The Student Room Group

Engagement rings.

This might seem like an odd question, maybe it seems obvious to some people but I am unsure what the general consensus is.

So, women and men have engagement rings right??? Or is that just wedding rings? (Or are they really just the same thing lol)

Anyway...

Say the man is the one who proposes and has bought a ring for his special girl.

What do you do about the man's ring?
I mean when are you supposed to get one for the man?
Do you just go out and get one yourself as the man?
Does the girl go out and buy one after the proposal at some point?
Perhaps afterwards you both go out and buy one for the guy?
Do you buy both rings at the same time before the proposal? (that seems a bit silly though)
:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've never known a guy to wear an engagement ring...I knew of one that wore an engagement watch, but that was because his fiancee was the one to propose and she did it with a watch instead of a ring.
Reply 2
Original post by syrettd
I've never known a guy to wear an engagement ring...I knew of one that wore an engagement watch, but that was because his fiancee was the one to propose and she did it with a watch instead of a ring.

Ok well then a wedding ring instead, it doesn't matter.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

People just buy their wedding rings at some point before their wedding day, but after the proposal. I guess they do it together, unless one of them is a control freak when it comes to the wedding and wants to make all the decisions.
Reply 4
Original post by syrettd
People just buy their wedding rings at some point before their wedding day, but after the proposal. I guess they do it together, unless one of them is a control freak when it comes to the wedding and wants to make all the decisions.

Oh right really? lol

It is just something I have never really thought about or ever talked baout before.

So really just whoever was proposed to wears the engagement and then when you are married you get two weddings rings to properly tie the knot.
To be honest it varies from man to man. My step dad has an engagement ring but my god-father didn't when he married my god-mother. It depends on whether the man wants one, I mostly see just women with an engagement ring though. :smile: Also no, both don't usually buy the two rings before hand, it's usually one ring is brought for the proposal as sometimes it's a surprise.
Reply 6
Original post by Wonderer1
To be honest it varies from man to man. My step dad has an engagement ring but my god-father didn't when he married my god-mother. It depends on whether the man wants one, I mostly see just women with an engagement ring though. :smile: Also no, both don't usually buy the two rings before hand, it's usually one ring is brought for the proposal as sometimes it's a surprise.

Ok cool.

I think I would like a ring actually, I am a guy btw.

There is just something really cute about it I think and it is such a lovely thing.
Reply 7
Oh right really? lol

It is just something I have never really thought about or ever talked baout before.

So really just whoever was proposed to wears the engagement and then when you are married you get two weddings rings to properly tie the knot.

Normally in the UK it's the woman who wears an engagement ring, regardless of who proposes. Sometimes she will go and buy her own engagement ring and propose to the guy with it.

Later on when they're going to get married, they buy wedding rings. A woman usually wears her wedding ring along with her engagement ring on her left hand ring finger when married in the UK.

I live in Denmark, where there's not such a tradition for engagement rings. If people wear rings when engaged, they usually just have plain wedding bands on the left hand ring finger, both the man and the woman, and when they get married it gets transferred onto the right hand ring finger (which is a common wedding ring finger placement outside of the UK).
Reply 8
Oh right really? lol

Well traditionally the girl always wears the engagement ring (if the couple even bother with one), no matter who proposes. I think my friend's fiancee mainly bought the watch as some sort of gesture. Like when some guys propose with a really cheap temporary ring (sometimes Haribo rings :tongue:) but then later the couple may choose one together.

Men wearing wedding rings is actually kind of a new thing, within the last several decades. And really posh people upper class people still think men shouldn't wear any jewellery at all. Who knows- maybe in a few more years men will wear engagement rings too?
Ok cool.

There is just something really cute about it I think and it is such a lovely thing.

Personally, I would find it cute and really like it if my future fiancé wanted to wear an engagement ring and everyone would then know he was definitely taken. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
Normally in the UK it's the woman who wears an engagement ring, regardless of who proposes. Sometimes she will go and buy her own engagement ring and propose to the guy with it.

Later on when they're going to get married, they buy wedding rings. A woman usually wears her wedding ring along with her engagement ring on her left hand ring finger when married in the UK.

I live in Denmark, where there's not such a tradition for engagement rings. If people wear rings when engaged, they usually just have plain wedding bands on the left hand ring finger, both the man and the woman, and when they get married it gets transferred onto the right hand ring finger (which is a common wedding ring finger placement outside of the UK).

They wear both the engagement and also the wedding ring? Interesting.... I never knew that.
Reply 11
They wear both the engagement and also the wedding ring? Interesting.... I never knew that.

Yep, you can even get sets where the engagement ring and wedding ring form part of a matching whole, and complement each other when worn together.
Engagement rings are just that...symbolising engagement. :biggrin:
Personally, I would find it cute and really like it if my future fiancé wanted to wear an engagement ring and everyone would then know he was definitely taken. :tongue:

Haha :P Yeah true, I would feel the same way in that respect for my future girl if I ever got lucky enough.
Original post by Ronove
Yep, you can even get sets where the engagement ring and wedding ring form part of a matching whole, and complement each other when worn together.

Nice that is really cool.

Male engagement rings are not common at all.

For wedding rings, a couple choose it together normally.Some however pick it separately and only sees what the other bought during the wedding.

My husband have an engagement ring but that was more to do with the situation than a statement. We picked my engagement ring and wedding rings together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ronove
the right hand ring finger (which is a common wedding ring finger placement outside of the UK).

Oh...this explains why one of the guys I work with asked if I was married or engaged because of my cubic zircona ring on that finger :redface:
Reply 17
Original post by syrettd
Oh...this explains why one of the guys I work with asked if I was married or engaged because of my cubic zircona ring on that finger :redface:

Perhaps. :tongue:

I still haven't decided what on earth I'm going to do about ring placement. We went for a blended approach - I wanted an engagement ring with stones because I'm British, but we both really liked the idea of him wearing an engagement ring because he's Danish.

We bought matching (ish) yellow gold bands for the wedding rings, he wears his, and I have a white gold twisted/braid-effect band with six diamonds on the top. Both on the left hand. Not sure how well the white and yellow gold will sit together, might end up with the yellow gold on the right and have his move to his right hand, and keep my engagement ring on my left.

So unnecessarily complicated. I just fell in love with the white gold ring after we'd decided we wanted yellow gold wedding bands though. That's life!

Attachment not found

There's my engagement ring. :tongue:
Original post by Ronove
Perhaps. :tongue:

I still haven't decided what on earth I'm going to do about ring placement. We went for a blended approach - I wanted an engagement ring with stones because I'm British, but we both really liked the idea of him wearing an engagement ring because he's Danish.

We bought matching (ish) yellow gold bands for the wedding rings, he wears his, and I have a white gold twisted/braid-effect band with six diamonds on the top. Both on the left hand. Not sure how well the white and yellow gold will sit together, might end up with the yellow gold on the right and have his move to his right hand, and keep my engagement ring on my left.

So unnecessarily complicated. I just fell in love with the white gold ring after we'd decided we wanted yellow gold wedding bands though. That's life!

There's my engagement ring. :tongue:

I'm a guy and personally I would like a gold ring rather than any other type of engagement/wedding jewelry or accessory.
Ok cool.

Engagemeant rings on men aren't traditional but are a new and rising trend, so if you'd like one that's fine! Is say you should propose (and buy her a ring to propose with), then mention that you'd like one too to symbolise your commitment and she'll either get you one or you'll go together.
I actually thought about this before, if my boyfriend proposed (someday) I think I'd surprise him with a ring soon after.

Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending