The Student Room Group

I'm Fat and really need to lose weight

Hello everybody,

I currently weigh in at 10 Stone 7 Lbs, and have a height of 5 ft 9 inches. However it is clear that I am too heavy. When I sit down, I can feel ripples of fat converge like spare tyres around my stomach. Also, when I do my belt up, unless I wear my trouser high I can feel an overhang from my stomach over my trousers. I've tried so hard to lose weight, I attend Weight Watchers, walk/run at least 5 miles most days and consume no more than 2300 calories per day.

I'm an 18 year old male and really don't want to be fat for starting university. How much weight do I need to lose in order to be slim and how should I do it? Should I do more excercise, eat less or take diet tablets or a combination of all three?

Thanks for any responses.

Scroll to see replies

You're not too heavy, or fat.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Hello everybody,

I currently weigh in at 10 Stone 7 Lbs, and have a height of 5 ft 9 inches. However it is clear that I am too heavy. When I sit down, I can feel ripples of fat converge like spare tyres around my stomach. Also, when I do my belt up, unless I wear my trouser high I can feel an overhang from my stomach over my trousers. I've tried so hard to lose weight, I attend Weight Watchers, walk/run at least 5 miles most days and consume no more than 2300 calories per day.

I'm an 18 year old male and really don't want to be fat for starting university. How much weight do I need to lose in order to be slim and how should I do it? Should I do more excercise, eat less or take diet tablets or a combination of all three?

Eat less, move more
Reply 3
Yeah, that isn't even close to fat. Calling either troll or a body dysmorphic disorder.
Cut out the following foods; white carbs eg bread, pasta, rice. Processed sugar (replace with stevia or coconut sugar, honey or agave, maple syrup) incorporate more lean meats into your diet; chicken, turkey and more fruit and veg.
why don't you try to turn that fat into muscle...you say you walk/run most days after that do a couple of muscle building exercises. This will help you more, plus it will give you more of a slim look.
Hope it helps :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by xmertic
Eat less, move more

How many calories should I eat in a day? I've completely cut fat out of my diet as well as sugar or any carbonated drinks or in fact any drinks besides water. I've been living off of pasta, rice and tuna over the last month for my dinner but I'm worried that this may be too much Carbohydrates.
Reply 7
Original post by AlexKay99
Cut out the following foods; white carbs eg bread, pasta, rice. Processed sugar (replace with stevia or coconut sugar, honey or agave, maple syrup) incorporate more lean meats into your diet; chicken, turkey and more fruit and veg.

I've been eating Bachelors 'Super Pasta and Sauce' for the last few weeks. Is this white or brown pasta? If it's white, should I stop eating it? In addition to my last post, I also eat a lot of cous cous.
Reply 8
How many calories should I eat in a day? I've completely cut fat out of my diet as well as sugar or any carbonated drinks or in fact any drinks besides water. I've been living off of pasta, rice and tuna over the last month for my dinner but I'm worried that this may be too much Carbohydrates.

Living like that sounds worse that death...

But seriously, weighing ten and a half stone at your height s not even a little fat

Carbohydrate, carbohydrates and carbohydrates. Not good.
You're not fat by the way, far from it.

What I'm doing to lose weight isn't to cut foods out of my diet, but to cut down on how much I eat in a day. I now eat <1000 calories every day due to cutting down my portion sizes and eating a lot more fruit and veg. Maybe you should try that OP.
I've been eating Bachelors 'Super Pasta and Sauce' for the last few weeks. Is this white or brown pasta? If it's white, should I stop eating it? In addition to my last post, I also eat a lot of cous cous.

I think it's safe to cut out the carbs at least for now, eat more veg and meat and work out. :smile:

Try to limit yourself to 2000 calories. Eat LOTS of fruits, bananas, apples, pears, grapes, any type of berries. Pasta and rice are good, but don't eat too much as it'll be a lot of carbs adding up. Maybe 1 portion a day?

One thing I think you should eat LOTS of is chicken breast and fresh fish. This will give you loads of protein and it isn't bad in anyway. I'd also recommend rice crackers, they are really nice and you can get them in loads of flavours. My personal favourite is Thai sweet chili from Aldi, they are VERY cheap.

Two imperative aspects to weight loss though, don't starve yourself, that won't help at all. If you can, exercise, don't over do yourself. But exercise will enable you to see a much more rapid loss in weight, especially at first. Try and focus on cardio, I know a friend who's a big guy who only does weights... he's still fat.

Good luck, I hope this helps! It should do as I used to weigh about 20 stone, I'm 6'5 and I managed to get down to about 12 stone at my lightest :smile: But I'm back up to like 15 and a half now. Could do with loosing a bit again aha :smile:
Original post by thechemistress
Carbohydrate, carbohydrates and carbohydrates. Not good.
You're not fat by the way, far from it.

What I'm doing to lose weight isn't to cut foods out of my diet, but to cut down on how much I eat in a day. I now eat <1000 calories every day due to cutting down my portion sizes and eating a lot more fruit and veg. Maybe you should try that OP.

I'll eat a more fruit and veg, hopefully that will fill me up in a healthy way. Why is it not good having lots of pasta, rice and cous cous? I thought they were healthy foods as the were low in fat.
Original post by lucaf
Living like that sounds worse that death...

But seriously, weighing ten and a half stone at your height s not even a little fat

I didn't think it was that bad. Do you mean that it's unhealthy or is it boring?
Reply 14
I didn't think it was that bad. Do you mean that it's unhealthy or is it boring?

boring, so boring!
Original post by xmertic
Try to limit yourself to 2000 calories. Eat LOTS of fruits, bananas, apples, pears, grapes, any type of berries. Pasta and rice are good, but don't eat too much as it'll be a lot of carbs adding up. Maybe 1 portion a day?

One thing I think you should eat LOTS of is chicken breast and fresh fish. This will give you loads of protein and it isn't bad in anyway. I'd also recommend rice crackers, they are really nice and you can get them in loads of flavours. My personal favourite is Thai sweet chili from Aldi, they are VERY cheap.

Two imperative aspects to weight loss though, don't starve yourself, that won't help at all. If you can, exercise, don't over do yourself. But exercise will enable you to see a much more rapid loss in weight, especially at first. Try and focus on cardio, I know a friend who's a big guy who only does weights... he's still fat.

Good luck, I hope this helps! It should do as I used to weigh about 20 stone, I'm 6'5 and I managed to get down to about 12 stone at my lightest :smile: But I'm back up to like 15 and a half now. Could do with loosing a bit again aha :smile:

Wow, that's so much weight to lose, well done you!! I'll try doing a bit more running to raise my heart rate and burn off more carbs I've ate. I got a bit ill though after running 10km when I forgot my water bottle once, so I'll try not to over do it! I like having lots of peas, sweet corn and carrots for veg and fruit wise I like bananas and occasionally oranges. At the moment i eat a tin of John West tuna per day, does that count as fresh and healthy fish?
I'll eat a more fruit and veg, hopefully that will fill me up in a healthy way. Why is it not good having lots of pasta, rice and cous cous? I thought they were healthy foods as the were low in fat.

Low in fat, but not in calories. Not all healthy food are good for weight loss.
Original post by lucaf
boring, so boring!

True it's a bit boring, but it keeps me safe from putting on weight! I forgot to point out in my OP that this time last year I was 16 stone at a time when I used to spend £10 a day on McDonalds/Burger King/ pizza and lots of sweets, crisps , chocolate and fizzy drinks out of Home Bargains. I haven't been to any of these places since as I'm so desparate not to go back to how I used to eat! I used to eat a large Bug Tasty meal on the bus home from school every night before eating a 100g bag of haribo or bar of Dairy Milk whilst i done my homework / revised, it was awful!
Wow, that's so much weight to lose, well done you!! I'll try doing a bit more running to raise my heart rate and burn off more carbs I've ate. I got a bit ill though after running 10km when I forgot my water bottle once, so I'll try not to over do it! I like having lots of peas, sweet corn and carrots for veg and fruit wise I like bananas and occasionally oranges. At the moment i eat a tin of John West tuna per day, does that count as fresh and healthy fish?

Thanks :smile: Good, yeah! Well like I said, do the running, just not to the point where you hurt yourself. Just need to know your limits :smile:

Yeah, just keep eating the good stuff :biggrin: If you feel like you need a snack, go for the fruit :smile: It's not exactly fresh, but I eat it myself so I'd say it's fine! Just remember to get rid of all the fat off any meat you cook :smile:
Hello everybody,

Just keep slimming until you finally feel comfortable with yourself. The worst thing someone can do here is set you an unrealistic and unachievable goal which will inevitably leave you feeing insecure.

More exercise is definitely a good thing to help with weight loss, make sure you're doing the right type though. Cardio is what you're looking for, and includes things like running, swimming, cycling, basically anything that will keep you moving for quite some time.

Also, eating less may not be the best thing. If you dont get the proper intake of calories you need each day then you're body will go into a 'survival mode' for lack of a better word. It means it'll use the bare minimum and store as much as possible because it thinks there will be a shortage of food. What you want to do is make sure you're eating the right kinds of food, making sure you have proper portion sizes and sticking to them regardless of how hungry you get so that you can get used to them and stay slim for a lot longer.

There are many websites and government programs to help out with these, so if you want to look for some then a quick google will suffice.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest