The Student Room Group

I'm an Economics Ph.D student and work for EA Sports, AMA!

Those two things are about the most interesting things about me, so fire away. :sexface:

Although I now see I am at 7,000 posts. That's my new number 1.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Could you use your education in your current job? i mean, It's weird that you are working in a software company with your degree...
I remember you :bigsmile:

So what do you actually do now?
Original post by castelo
Could you use your education in your current job? i mean, It's weird that you are working in a software company with your degree...

It's not full-time - I have a lot of spare time doing a Ph.D!

I am involved in the ratings and statistics used in the databases, rather than the actual software side of it.

Plan is obviously to do something that follows on from the Ph.D (lecturing, etc.) but can't do anything like that full-time until I'm done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Potally_Tissed
I remember you :bigsmile:

So what do you actually do now?

Almost finished the Ph.D, looking to hand it in in September/October time. Got a few ideas for when I finish - either lecturer, Research Assistant or government work. Just need to make my mind up...

What about you? Must be about finishing now?
Reply 5
Can you give me a Thomas Muller man of the match, Heskey inform in Fifa ultimate team?
Original post by AngelPhys
Can you give me a Thomas Muller man of the match, Heskey inform in Fifa ultimate team?

I could if I wanted.
Original post by little_wizard123
Almost finished the Ph.D, looking to hand it in in September/October time. Got a few ideas for when I finish - either lecturer, Research Assistant or government work. Just need to make my mind up...

What about you? Must be about finishing now?

Not bad :holmes:

Finished last year. Been in my job for a little over a year now.
Reply 8
It's not full-time - I have a lot of spare time doing a Ph.D!

I am involved in the ratings and statistics used in the databases, rather than the actual software side of it.

Plan is obviously to do something that follows on from the Ph.D (lecturing, etc.) but can't do anything like that full-time until I'm done.

Another question: is it worth to do a PhD for the private sector? I mean, in my country almost everyone that is studying a PhD works for the public sector (University or Government) once is finished.
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Not bad :holmes:

Finished last year. Been in my job for a little over a year now.

Yeah, it's good when everybody who left before you and did worse in their degree is off getting rich whilst I'm fiddling about marking exam papers...

Awesome. Times flies when you're doing a Ph.D...
Original post by castelo
Another question: is it worth to do a PhD for the private sector? I mean, in my country almost everyone that is studying a PhD works for the public sector (University or Government) once is finished.

Most people doing PhDs in economics that I know of go off working for banks, governments or academia in their home country or in the UK. However, there are a lot of PhD-required roles in banks and in the private sector in general.

Plus there are some people that are just doing it for the achievement and love of the subject - a much higher percentage than those who do undergrad or masters level degrees, where that's solely for the job prospects. You'd have to really want to do a PhD to get through it - doing it just for the job prospects makes it harder to achieve.
Reply 11
Most people doing PhDs in economics that I know of go off working for banks, governments or academia in their home country or in the UK. However, there are a lot of PhD-required roles in banks and in the private sector in general.

Plus there are some people that are just doing it for the achievement and love of the subject - a much higher percentage than those who do undergrad or masters level degrees, where that's solely for the job prospects. You'd have to really want to do a PhD to get through it - doing it just for the job prospects makes it harder to achieve.

OK, I understand. At least in my sector (Mechanical Engineering) I dont know about work offers that ask for a PhD.

If I may ask, which subject your PhD is dealing about?
Original post by castelo
OK, I understand. At least in my sector (Mechanical Engineering) I dont know about work offers that ask for a PhD.

If I may ask, which subject your PhD is dealing about?

An engineering PhD seems even more specific than an economics one.

Basically, it's looking at the relationship between utility and income in non-linear panel models. Essentially it's applied microeconometrics.
Reply 13
An engineering PhD seems even more specific than an economics one.

Basically, it's looking at the relationship between utility and income in non-linear panel models. Essentially it's applied microeconometrics.

So, in the end you could work in Government (HM Treasury or Bank of England) or in the City, is that correct?
Original post by castelo
So, in the end you could work in Government (HM Treasury or Bank of England) or in the City, is that correct?

That'd be the plan :smile: although academia is probably less stressful.
What is the point of life for loosers ?
Where are you doing the PHd at? How are you liking it? What strand of economics are you interested in? Did you get funding? Worth it? :biggrin:

(So many questions :frown: )
Original post by James222
What is the point of life for loosers ?

I prefer questions that make sense, but thanks for trying.
Original post by Reluctant Economist
Where are you doing the PHd at? How are you liking it? What strand of economics are you interested in? Did you get funding? Worth it? :biggrin:

(So many questions :frown: )

First, I'll ask you why you're a 'reluctant' economics :lol:

Loughborough.

I wasn't that keen at the start, but that was more due to the tutorial teaching - I wanted to focus on the actual thesis. A lot of theses take a bit of time to get into and discover the true area of your work/gaps in the literature, but once you get into it it's actually quite enjoyable. It can be a little tedious when you have hundreds of millions of observations to deal with, but that's all a part of what I need to do.

My PhD is in applied microeconometrics, which is essentially applying econometric models to discrete micro data.

Yeah, I got the standard PhD studentship they offer, as well as fees paid for. I wouldn't imagine any English people would do PhDs if it wasn't for funding :lol: - hardly any English people seem to be doing Economics masters, let alone PhDs degrees. I have saved a lot of money due to the tax-freeness of being a student, and being able to have multiple income streams.
Reply 19
That'd be the plan :smile: although academia is probably less stressful.

Just out of curiosity, how much they pay in the Bank of England?

Quick Reply

Latest