE exams work in terms of times?

I am from overseas, and I am a private candidate, so I do not really know exactly how things work. I understand that the common way is to take your IGSCE exams around May/June when you are 16 and then take A level exams in May/June when you are 18, but how does that work in terms of sending your scores to the university you want to attend? Because if you take A level exams at 18 does that mean you go to college at 19, or do you not send your A level results to the university admissions because you have not had them yet?

I hope I am not too confusing, sorry.

Thanks a lot
Original post by wyf101
I am from overseas, and I am a private candidate, so I do not really know exactly how things work. I understand that the common way is to take your IGSCE exams around May/June when you are 16 and then take A level exams in May/June when you are 18, but how does that work in terms of sending your scores to the university you want to attend? Because if you take A level exams at 18 does that mean you go to college at 19, or do you not send your A level results to the university admissions because you have not had them yet?

I hope I am not too confusing, sorry.

Thanks a lot

Assuming you mean applying to a university via ucas http://www.ucas.com/ You apply to university before you take your final a level exams with grades predicted by your teachers. With current specifications, you can take AS exams at the end of first year of A level study that contribute 50% of the overall grade AND provide a useful confirmation of the credibility of the overall prediction. This will change as new specifications are introduced for first teaching in 2015 and for additional subjects in 2016 so that the A level result is based only on the exams taken at the end of study. As a private candidate you would have to make your own predictions that should be realistic based on your academic track record. If a university decides to offer you a place it will be conditional on achieving specific grades in the final exams you will take. When results come out in august your place will be confirmed if you meet the requirements of your offer or possibly if you just fall short of it. If you don't get a place you can either try to find one through the clearing process or apply again the following year while maybe resitting exams to improve grades.

If you are applying to university in your home country I have no idea what the process would be.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest