The Student Room Group

Best centre back and fullback in the world?

So who do you think is currently the best CB and LB or RB. But only one LB or RB!

Mine, Hummels for CB and probably still Lahm for my fullback :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Phil jones for both
Vidic and Shaw
Jordi Alba & Thiago Silva.

Sergio Ramos & Alaba also deserve a mention though.
There are no great CB's in world football that are at their peak. I'd say Thiago Silva is the best of the lot.

If Lahm is a full-back, then him. Otherwise, there are no great FB's either. I'd say Filipe Luis is the best in the world at the moment.
Reply 5
Original post by Manchester United
There are no great CB's in world football that are at their peak. I'd say Thiago Silva is the best of the lot.

If Lahm is a full-back, then him. Otherwise, there are no great FB's either. I'd say Filipe Luis is the best in the world at the moment.

Lahm is an odd one, traditional RB but been in CM of course.
Reply 6
For those who have been saying people like Shaw, Vidic and any other ridiculous answers... wow hahaha
Reply 7
I'd go with thiago silva Cb and Alaba as the fullback (classing Lahm as a midfielder)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kompany best all round CB.
Lahm best fullback.
Lahm and T.Silva, no doubts whatsoever.
Lahm is by far the best fullback, he is the complete professional who has captained his club and country to massive success, consistently been one of the best fullbacks in world football and is adaptable to play wherever the manager wants him to. He has been a fantastic fullback for years and has recently adapted into a midfield role at times (although that doesn't answer the question.) He rarely makes mistakes and he is a genuine threat going forwards as well a solid defender.
T.Silva is also great leader for club and country who has not quite had the same success although that is not really relevant as I assume the question is about the individual players. He has also been very consistent for years now, he has led Brazil and somehow managed to control David Luiz for years. He has played alongside a variety of centre back partners and has made all of them look good by how controlled and measured he is. He is often covering up for mistakes made by teammates and he was fantastic for Brazil in the world cup despite 2 of the most attacking fullbacks in the tournament and a partner who loves bombing forwards. The semi final game was the perfect display of just how good the Brazil defence is without their leader and organiser.
Agree with an above poster no outstanding CBs today. Thiago Silva is very good, but nowhere near the likes of Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Cannavaro, Nesta in their primes etc.. those are top CBs - so I'd say T.Silva.

Fullbacks - would have to be Lahm, no one else comes close atm. Dani Alves, Cole, Evra & co were beastly in their prime.

NB: Kompany is the most overrated CB in world football. Yes he's good (he's way more important to ManCity than he should be, maybe something mental with the other City players with him being Capt & all, just can't cope?...) but there's no way he comes close to Terry, Vida & Rio
Zabaleta is criminally under-rated when it comes to these discussions.
Reply 12
Original post by little_tom

I agree, but he's no Marcelo or Lahm is he? But I'd say he's the BPL's best RB
Original post by GreenOut
Agree with an above poster no outstanding CBs today. Thiago Silva is very good, but nowhere near the likes of Terry, Vidic, Ferdinand, Cannavaro, Nesta in their primes etc.. those are top CBs - so I'd say T.Silva.

Fullbacks - would have to be Lahm, no one else comes close atm. Dani Alves, Cole, Evra & co were beastly in their prime.

NB: Kompany is the most overrated CB in world football. Yes he's good (he's way more important to ManCity than he should be, maybe something mental with the other City players with him being Capt & all, just can't cope?...) but there's no way he comes close to Terry, Vida & Rio

Terry and ferdie shouldn't be there

lol v funny
Reply 14
Original post by GreenOut

I'd say Maldini is better than Ferdinand and Vidic, even in their prime.

I don't think Kompany is the most over-rated. I'd definitely say David Luiz is the most over-rated.
At their primes; Vidic, Rio and King.
Original post by xmertic
I agree, but he's no Marcelo or Lahm is he? But I'd say he's the BPL's best RB

Right backs:

Lahm
Zabaleta
the rest

... and Marcelo is terrible.
Reply 17
Right backs:

Lahm
Zabaleta
the rest

... and Marcelo is terrible.

No, he isn't. Madrid wouldn't have him first team if he was terrible. Nor would Brazil pick him as first choice, especially when they have Luis
Original post by xmertic
No, he isn't. Madrid wouldn't have him first team if he was terrible. Nor would Brazil pick him as first choice, especially when they have Luis

Or maybe Scolari was just a ****ing idiot?

He's the best RB in the Premier League but he's no Lahm is he.

Quick Reply

Latest