The Student Room Group

How many of you would bring a rice cooker to uni?

I am for sure as I NEED to eat rice during dinner.
Anyone else?

In case you don't know what a rice cooker is, heres a picture of it:

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Do you mean a pan?
Not sure how big a rice cooker is, but it might be a bit of a pain space wise. Why not just boil rice using saucepan?
why cant you just buy ready to cook rice in a bag?
I'm definitely going to bring one!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by ahappydyl
Do you mean a pan?

Chinese people won't use pans to cook rice.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I personally don't think I could live without rice every day so yes, rice cooker all the way :tongue:
Original post by maryamzahid
why cant you just buy ready to cook rice in a bag?

I think a lot of people have gotten so used to using rice cookers in asian families that cooking rice in a bag is strange :P
Reply 8
I'm Chinese so of course I am bringing a rice cooker. I also suck at cooking so I'd probably die without it anyway.
Reply 9
I just ordered a microwaveable rice cooker a few days ago. I felt as an Asian there was something missing from my life. I don't see anything wrong with using it at uni, just make sure it's not too big as that could become a bit of a hassle.
Original post by Magnesium
I personally don't think I could live without rice every day so yes, rice cooker all the way :tongue:

Original post by james1211
Chinese people won't use pans to cook rice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Edminzodo
I'm definitely going to bring one!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Lanfan
I'm Chinese so of course I am bringing a rice cooker. I also suck at cooking so I'd probably die without it anyway.

my chinese brothers!!!

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
It's not the space that would be the issue. My halls didn't allow rice cookers for some weird health and safety reason. I still brought one anyway but used it maybe twice the whole year?
Reply 12
As an African, rice is something I eat everyday. I can't imagine a day without rice so I will be bringing the rice cooker with me :smile:
Original post by Kre
It's not the space that would be the issue. My halls didn't allow rice cookers for some weird health and safety reason. I still brought one anyway but used it maybe twice the whole year?

That's the only annoying thing :tongue: Some let you keep it in your room, some only let you have it in the kitchen and some just don't let you have one at all. I think one time, my sister could only have one that was made in england otherwise they confiscated it :lol:
My halls banned them but one of my friends brought one, it was a disaster haha. I don't know how but he set the rice on fire.
Reply 15
I bought one in Korea so I'll probably haul it to uni with me. But I can see myself using it, like, once or twice.
Why can't you just cook rice in a saucepan whats the difference?
Reply 17
I had no idea rice cookers were a fire hazard.. I'm worried about using mine now.
I'm probably going to take one, small one though. Good for steaming veg too :smile:
Original post by Angury
I had no idea rice cookers were a fire hazard.. I'm worried about using mine now.

Its mostly due to short circuit because they didn't wipe the cooker dry before cooking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending