The Student Room Group

Would you live in a £6,500 tiny house?

You can buy a mobile "tiny house kit for £6,500

It takes a few days to build up and then you're set!

The house comes 12 to 16 feet wide with an upstairs bedroom. The bathroom and kitchen are optional.

The company are marketing it to students:

Ok, its a Tiny House not a proper bricks and mortar property but its a start!
Take University Students as an example. They get accepted at a University in most cases away from home so have to stay in digs. The next step would be to gain student finance. The largest outlay for a student in this situation is living (Rent and Bills). Most students that have completed their term at uni then have to face the fact that they are £30,000 in debt, in some areas it could be as much as £50,000! Great start to working life... not!
Money that is spent on rent over the past few years has gone, they will not see any of that money back. However, WHAT IF...
Fully "OFF GRID" Tiny House communities could be just what they are looking for. The cost of a fully off grid tiny house would be roughly £20,000 - £25,000. The huge plus sides would be: a/ You are off grid so your bills are very small.
b/ A tiny house is approx 135 sq ft that ALSO has its own Shower room, WC, Double bed, Lounge and small Kitchen area. c/ At the end of Uni, you then have a Tiny House that is yours and can sell to another new coming student and get 80% of your money back which you can use to pay off the rest of your load! Debt free!

Spoiler

Or you know... you could live with your parents and go to your home university... or commute.
Living in a hut for 3 years would be ridiculous lol.
It looks so cute. But it's like living in a shed! :L
Reply 3
All water, drainage and electrics (for anything more than a single bulb) will require hooking up to a house feed. You're effectivly going to be living in a shed in someone's garden. I could definitely kit out a garden shed to a livable standard for way less than £6.5k.

It will have limited heating and you'll still be liable for bills. I dont see how this can claim to be cheaper to run than living in a shared house with bills split 4 ways.
Also where exactly would you set it up?
its a clever idea i will give them that, but it really needs to be polished.
Cute :puppyeyes: but I don't think I'd fit in there. My clothes alone would fill that :mmm:
No it would be better to just buy a mobile home and then you can park in numerous places and move anywhere. Alternatively just live in a caravan tbh and drive to uni in the morning to work and then back home at night.
Does it come with a hobbit?
:K: tiny house? looks more like a shed to me...
I'm not even a student and I'd live in that permanently.
It doesn't look safe. :no:
Reply 12
Original post by happysmile
:K: tiny house? looks more like a shed to me...

Original post by Reue
You're effectivly going to be living in a shed in someone's garden. I could definitely kit out a garden shed to a livable standard for way less than £6.5k.

Original post by ViolinGirl
It looks so cute. But it's like living in a shed! :L

It really is like a very expensive shed isn't it?

I really love the idea of minimalism and microhouses. There are some really nice ones here - http://news.distractify.com/culture/arts/hold-me-close-now-tiny-houses/

drool! This is making me want to play the sims!
I'd rather just live with my parents :yep:
Reply 14
I was going to say I'd love to live in something like that, then I saw the difficulties if getting electricity and water etc.

I would definitely like to live a tiny house, but that doesn't look very practical.

Quick Reply