The Student Room Group

What did u get for gcse?

What were ur gcse grades? And are the gcse grades that ppl get in 2014 different from the grades in 2012/2013 cuz the 2014 exams were linear?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I did mine in 2010 and got 5 A*s and 5 As.

I don't know if there is any difference in what people are getting now.
Original post by pacni
I did mine in 2010 and got 5 A*s and 5 As.

I don't know if there is any difference in what people are getting now.

Wow that's really good and what are u studying now? And did ur good gcse give u a head start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
In 2013 (and two GCSEs in 2012) I got 2B 6A 3A*, was so chuffed with my results :biggrin:

Edit: As for if results will be different now, these last few years GCSE results have been dropping because Gove is an idiot and wants to make exams harder for us, ugh. So there will probably be a drop with the 2014 exams results, partially because of its now linear-ness.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by blackorchard_01
Wow that's really good and what are u studying now? And did ur good gcse give u a head start

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not really... I mean obviously they helped but it's your A-Levels that are most important.

I went from straight As at AS Level to getting a U in one of my A2 papers, not really sure what happened to be honest. Anyway, I missed my firm offer by one grade (I had A*ACC, they were looking for A*AB) so I moved to Paris to work for a year, rethought what I wanted to do and now I'm currently studying Maths in UCD (Dublin).
I finished my GCSEs in 2013 (2 A*s, 5 As and a B) and they were really difficult to me, despite having two sets of January exams and March exams so there was more opportunity for resits. I could be considered a bit biased though as I had extenuating circumstances, but the general consensus (at my old school, at least) seemed to be that a linear setup would have been harder.
(edited 9 years ago)
(2012) 4A*s 5As and 2Bs. I was devastated at the time (:lol:) but happy with them now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
6A* and 3 A's at GCSE in 2013 last year.

But A levels are way more difficult if i could redo me gcse's now i would have defiantly got all A*'s because its way more easy than a levels.
I did mine in 2011-2012, I got 7 As, 4 Bs and 2 Cs.
I don't think I would have got those grades if my exams were linear, modules made the workload a lot more manageable.
Did them in 2013, got 9 A*s and 2 A's,and the A's were in subject that we did in year 10. Only did a couple of modular exams, like Geography and History, but reckon it did help quite a bit
A*,4B,7C,D,E + A in addmaths fsmq (94/100)
Original post by laylarose
I finished my GCSEs in 2013 (2 A*s, 5 As and a B) and they were really difficult to me, despite having two sets of January exams and March exams so there was more opportunity for resits. I could be considered a bit biased though as I had extenuating circumstances, but the general consensus (at my old school, at least) seemed to be that a linear setup would have been harder.

How come you only did 8 GCSE's?
Original post by All-rounder
How come you only did 8 GCSE's?

That was the maximum you could do at my school :frown:
in 2012 to 2013 academic year I achieved 1 A*, 5 A's and 5 B's, as well as an extra maths GCSE at a B because for some reason I sat modular and Linear so I came out with two grades haha. Looking back, I could definitely do better, but I'm more than pleased with my results considering I was lazy and didnt do an ounce of revision, plus now im in A levels the GCSE results become irrelevant and useless anyway. Not sure why people get so worked up about not getting all A*'s etc
That was the maximum you could do at my school :frown:

wow that sucks, ours was 12, but at the last minute they cancelled RE to give an extra lesson to science a week, so I had to choose out on whether I wanted to continue PE or leave it and go for RE.Both were easy GCSE's for me and I felt kinda cheated out of an easy A :/
Original post by All-rounder
wow that sucks, ours was 12, but at the last minute they cancelled RE to give an extra lesson to science a week, so I had to choose out on whether I wanted to continue PE or leave it and go for RE.Both were easy GCSE's for me and I felt kinda cheated out of an easy A :/

Yeah, although some people did an extra one in their second language (like Portuguese or whatever). And damn, that's kind of stupid on your school's part :lol:
Yeah, although some people did an extra one in their second language (like Portuguese or whatever). And damn, that's kind of stupid on your school's part :lol:

it really was, considering it didnt eve improve the grades most kids got because they wouldnt do any work in lesson anyway haha
Erm...in 2012 I think...8A*s and 3A's. Exceeded my expectations so I was happy. :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 19ACH98
Did you later realise that they weren't as important as you thought? I'm panicking right now about results because I'm hoping for 10A*s 2As, and I think I'll be devastated if I don't get those grades.

Yeah pretty much. To be honest, I was mostly upset at the time as I expected a bit better so it came as a bit of a shock. :redface: they got me where I wanted and amazing grades are not needed unless you're considering certain universities and courses. That would be amazing, and even if you got slightly lower they would still be excellent, so don't let it get you down! It's all about what you expect of yourself so I know how it's hard not to be disappointed, but you'll come to realise it doesn't matter! I hope you get what you wish for :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got 6 A* 6A and a B, was happy :h:

Original post by usycool1
Erm...in 2012 I think...8A*s and 3A's. Exceeded my expectations so I was happy. :tongue:

Cleaver cloggs :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest