The Student Room Group

How easy is it to get 70% in the first year of a pharmaceutical science degree ?

I originally applied for Pharmacy and highly doubt I got the grades and I'm quite sure I'll end up in pharmaceutical science via clearing.

In the end I would like to transfer to pharmacy, I would like to know how hard is the pharmaceutical science degree and how likely is it to achieve 70 %
I just wrote this in another thread. In short no, if you study hard and don't get carried away with the whole uni lifestyle.

Well at A level I got BBC and did Pharmaceutical Chemistry I got my results and got 67%. Then decided to transfer into Pharmacy. The minimum requirement to be even looked at was 65% with a minimum of 80% attendance. (Internal transfer) I can say a good 60% was based in A level stuff so my modules where on [ Maths first module was basic basic maths perhaps GCSE then it jumped to C4 like straight to integration by parts and differentiation. So if your good at maths this is a plus. For Labs for me it was hell! Like your expected to know how to use NMR equipment and all the boring pages of the text book which are just images of equipment which I usually skipped ( I regret now). The biochemistry module I had was actually quiet challenging for me, it was usually very detailed in perhaps DNA and the nervous system etc if you did A level Bio you should be fine. The other Chemistry based modules are fine it's usually a level and one step further. If you understood the concepts at a level you'll be fine. My pharmacology lecture was really interesting but the exams were really challenging in terms or remembering things which at a level you would brush over you find are of huge significance (huge mistake)]

Over all I think you should go and do Pharmaceuticals etc but make sure you check re entry requirements to transfer. Only do this is you know you fully understood the chemistry aspects and biology of course at a level and just flopped your exams.

It's a really good experience and you can use this 'first year' to have fun and get the freshers excitement out of the way so when you do start Pharmacy you'll be more focused

I also decided to leave to do PCS because I wanted to get out of the house. But only again do this if you're sure Pharmacy is what you want to do compared to doing a levels you'll still have your options open. But I think doing PCS is a good option especially with all the talk on changing the way exams are written and when they are taken.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending