The Student Room Group

(AMA) Attended single-sex school for 10 years

Ask away and I will try to answer:smile:
Reply 1
Original post by BadIdeas
Ask away and I will try to answer:smile:

What are the best and worst things about going to a single-sex school? :smile:
All girls or All boys?
I've been in a single sex school for 8 years.
How do you feel about it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Neuth
What are the best and worst things about going to a single-sex school? :smile:

Best - As it was a faith school the environment was very nice and you got a lot of like-minded individuals.
Also, I'm guessing it helped us to achieve better as every year we would be ranked as the best school in the borough.

And obviously hardly anyone would ever disagree with blatant sexist remarks so a lot of freedom there:tongue:

Worst - You feel like you're missing out on real life experience such as interaction in the real world. Hence quite a few leave after 5 years (although sometimes its because their natural desires can't hack the very limited interaction with women-although quite a few do regret not staying for a few extra years once they do leave that is)
Reply 5
Original post by LostGear
All girls or All boys?

Boys
Reply 6
Original post by nadzworldz

Posted from TSR Mobile

I enjoyed it and I'll know I'll miss it!
Reply 7
Best - As it was a faith school the environment was very nice and you got a lot of like-minded individuals.
Also, I'm guessing it helped us to achieve better as every year we would be ranked as the best school in the borough.

And obviously hardly anyone would ever disagree with blatant sexist remarks so a lot of freedom there:tongue:

Worst - You feel like you're missing out on real life experience such as interaction in the real world. Hence quite a few leave after 5 years (although sometimes its because their natural desires can't hack the very limited interaction with women-although quite a few do regret not staying for a few extra years once they do leave that is)

Interestinggg...

I'm sure it's a lovely atmosphere. Free of all the sexist stuff, like you say, plus it's probably more relaxed? :h:
Reply 8
Original post by Neuth
Interestinggg...

I'm sure it's a lovely atmosphere. Free of all the sexist stuff, like you say, plus it's probably more relaxed? :h:

Yep, very relaxed until exam season starts that is:redface:
Reply 9
Yep, very relaxed until exam season starts that is:redface:

I'm sure :giggle:
Much more competition.
Was it a posh school? Was there much bullying? Were many people gay (stereotype I know)?
Reply 11
Original post by Dr DaMan
Was it a posh school? Was there much bullying? Were many people gay (stereotype I know)?

Nah, it wasn't posh. Bullying not so much so, perhaps more in the beginning but then sort of died down coz the school would exclude them lol. They had strict policies.

Ahh, the stereotype question, people would ask me if I was one coz I sort of stayed in single sex education longer than average coz I started from primary all the way till end of sixth form. But no, I wasn't and neither do I think single sex education increases homosexual urges if there are any. (If anything it probably makes you more heterosexual). But yh there was one guy who sort of was or rather sort of made out that he was lol.
Reply 12
Original post by nadzworldz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you prefer it?
Do you prefer it?
Not really I am definatley missing out on the real world like you had mentioned, I mean I would like to have male and female friends and the school/6th form that I go to (well have now finished. I mean I don't get distracted by the opposite sex(which i had attended a girls school) and are you applying to uni??. I do prefer it but then sometimes I don't.:smile:
I enjoyed it and I'll know I'll miss it!
Yep me too but we have to all move on and take opportunities and meet new people. (Even though it may feel awkward or may take time getting used to as I will probably feel like that):smile:

Quick Reply

Latest