The Student Room Group

Scottish unis in #Clearing2014

We have just received some great info from the Scottish universities.

Queen Margaret, Edinburgh Napier and UWS will all be offering #Clearing2014 from Tuesday 5th August exclusively to Scottish students.

Check out this new article, and tell me what you think in this thread - if there happens to be anything unclear, or any improvements I could make to the content.

I'll be updating it if I catch wind of any more Scottish unis offering Clearing places. Currently there are a few that haven't decided either way.

Hope this is useful for you all and can help you prepare for next Tuesday :smile:

---
SAE Institute Glasgow has clearing places!

BA/BSc Audio Production course - 4 Places Available
BA/BSc Digital Film Making - 5 Places Available
Website
(edited 9 years ago)
What's the situation with adjustment? Just curious
Original post by scotland101

You can use adjustment if you exceed your offer i.e. you results were better than your offer from your firm university.

If you have exceeded you can contact universities to see if they are willing to offer you a place. We haven't asked Scottish universities this particular question but if you do better than expected then maybe it's worth asking the question and giving them a call once you have your results.

Universities don't advertise whether they will "offering" adjustment like they do clearing but it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't willing to consider it. We have an article here on it.

Does that help? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
You can use adjustment if you exceed your offer i.e. you results were better than both your predicted grades and offer from your firm university.

If you have exceeded you can contact universities to see if they are willing to offer you a place. We haven't asked Scottish universities this particular question but if you do better than expected then maybe it's worth asking the question and giving them a call once you have your results.

Universities don't advertise whether they will "offering" adjustment like they do clearing but it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't willing to consider it. We have an article here on it.

Does that help? :smile:

Yes thank you, is it right to assume that if there are no places left for clearing there will be no places left for adjustment?
Yes thank you, is it right to assume that if there are no places left for clearing there will be no places left for adjustment?

There is no way of knowing. If some students don't make their offer then they may free up places which could be used in adjustment. It's definitely worth calling the individual university to ask on results day or maybe enquire now if you think you have aced your exams! :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
There is no way of knowing. If some students don't make their offer then they may free up places which could be used in adjustment. It's definitely worth calling the individual university to ask on results day or maybe enquire now if you think you have aced your exams! :smile:

Well I got an offer from the university but I wasn't 100% sure on the course and they refused to consider allowing me changing the course of my offer to one that I wanted to do so I declined. I am pretty certain I have exceeded my offer, I am just considering applying for the course that I would like to do at that same university I declined.

Definitely have a look on University web pages as well! For example, Glasgow are going to have a few courses for their peripheral campuses available for Clearing/Adjustment!
Hi everyone!

The Clearing 2014 for universities in Scotland has been updated today! Check it out - SQA Results: Guide to Scottish Clearing 2014

:smile:
Original post by She-Ra
You can use adjustment if you exceed your offer i.e. you results were better than both your predicted grades and offer from your firm university.

You don't need to exceed your predicted grades :nah: You just need to meet and exceed your firm offer :smile:
Original post by Origami Bullets
You don't need to exceed your predicted grades :nah: You just need to meet and exceed your firm offer :smile:

I know :smile: I was referring to the fact that adjustment was brought in to play by UCAS for students whose offers were based on poorly predicted grades which if they then aced and exceeded their offer they could "adjust"!

:party::party:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by She-Ra
I know :smile: I was referring to the fact that adjustment was brought in to play by UCAS for students whose offers were based on poorly predicted grades which if they then aced and exceeded their offer they could "adjust"!

:party::party:

I take your point about the purpose of Adjustment, although I was confused at first reading of your post - as far as I'm aware it isn't a prerequisite of Adjustment that you exceed your predicted grades.

For instance, if I was predicted AAA and applied to an ABB university, I could still use Adjustment even if I "only" got AAB - which would seem to contradict your earlier post. :tongue:
Dundee have published their vacancies too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2766660 including courses open to Scottish students.

A bunch of the rest of the UK universities have started posting vacancy lists as well.
Original post by Blackacre
I take your point about the purpose of Adjustment, although I was confused at first reading of your post - as far as I'm aware it isn't a prerequisite of Adjustment that you exceed your predicted grades.

For instance, if I was predicted AAA and applied to an ABB university, I could still use Adjustment even if I "only" got AAB - which would seem to contradict your earlier post. :tongue:

Thanks :tongue: I can certainly see your point, I hope I haven't caused much confusion. You're definitely all set for next Thursday :hat2:

Original post by PQ
Dundee have published their vacancies too http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2766660 including courses open to Scottish students.

Super - thanks for the heads up :smile:
Some latest info on Herriot-Watt, the highest ranked Scottish uni going through Clearing for #SQA candidates:

Herriot-Watt will offer exactly 42 places from tomorrow into the following schools:

The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences: 10
The School of Build Environment: 10
The School of Management and Languages: 12
The School of Life Sciences: 10

Unlike in previous years, neither the School of Engineering and Physical Sciences nor the School of Textiles and Design will be offering places in Clearing this year.

Herriot-Watt say the best place to find Clearing places fast is simply going to the homepage of their website on results day where you'll be linked to their special Clearing page.
SAE Institute Glasgow would like to announce that we DO have a few last remaining places in Clearing!

We have 4 places on our BA/BSc Audio Production course
We also have 5 places remaining on our BA/BSc Digital Film Making

please call 03330 112 315 or visit our website and click on "clearing 2014" to find out more...
Our Scotland Clearing 2014 information article has been updated! http://bit.ly/1nRxy0v
Original post by Numberwang
We have just received some great info from the Scottish universities.

Queen Margaret, Edinburgh Napier and UWS will all be offering #Clearing2014 from Tuesday 5th August exclusively to Scottish students.

Check out this new article, and tell me what you think in this thread - if there happens to be anything unclear, or any improvements I could make to the content.

I'll be updating it if I catch wind of any more Scottish unis offering Clearing places. Currently there are a few that haven't decided either way.

Hope this is useful for you all and can help you prepare for next Tuesday :smile:

---
SAE Institute Glasgow has clearing places!

BA/BSc Audio Production course - 4 Places Available
BA/BSc Digital Film Making - 5 Places Available
Website

Just to add that the SAE Institute places at our Glasgow campus are exclusive to Scottish candidates between today and Thursday 14th August when they will be open to other UK students.

Our last few remaining clearing places at our London, Oxford and Liverpool campuses are also available to Scottish candidates from today although this is not exclusive access and so candidates will need to be quick. We have a total of 29 places left in total on our Music Business, Audio, Film, Animation, Games and Web courses - find out more on our website!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending