The Student Room Group

Dad BEAT adult son. Is it justified?

My friend's mom was criticizing him and making up a bunch of lies about him to make him seem like the bad guy in her life. He said something like "stop being such a bitch about things"

She called his dad, who came home and gave him a harsh *******ing, pushed him against a wall (which caused some furniture to break), choked him, threw him on the bed and left a small bruise on his neck.

He's 20 and it's his final year at uni, so he'll move out soon. He doesn't want to go to the cops otherwise his dad might refuse to pay for his education. His parents are like 50.

Was his dad's actions justified or should his parents have handled it differently??

Also what is your ethnicity??

:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Unfortunately as it is almost a requirement to go to uni and ruinous to move out, kids are now dependent on their parents into their early twenties (see also America). I have known of domestic abuse going on under these circumstances with the son/daughter putting up with it for this reason.
More opinions plz!

Original post by scrotgrot
Unfortunately as it is almost a requirement to go to uni and ruinous to move out, kids are now dependent on their parents into their early twenties (see also America). I have known of domestic abuse going on under these circumstances with the son/daughter putting up with it for this reason.

Yeah , I think we all know "that guy who lives at home in his early 20s". Is this the norm in America too?

Can he press charges on his dad and get money for his education too??
Reply 3
Lol your friend is being ridiculous. Is the bitch not his mum or is she his step mother? I'm confused. If it's his step mother then I'd say calling her a bitch to her face was dumb. If she was his biological mother then I would agree with his dad and probably beat him up too.
It wasn't nice to call her a bitch but then she doesn't sound like a field of roses either

Anyhoo he didn't deserve that, it was too far - a good talking to would have sufficed probably
Original post by Armin.
Lol your friend is being ridiculous. Is the bitch not his mum or is she his step mother? I'm confused. If it's his step mother then I'd say calling her a bitch to her face was dumb. If she was his biological mother then I would agree with his dad and probably beat him up too.

Isn't it against the law to do something like that though?
He should have beat his dad up?
Reply 7
Original post by SuperDuperNoob
Isn't it against the law to do something like that though?

Calling the cops on his own dad? That's the lowest of the low tbh.

I would never do that even if my dad gave me a black eye. I'd leave. However seeing as your "friend" :lol: needs your dad I'd play it cool and keep a low profile. One more year.
My friend's mom was criticizing him and making up a bunch of lies about him to make him seem like the bad guy in her life. He said something like "stop being such a bitch about things"

She called his dad, who came home and gave him a harsh *******ing, pushed him against a wall (which caused some furniture to break), choked him, threw him on the bed and left a small bruise on his neck.

He's 20 and it's his final year at uni, so he'll move out soon. He doesn't want to go to the cops otherwise his dad might refuse to pay for his education. His parents are like 50.

Was his dad's actions justified or should his parents have handled it differently??

Also what is your ethnicity??

:confused:

The mother does sound like a bitch.
If one of my parents did that and I answered back like your friend did, my other parent would confront them (not physically) not me. Your friend didn't deserve to be beaten and no parent should say such a thing to their child (unless they're an absolute waste of oxygen).
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Armin.

I would never do that even if my dad gave me a black eye. I'd leave. However seeing as your "friend" :lol: needs your dad I'd play it cool and keep a low profile. One more year.

lol I swear it isn't me. So you think it's okay to commit crimes like this one?
Reply 10
lol I swear it isn't me. So you think it's okay to commit crimes like this one?

I wouldn't call it a crime.I think parents have a right to beat up their kids even ones at uni. The choking was OTT but who knows your friend might be exaggerating.
Original post by Armin.
I wouldn't call it a crime.I think parents have a right to beat up their kids even ones at uni. The choking was OTT but who knows your friend might be exaggerating.

Isn't it classified as domestic violence? Under 16 is child abuse... I don't think anyone legally has a right to beat up anyone... Or maybe they do and I've got it all wrong :/
Reply 12
Isn't it classified as domestic violence? Under 16 is child abuse... I don't think anyone legally has a right to beat up anyone... Or maybe they do and I've got it all wrong :/

:lol:

it is abuse but most parents spank their toddlers is that abuse too? It's a grey area but if you went to the police as a under 16 with bruises/broken bones then you'd get taken away from your parents. Your friend is 20 however I'm sure he could press charges against his dad but that would ruin his education, no? Just tell your buddy to move on.
Original post by Armin.

it is abuse but most parents spank their toddlers is that abuse too? It's a grey area but if you went to the police as a under 16 with bruises/broken bones then you'd get taken away from your parents. Your friend is 20 however I'm sure he could press charges against his dad but that would ruin his education, no? Just tell your buddy to move on.
Agreed, I was just messing with you. Just another year!

btw I think that spanking little toddlers is just HORRIBLE
If i called my mum a b*tch then she would probably slap me.

But for his dad to choke him and handle him in a way that caused bruises is crossing the line, so would definitely say it's not justified
Original post by Armin.

Love how you made that thread about the person who used to bully you, and then you act like a bully yourself.
Reply 16
Original post by Jophesxi
Love how you made that thread about the person who used to bully you, and then you act like a bully yourself.

How am I acting like a bully?

:curious:
Original post by Armin.
How am I acting like a bully?

:curious:

Saying he deserved it. How can you condone physical violence when what he said hardly warranted it? That was absolutely the wrong way to deal with the situation and his dad should be ashamed.
Reply 18
Original post by Jophesxi
Saying he deserved it. How can you condone physical violence when what he said hardly warranted it? That was absolutely the wrong way to deal with the situation and his dad should be ashamed.

Parents are allowed to beat up their kids and I don't think it's a crime for a parent to smack their kid when they act out.

Calling your mother a bitch is despicable not to mention plain ungrateful. To top it off the OP says that his friend is using his dad to complete his education on their dime. Disgusting.

You're overeating petal.
Reply 19
DEFINITELY not right!!! :eek:

Why must the son have his education funded? If he pressed charges, and could then prove independence/emancipation from parents to student finance, he may be eligible for grants which would allow him to get by on his own :s-smilie:

I would strongly urge him to go to the cops!! :redface:

Original post by Armin.

If it leaves bruises, or you use objects, it's illegal!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending