The Student Room Group

Do i have a chance getting into Dental School?

It has been my interest in studying Dentistry since i was a kid, and i am very determined to work as hard as i can to get there. Although my GCSE grades weren't as good as i thought, i have tried to do as much non academic things as i can as well
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by matthewames97
Re: Do i have a chance getting into Dental School?

Let's put things in perspective. Just don't apply to Birmingham and you will be fine.

My GCSE grades weren't great either, and now here I am, year 2 dental student.

Good luck.
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Let's put things in perspective. Just don't apply to Birmingham and you will be fine.

My GCSE grades weren't great either, and now here I am, year 2 dental student.

Good luck.

Would you have any suggestions for which unis i should apply too? Definitely Newcastle is my first choice
Would you have any suggestions for which unis i should apply too? Definitely Newcastle is my first choice

Peninsula Dental School. (Plymouth university)
Kings College London
Queen Mary University of London.

I applied to all of those with a weak application and managed to get at least interviews at all of them, and an offer at Plymouth.
Peninsula Dental School. (Plymouth university)
Kings College London
Queen Mary University of London.

I applied to all of those with a weak application and managed to get at least interviews at all of them, and an offer at Plymouth.

Ah right great thank you, do you think there is anything else i could possibly do to help my application? although all of this i have done how would i be able to show the universities that i have done this?
Ah right great thank you, do you think there is anything else i could possibly do to help my application? although all of this i have done how would i be able to show the universities that i have done this?

I honestly didn't do much at all. My application was pretty much this:

Personal statement
GCSE Grades
Alevel Grades
2weeks work exp at GDP
1 week Orthodontic
2 days lab.
630 ukcat

You get the chance to tell the uni what u have done in your personal statement and interview.
I honestly didn't do much at all. My application was pretty much this:

Personal statement
GCSE Grades
Alevel Grades
2weeks work exp at GDP
1 week Orthodontic
2 days lab.
630 ukcat

You get the chance to tell the uni what u have done in your personal statement and interview.

Oh right really, I'm just hoping i can get onto the partners scheme at newcastle as i really want to go there
Oh right really, I'm just hoping i can get onto the partners scheme at newcastle as i really want to go there

I think the most important thing about getting in to dentistry is your interview, and how you answer the questions there.

Honestly.
A* chem
A* bio
A Maths
A Physics
A Media
A English language
A I.T
B Graphic design
B Statistics
B English literature
Reply 9

As long as you have met the minimum GCSE requirements, you will be fine for Newcastle.
They don't take GCSE grades into account when the shortlisting for interviews. They only look at UKCAT and ur PS.
AS - A Maths A Chem B Bio B Physics
A2 - A* Math A Chem A Bio.

Quick Reply

Latest