The Student Room Group

Best A level subjects to choose for a computer science degree or law

I want to either do a computer science degree or law, im not big on sciences i find them hard, what would be the easiest subjects to do at a level that can still get me a degree ?
Reply 1
For Law - History, Politics,English Language/Lit all seem to be prefered although it does depend on the uni

Computer science - Only one i can think of would be Maths and some form of IT?

I applied for Law so dont take my word on the Computer Science A levels but a friend of mine who is going on to do it did Maths and IT :smile:

No ''easy'' subjects will get you into those degrees aha.
If you're not big on science, a computer science degree is not for you. It involves programming, maths, physics, etc.
Reply 3
If you don't like science, a computer science degree will probably be torture for you! Law on the other hand needs subjects that shows reasoning, logical thinking and arguing skills. A-levels that provide these are essay based subjects, so I'd definitely take at least one of a 'hard' subject, such as History or English Literature or both. Then mix it up a bit! Politics would be helpful, so would geography and perhaps also take a science to show you're well rounded? Unless you're planning to attend the very best universities, I wouldn't worry too much about the calibre of a-levels you take, but if you are definitely stick to the traditional subjects and go to debate clubs and get lots of work experience. Good luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by josephjunior
I want to either do a computer science degree or law, im not big on sciences i find them hard, what would be the easiest subjects to do at a level that can still get me a degree ?

Maths and further Maths are good for both (Cambridge positively likes law applicants who have done maths) and Maths A level is probably the single most useful A level to have. Computing would obviously be good for Computer Science but generally isn't essential as not all schools offer it but if you don't do it or Further maths then you should probably do Physics or Electronics.

Some form of essay subject (with History or English Lit being the preferred options) is a good idea if you are considering Law but not as essential as people seem to think (I know 2 people who have gone to good universities for Law (Cambridge and Nottingham) having done Maths, FM, Physics and French.).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest