The Student Room Group

Have you felt obliged to share food you cooked with others?

Have you ever shared the food you made for yourself, with others?
Was it because you wanted to, they asked, or you felt pressure ?

I really would like to make my own food but don't wanna share with others especially if it isfor me only or if they might not like how it taste and i do not want to hear their criticism

------------
Do people mind the smell of food you cook in halls/ private halls?

What if you want to make a meal. Some curry or pasta needs onions to be fried and that smells horrible and i will be making tasty food for my self but would like to know

has anyone had any issues with this?
Do people just not do it ?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Onions smell delicious! It's a kitchen, food smells are kinda generally accepted
Reply 2
Well my flat mates will hate me, I love cooking with garlic, onion and vinegar. :colondollar:
No one cares, as long as you tidy up.
Reply 4
Are you lot sure noone cares, I doubt anyone likes the smell of spices. I don't, and i hate the smell of some foods [not that i would complain about it but i would dread it]
So there must be people out there who wouldnt want to share a communal kitchen with someone that cooks spicy or any sort of food ?
Original post by Alumna
Bump-I changed question

People don't expect you to share food you've made, at least in my experience.
Reply 6
Original post by PythianLegume
People don't expect you to share food you've made, at least in my experience.

I ask because i can imagine my self cooking actual meals/supper like mentioned in description. I would like to cook loads at a time whether it be curry/pasta and because i would be making so much then freezing it,

:colondollar:I dont want people to think i am greedy for not sharing.
Original post by Alumna
Have you ever shared the food you made for yourself, with others?
Was it because you wanted to, they asked, or you felt pressure ?

I really would like to make my own food but don't wanna share with others especially if it isfor me only or if they might not like how it taste and i do not want to hear their criticism

------------
Do people mind what kind of food you cook in halls/ private halls?

What if you want to make a meal. Some curry or pasta needs onions to be fried and that smells horrible and i will be making tasty food for my self but would like to know

has anyone had any issues with this?
Do people just not do it ?

I haven't really seen any of that happen. And I doubt anyone would want to eat any of the 'food' I 'cook' :tongue:.

And cook whatever you want, people probably won't mind.

There were people in my kitchen that cooked loads at once (actual proper cooking involving chopping boards and everything!) and then kept it in the fridge. It was never expected or even considered that they share it with other people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
I'll be mostly eating chicken with veg and rice, so not exactly the most thrilling meal for anyone
Reply 9
Original post by brittanna

I haven't really seen any of that happen. And I doubt anyone would want to eat any of the 'food' I 'cook' :tongue:.

And cook whatever you want, people probably won't mind.

smell wise lol..
Original post by Alumna
smell wise lol..

Yeah, I know. That's what I meant :tongue:.
Reply 11
Original post by brittanna
Yeah, I know. That's what I meant :tongue:.

Ok, :rolleyes:
Oh hellll no.

Original post by Alumna
I ask because i can imagine my self cooking actual meals/supper like mentioned in description. I would like to cook loads at a time whether it be curry/pasta and because i would be making so much then freezing it,

:colondollar:I dont want people to think i am greedy for not sharing.

FYI, you may not have a freezer in halls. But people won't think you're greedy - it's your food.
Naahhh, I've shared if I made more than I planned, but if I cook spag bol/chilli/curry etc I always make 4/5 portions and freeze 2.
As for cooking smells, people might complain but let them. The kitchen is for cooking and if you're actually bothering to do it properly, it doesn't matter what smells you make. Just be aware of anyone with allergies or whatever - people who leave peanut butter jars open for the smell to invade the room annoy me so much (if I've actually told them before that I'm allergic)!
My housemates often share their food with me. I had lychees once one of them bought, after hanging out a lot...but I don't feel obliged to share the food I've cooked no because cooking, although fun to me, is tonnes of work, yeah? Also, frying onions on a saucepan with pasta don't smell...do you not put tomato sauce on your pasta or something? :lolwut:
Dw,nobody will expect you to share your cooking with them. In my experience the only time people might get annoyed is if you hog the kitchen to a point where nobody else can use it or don't clean up afterwards. My advice would be to not do bulk cooking between 6 and 8 when everyone else wants to get in.
Reply 17
Original post by Fashion Girl
My housemates often share their food with me. I had lychees once one of them bought, after hanging out a lot...but I don't feel obliged to share the food I've cooked no because cooking, although fun to me, is tonnes of work, yeah? Also, frying onions on a saucepan with pasta don't smell...do you not put tomato sauce on your pasta or something? :lolwut:

You probably have not understood what i wrote. But frying onions does smell, it smells of onions...
It is not a nice smell like perfume.
I hate the smell of onions
Original post by Alumna
You probably have not understood what i wrote. But frying onions does smell, it smells of onions...
It is not a nice smell like perfume.
I hate the smell of onions

Ohhhhhhhh so you probably shouldn't fry onions to begin with! :smile:
Cook what you want. Kitchens ALWAYS smell (in student halls anyway!).

I'd only be really reluctant if you were cooking smelly fish, but even then... if that's what you're cooking you gotta do it!

I made lots of portions for myself and never shared. It's economic and cheaper for you, don't worry. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending