The Student Room Group

how do i find an effective way to study?

i dont know how to study
honestly.
All i do is read my textbook it doesn't help

Scroll to see replies

Get a study buddy!
Reply 2
I found that using revision guides to
make short notes on index cards was useful:smile:
Alternatively make notes from your exercise book or use the syllabus extract from that subject😊
If you are doing AQA science then I found the videos on 'mygcsescience.com' really helpful to explain things that I didn't understand
I find making notes useful. Even highlighting keywords and definitions is more likely to make you remember the information rather than reading
You can makes notes (Either condense what you have to learn, or only right down the bits you really can't remember). I like to condense, then when I go back to it, I try to condense those notes and so on until you get it.

You can make flashcards with questions, which care always nice. Like say you had a fact you had to remember: 'The chemical formula of salt is NaCl'. On one side write 'What is the chemical formula of salt?' and the other write 'NaCl'.

You can also try past paper/past questions to test your knowledge and see if it's sticking. Also shows you where you need to improve, or where you're doing fine.

Working in groups helps, as you can learn together or test each other.

I'm sure there's many other ways to learn o/
Telling someone about what I've learnt.
Reply 6
Original post by Reluctant Economist

Who do you tell?
Original post by David B
Who do you tell?

You. :wink:

On a serious note usually the people I hang out with. They get annoyed so I just go off on a tangent. It's just understanding the concepts and then the application comes easy for me.
Reply 8
As has been said, the best form of revision likely involves answering questions.

Having said that, I'll be entering my second year of uni and I'm still not entirely sure how to study. All I know is that I get slightly better at it every year.
Reply 9
You. :wink:

On a serious note usually the people I hang out with. They get annoyed so I just go off on a tangent. It's just understanding the concepts and then the application comes easy for me.

Me? :colondollar::cool:
Reply 10
Original post by AlphaNick
Read the textbooks and make notes based on your own understanding in your own words.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymousmouse
Get a study buddy!

I used to have one! but shes a little intense and crazy when it comes to studying
Reply 12
Original post by daisychain_
I find making notes useful. Even highlighting keywords and definitions is more likely to make you remember the information rather than reading

i see, thank you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by MrDystopia
You can makes notes (Either condense what you have to learn, or only right down the bits you really can't remember). I like to condense, then when I go back to it, I try to condense those notes and so on until you get it.

You can make flashcards with questions, which care always nice. Like say you had a fact you had to remember: 'The chemical formula of salt is NaCl'. On one side write 'What is the chemical formula of salt?' and the other write 'NaCl'.

You can also try past paper/past questions to test your knowledge and see if it's sticking. Also shows you where you need to improve, or where you're doing fine.

Working in groups helps, as you can learn together or test each other.

I'm sure there's many other ways to learn o/

thank you, it helps :smile:
Reply 14

Thank you my best friend does it to me but sometimes i feel like killing her!!
Reply 15
Original post by Vian
As has been said, the best form of revision likely involves answering questions.

Having said that, I'll be entering my second year of uni and I'm still not entirely sure how to study. All I know is that I get slightly better at it every year.

ahh i see thank you soo much :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by SuzDav
I found that using revision guides to
make short notes on index cards was useful:smile:
Alternatively make notes from your exercise book or use the syllabus extract from that subject������
If you are doing AQA science then I found the videos on 'mygcsescience.com' really helpful to explain things that I didn't understand

I am doing aqa science! thank you soooo much:smile:
I find it most helpful to make notes on whatever it is (I often end up just copying out of a text book, which is probably a really bad thing to do, but it worked for me!) and uses different colours for keywords/topics/diagrams/labels etc to make it look more interesting. Also, don't just do use one method (unless you find something that really works for you) - make huge (or small) spider diagrams or flash cards etc. I find that using lots of different colours helps!
When revising for GCSE History I ended up just talking to my parents about it all! :smile:
Reply 18
Original post by sailorcat
I am doing aqa science! thank you soooo much:smile:

You're welcome! Good luck I'm sure you'll do great!!😊👍
i dont know how to study
honestly.
All i do is read my textbook it doesn't help

USE TSR ask people questions take notes use the internet (GOOGLE IT)
research about what your learning

Quick Reply

Latest