The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yup, its not even common law in most of the world!! Civil law jurisdictions *spits*.
Reply 21
Ethereal
With an English law degree? What would be the point? It's a completely different system over there.

True but surely it would be a good thing to have also done french (and possibly arabic now) at university? places like EU
Reply 22
Is there any point us continuing this discussion? I've given my opinion and you keep saying "yes, but ....." Clearly you have already made your choice and this debate is somewhat superficial.
arabic .... no way .... if ur gonna do a language either mandarin or cantonese are probably the way to go, but they are bastarding hard.
Reply 24
Ethereal
Is there any point us continuing this discussion? I've given my opinion and you keep saying "yes, but ....." Clearly you have already made your choice and this debate is somewhat superficial.

Sorry I missed your previous post. Thanks for your advice ie language degree not good. What degrees do you think would be helpful?
Reply 25
Lewis-HuStuJCR
arabic .... no way .... if ur gonna do a language either mandarin or cantonese are probably the way to go, but they are bastarding hard.

The reason I think arabic is good is that there are not many arabic speakers in the country but there are alot of arab speaking countries and with the current events it will be good to know the language.
I've gathered Sheffield Hallam probably doesn't have a "good reputation", however, I noticed in the preospectus that they offer;

"LLB (honours) Maitrise en Droit Francais"

4 year course - 1 & 3 @ Hallam, 2 & 4 @ University of Paris XII.

Might be of interest to someone with a leaning towards law and languages and French in particular??
Reply 27
AK48
The reason I think arabic is good is that there are not many arabic speakers in the country but there are alot of arab speaking countries and with the current events it will be good to know the language.

Only if you plan to work for MI5. Solicitors/Barristers don't really need to know arabic tbh.
Cabridge Dbl Maitrise in France ... probably one of the most competitive degrees in england though!!

Also, most unis offer Law with French, dont really know how good that is for french though.
Reply 29
I'd say do the languages degree first, then do the conversion course. The entrance requirements may be lower, so you might get into a better uni (if that matters to you). Most employers will look at the class of degree you get, and (to an extent) where its from before they look at the content. There are people who have done Scandanavian Studies who work at big city firms now. And languages are VERY useful, I don't know where this idea comes from that they're a waste of time.

Rather do the languages degree first and then the conversion.
Reply 30
Fireman John
I've gathered Sheffield Hallam probably doesn't have a "good reputation", however, I noticed in the preospectus that they offer;

"LLB (honours) Maitrise en Droit Francais"

4 year course - 1 & 3 @ Hallam, 2 & 4 @ University of Paris XII.

Might be of interest to someone with a leaning towards law and languages and French in particular??

Yes, OP maybe you should look into a degree like that?
Reply 31
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Personally I rate the northumbria course as good as most in the country ... I would put it on a par with Liverpool. For clearing that is a really really good course which many underrate purely because it is at Northumbria which is not a great uni all round.

I rate Northumbria highly also, I never said otherwise, I described it as being decent.
Reply 32
Ah but on the other hand, doing a language degree is, in my opinion, one of the most boring things you can do at uni. The endless grammar, the pointlessness of trying to learn slang from a textbook, the dullness of modules like French Economy and Society, which patronise you in the 1st year by teaching GCSE level business studies material in a French context...

Doing a Law with French degree I found that the Law modules are a lot more interesting and challenging. In French, I mostly found myself sitting in my room mindlessly memorizing verbs where as reading Law cases I had to actually think about what I was learning.

Also doing a joint degree like that is very distracting because it's hard to concentrate on one type of course, going from grammar to Contract Law is very hard. You end up underperforming in both areas when you could have done much better by concentrating on one. This is why I've decided to switch to the straight LLB course this year.
Reply 33
AK48
Yes but the grades = ACCb = not good. The best I can do is hope Kent or Essex who want ABB/ABC take me

I think Kent is a wonderful Law school... Not to mention Canterbury is dead pwetty :smile:

They have a really nice degree programme involving a Law "clinic" which allows Undergraduates to gain practical experiences... It really appealed to me. They may not be at the top of the game reputation-wise, but graduates aren't doing badly... http://www.kent.ac.uk/law/undergraduate/jobs/careers.htm

If you could I'd encourage you to really look into that option...

Jo.
helloo, interested to hear what you think of this, i got AAC, C in German haha and so am now in clearing for art history at notts. was thinking of teachin myself german in my spare time and then retaking it to get a better grade, and maybe law conversion course to go into art law, rights to imagery, heritage evaluation etc. was wondering if any employers would actually take me seriously tho, if i have a degree in 'art history' it doesn't exactly sound the greatest lol, and also my other A levels are philosophy and ethics, and graphic art! which, according to some employers and uni's are 'soft' (referrin to the reports in the papers at the mo)
Reply 35
Marcods
I'd say do the languages degree first, then do the conversion course. The entrance requirements may be lower, so you might get into a better uni (if that matters to you). Most employers will look at the class of degree you get, and (to an extent) where its from before they look at the content. There are people who have done Scandanavian Studies who work at big city firms now. And languages are VERY useful, I don't know where this idea comes from that they're a waste of time.

Rather do the languages degree first and then the conversion.

Excellent, one of my favourite topics!!

In mentoring and interviewing undergrads, I have often come across the view that a language degree or ability somehow makes you massively more employable.

A skill in a language demonstrates some degree of academic ability but the skill itself is not necessarily of any particular use to an employer.

To think otherwise, ignores the reality of the legal system and practice.

It is naive to think that you're going to be busy negotiating contracts with a law firm in Paris because you've done French at uni. The reality is that the client will instruct French lawyers whether that be a French firm or the French office of your own UK firm. Likewise, you're not going to be in a postion to advise on French documents as you're not qualified in the law of that jurisdiction. If its simply a matter of translating documents so your firm can understand them, well that can be done far cheaper than by using the services of a junior lawyer.

I'm not saying that a language degree isn't well regarded. It is, but in exactly the same way as a history or English degree is regarded. Just don't expect your language ability to be some amazing selling point above and beyond the fact that you've achieved a good grade in a good subject.

Oh, and I'd love to know which City firms have taken on students with degrees in Scandinavian Studies.
Reply 36
Your choice of Uni and course is a big balancing exercise. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to weighing up the merits of choice of course vs choice of particular institution.

The reality is that employers often use a pretty draconian system when culling applications which may mean that undergrads from certain Unis simply aren't considered. By the same token, certain institutions are highly regarded and that may stand you in good stead come application time.

However, the way in which an institution is regarded by potential employers should only be one criteria (albeit a very important one). Your choice of course is extremely important also. If you are dead set on studying law rather than a different discipline then go for it. I should point out, however, that studying law rather than a different subject won't actually make a huge difference when it comes to actually being a lawyer. If you're not massively committed to studying law, then you might well be better off getting yourself in to a more highly ranked Uni and studying something else.

Finally, you need to give some serious consideration to the other aspects of going to Uni - which place is going to give you the most enjoyable three years of your life from a social point of view? Its a bit pointless going to a highly regarded Uni because its "the right thing to do" if you're miserable when you're there.
Reply 37
chalks
Excellent, one of my favourite topics!!

In mentoring and interviewing undergrads, I have often come across the view that a language degree or ability somehow makes you massively more employable.

A skill in a language demonstrates some degree of academic ability but the skill itself is not necessarily of any particular use to an employer.

To think otherwise, ignores the reality of the legal system and practice.

It is naive to think that you're going to be busy negotiating contracts with a law firm in Paris because you've done French at uni. The reality is that the client will instruct French lawyers whether that be a French firm or the French office of your own UK firm. Likewise, you're not going to be in a postion to advise on French documents as you're not qualified in the law of that jurisdiction. If its simply a matter of translating documents so your firm can understand them, well that can be done far cheaper than by using the services of a junior lawyer.

I'm not saying that a language degree isn't well regarded. It is, but in exactly the same way as a history or English degree is regarded. Just don't expect your language ability to be some amazing selling point above and beyond the fact that you've achieved a good grade in a good subject.

Oh, and I'd love to know which City firms have taken on students with degrees in Scandinavian Studies.

I'm not saying that a language degree is a guaranteed ticket to a high-flying career with a Magic Circle firm, but being able to speak a foreign language is a skill that may give an applicant the edge over another similar candidate. Degree classification, EC's and all the rest are still number one, but a language is definitely a bonus, especially if you hope to work in an international firm. It certainly helps if you can communicate with people on the continent, even if you can't practice there.

A quick browse through the FAQ's of some City firms will show that they do value languages - some even offer language tuition on the side.

I was suggesting that if the OP can get into a better uni on a language degree, and get a decent classification at the end of it, then its better to go the GDL route - the language degree certainly wont be a waste!

As for the Scandanavian Studies comment, I was just using that as an example for some of the arbitrary degrees that some lawyers have (music and theology being two examples I saw at Slaughter & May).

Admittedly, Scandanavian Studies would probably just be a waste of three years... :rolleyes:
Reply 38
chalks
Your choice of Uni and course is a big balancing exercise. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to weighing up the merits of choice of course vs choice of particular institution.

The reality is that employers often use a pretty draconian system when culling applications which may mean that undergrads from certain Unis simply aren't considered. By the same token, certain institutions are highly regarded and that may stand you in good stead come application time.

However, the way in which an institution is regarded by potential employers should only be one criteria (albeit a very important one). Your choice of course is extremely important also. If you are dead set on studying law rather than a different discipline then go for it. I should point out, however, that studying law rather than a different subject won't actually make a huge difference when it comes to actually being a lawyer. If you're not massively committed to studying law, then you might well be better off getting yourself in to a more highly ranked Uni and studying something else.

Finally, you need to give some serious consideration to the other aspects of going to Uni - which place is going to give you the most enjoyable three years of your life from a social point of view? Its a bit pointless going to a highly regarded Uni because its "the right thing to do" if you're miserable when you're there.
Thanks for the advice. I'm finding it hard to choose because on one hand, I would really enjoy studying English Language, and could get into a top uni for it, but on the other hand the law conversion is expensive, and I might not get a place. I would like to study law, but have heard that it is very hard and get slightly put off by that.

For English Language/ Linguistics, my application would be to:
UCL, KCL, SOAS, Reading and Kent

For Law it would be:
Kent (x3 in law joint courses), Reading and City

I've heard that these law schools will still enable me to persue a career as a solicitor, and I may get an offer from a Law school (if I am predicted ABB).

Surely the Law degree is better even though it will be less enjoyable as I wouldn't need to spend lots of money on the conversion course and once I am in the Law school I won't need to think about the competition of getting onto a conversion course later?

Out of interest, if you were presented with the following options, which would you take?
Reply 39
A number of points here:

the law conversion is expensive, and I might not get a place.

Yes, it can be expensive although there is a chance you would get sponsored by an employer. My understanding is that you shouldn't have a problem getting a place - its not like trying to get a place at Uni for example.

I would like to study law, but have heard that it is very hard and get slightly put off by that

Law is a difficult subject and a competitive and demanding profession. In all honesty, if you're worried by the demands of the degree then maybe the profession itself isn't for you?

My gut feeling? Go for the English language course at UCL or KCL and do your best to excel. Fill your time with extra curriculars and blitz the application procedure.

Latest

Trending

Trending