The Student Room Group

Level 3 Extended Diploma in Animal Management?

Hi, so I'm going to college in September and was wondering what your thoughts are on Animal Management? Has anyone here took it, and if so what are your next plans and how did you find the course? I say this, because I'm not exactly sure if I should take this course, after I have read people's opinions on it, saying things like there aren't many jobs in the animal field or that it's a worthless course that doesn't teach you anything.

I'm currently torn between this BTEC or A-Levels. I don't think I will be able to study most A levels that I'm interested in as my Maths and English will only be around a C.

So to sum it up, what are your thoughts on this BTEC course, would you say it is worth it doing it? I just need to decide what's best for me. Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by QwerKiZ
Hi, so I'm going to college in September and was wondering what your thoughts are on Animal Management? Has anyone here took it, and if so what are your next plans and how did you find the course? I say this, because I'm not exactly sure if I should take this course, after I have read people's opinions on it, saying things like there aren't many jobs in the animal field or that it's a worthless course that doesn't teach you anything.

I'm currently torn between this BTEC or A-Levels. I don't think I will be able to study most A levels that I'm interested in as my Maths and English will only be around a C.

So to sum it up, what are your thoughts on this BTEC course, would you say it is worth it doing it? I just need to decide what's best for me. Thanks!

Heya, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see and reply.

You should also check out the new connect pages to find other people who have applied for the same courses as you!
Reply 2
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Heya, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see and reply.

You should also check out the new connect pages to find other people who have applied for the same courses as you!

Thanks, I'm still deciding on what to do so it would be good if I could get help. I'll check out the connect pages now.
Reply 3
Lmao just play Zoo Tycoon.
Reply 4
Original post by BenAssirati
Lmao just play Zoo Tycoon.

I highly doubt that it will give me any insight into what the animal industry is like, nor will it in anyway provide me with any help on choosing what college course to do.
Reply 5
Original post by QwerKiZ
I highly doubt that it will give me any insight into what the animal industry is like, nor will it in anyway provide me with any help on choosing what college course to do.

You haven't been playing it right then :wink:
Reply 6
Original post by BenAssirati
You haven't been playing it right then :wink:

Is that so? I guess I'll just invest the next few weeks of my life into playing it. That way I can add it to my CV and instantly become CEO of any company I choose :smile:.
Reply 7
Original post by QwerKiZ
Is that so? I guess I'll just invest the next few weeks of my life into playing it. That way I can add it to my CV and instantly become CEO of any company I choose :smile:.

That's the spirit :smile:
Original post by QwerKiZ

Hi, I've just completed my first year of Level 3 Animal Management. It definitely isn't easy due to the amount of coursework you have to complete for it (so far I have a lever arch folder bursting with completed assignments) and I have learnt a lot so far but then I guess that depends on where you study. When I finish the course I am planning on going into veterinary, whether it be nursing or medicine.
I previously did my As levels because I chose them over the BTEC and I really regret it as I knew I would benefit from a course based more on assignments rather than exams. What A levels are you thinking of doing?
Reply 9
Original post by Emma_Jayne95
Hi, I've just completed my first year of Level 3 Animal Management. It definitely isn't easy due to the amount of coursework you have to complete for it (so far I have a lever arch folder bursting with completed assignments) and I have learnt a lot so far but then I guess that depends on where you study. When I finish the course I am planning on going into veterinary, whether it be nursing or medicine.
I previously did my As levels because I chose them over the BTEC and I really regret it as I knew I would benefit from a course based more on assignments rather than exams. What A levels are you thinking of doing?

Thanks for your reply this is really useful.

I did animal care level 2 as a course in year 10 and 11 and enjoyed it, so I already know what the college is like and I have looked over the amount of coursework. However, I was talking to my friend and he said that the animal industry is difficult to get a job in and then I started doubting my choice. Mostly because I though Animal Management would be limiting in terms of employability after I left college and would require me to go to university.

The thing is, if I did A levels, I have no idea what courses I would do. There are a lot to choose from and you have to really look at the type of career you want and see what courses could lead you down the right path.
I did the level 2 animal care course for a year and came out with a D* and have just finished my Level 3 animal management with D*D*D*
I've literally just received my confirmation to go and study Animal Behaviour and Welfare as a degree at plymouth university :smile:

I absolutely loved the course, I went to do a levels and dropped out within a few months and signed up for it a couple of years later after having known for a while it's what I really wanted to do! Every industry is gonna be competitive for jobs, but if you have a passion for the subject and can stand out over other candidates then getting a job you're really going to enjoy shouldn't be a problem. Even if it's not the most well paid job in the world, I'd much rather being doing something I love than something I felt I had to do.
Reply 11
Hiya :smile: I haven't personally taken the course myself, but my older brother did... and he found it really enjoyable, the course itself has various pathways (such as small animal care, zoo animals, etc) but there's the animal care practicals, handling, work experience... it's hard work, but worth it :smile: good luck to you! :smile:

(it's a similar layout to health and social care, which is my topic)
Reply 12
Original post by Holliver
I did the level 2 animal care course for a year and came out with a D* and have just finished my Level 3 animal management with D*D*D*
I've literally just received my confirmation to go and study Animal Behaviour and Welfare as a degree at plymouth university :smile:

I absolutely loved the course, I went to do a levels and dropped out within a few months and signed up for it a couple of years later after having known for a while it's what I really wanted to do! Every industry is gonna be competitive for jobs, but if you have a passion for the subject and can stand out over other candidates then getting a job you're really going to enjoy shouldn't be a problem. Even if it's not the most well paid job in the world, I'd much rather being doing something I love than something I felt I had to do.

I feel the same way about doing a job you enjoy rather than one you felt you ought to do. I also just completed animal care level 2 with a D*, and if I went on to do level 3 I will try my hardest to get another. See the thing that I'm struggling with is that I've wanted to work with animals since I was very young, and I guess I just kinda followed that path. Now however, I'm starting to rethink my options I don't know what I really love anymore, career wise.

Original post by Samwin
Hiya :smile: I haven't personally taken the course myself, but my older brother did... and he found it really enjoyable, the course itself has various pathways (such as small animal care, zoo animals, etc) but there's the animal care practicals, handling, work experience... it's hard work, but worth it :smile: good luck to you! :smile:

(it's a similar layout to health and social care, which is my topic)

Do you mind if I ask what your brother does now?
Reply 13
:smile: He's studying for a foundation degree in animal management at university :smile: also works part time at a dog groomers :smile:
I've just finished my first year studying the City & Guilds qualification and have achieved a Distinction overall. I have taken the 90 credit diploma and will be completing the Extended Diploma in September. I am hoping to study Veterinary Nursing at Nottingham Trent next year. Animal Care jobs are incredibly rewarding and if you have an interest in the subject, go for it! Currently, I work in a reptile and aquatic based pet shop and I have banked an Animal Care assistant role in a veterinary practice where I will go in and complete a work experience every Tuesday for the next 9 months. I am confident that being a veterinary nurse is the way forward for me.

The C & G course was excellent, I think there were 5 'exam' like assignments and around 20 written essays, although I didn't find ANY piece of coursework a chore because of my passion for the subject. I achieved 7 distinctions and 2 merits in my units with a distinction overall and am very happy with this.

If you're passionate and interested in something you should choose it, you don't want to be stuck in something you don't enjoy.
Well I just finished my first year, which I have thoroughly enjoyed. I loved working with the animals. Almost all of my lessons were interesting and I definitely learned a lot, both in theory and in practicals and have worked my arse off to get a D* for my first year :smile:

I chose my course over A levels because I just didn't find doing A levels appealing, so for me the course was perfect.

Although the animal sector can be difficult to get into, it is incredibly rewarding and going to college and doing work experience in different kinds of places and leaving good impressions will help a lot, since people working in the animal sector seem to know each other. It's very helpful to network :biggrin:

I'm hoping to do a Zoology degree at university next year, and having the option to go on to university (providing that I have the grades, enough science content in my course and at least a B in GCSE maths) after was a definite bonus.

Many of the people on my group are returning next year, and the ones that aren't do not regret doing the course, as far as I know.

The parts of the course that I didn't enjoy so much was the work experience because it could be difficult to find placements at times, but as long as you get in there early, it shouldn't be too much of an issue and my college helped a lot with finding placements. In the practicals there is quite a lot of cleaning involved, although that isn't much of a negative in my view since we're doing it to keep the area clean and safe for humans and animals :smile:

I also learned a lot of skills (communication, team working, using initiative and all that good stuff) and gained so much confidence in myself and my abilities by working with the animals that I very much doubt I could have done if I had gone on to do A levels.

I actually can't wait to go back to college in September, haha :biggrin:
Is it possible to only take level 3 animal management for a year?
Original post by QwerKiZ

Id say you should do it only as long as you're passionate about it and have a long term career action plan... like you know exactly why you are doing the course ( im doing that course at the minute and so far its pretty fun and also particularly useful x
I am currently completing this course. I am close to finishing final year. I just wanted to know what career I can obtain by completing level 3 and level 2. I only chose to do the standard pathway for level 3 rather than
the veterinary medicine pathway. the standard pathway has a unit about veterinary nursing but I don't know where I can go from here as I don't want to attend University.

Quick Reply