The Student Room Group

What A-level's are you taking? 2014

For those who have just completed GCSE's, sixth-form is fast approaching.

What A-levels are you planning to take?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BC95
For those who have just completed GCSE's, sixth-form is fast approaching.

What A-levels are you planning to take?

Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History (all AQA). What about you?

I aim to continue the former 2 and decide between the latter 2 after AS and pursue a Biochemistry degree.

What about yourself? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by DanMargetts
Biology, Chemistry, Maths and History (all AQA). What about you?

I aim to continue the former 2 and decide between the latter 2 after AS and pursue a Biochemistry degree.

What about yourself? :smile:

I've just finished my A-level's:biggrin: , but it's always interesting to see what subjects new sixth-formers are taking.

I did Economics, History and English Lit.

What do you plan to study at uni :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Biology, chemistry, maths and french :smile:
Original post by BC95
I've just finished my A-level's:biggrin: , but it's always interesting to see what subjects new sixth-formers are taking.

I did Economics, History and English Lit.

What do you plan to study at uni :smile:

Ooh, Mr fancy pants! Good luck on results day, I hope you do fantastically!
What were your AS Grades if you don't mind me asking? And any recommendations on coping with the jump from GCSE to A Level while learning to drive and possibly doing a part-time job? :wink:

I'd like to do a Biochemistry degree... or Biology... or Chemistry... definitely Science anyway :biggrin: Are you off to Uni?
Reply 5
Original post by melody19
Biology, chemistry, maths and french :smile:

Three sciences and a language nice!

Any ideas what you want to study at uni?
1. Maths
2. Further Maths
3. Physics
4. Unsure (History/Eng Lit/Chemistry)
5. Citizenship (compulsory :frown:)

Hoping to study Maths at uni :biggrin:
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
And French AS, but that's going to be self-taught and I'm not going to do the exam.

I'm currently deciding what I want to study at uni. I'm torn between Chemistry/Physics and Medicine
Reply 8
Ooh, Mr fancy pants! Good luck on results day, I hope you do fantastically!
What were your AS Grades if you don't mind me asking? And any recommendations on coping with the jump from GCSE to A Level while learning to drive and possibly doing a part-time job? :wink:

I'd like to do a Biochemistry degree... or Biology... or Chemistry... definitely Science anyway :biggrin: Are you off to Uni?

Best of luck to you too:smile: ! I got AAB and an A in general studies. I plan to take a gap year and re-apply to uni.

I think getting a job is a great way to make money but depending on the hours it could put some strain on your academics. Some people I know tried and failed to balance academics with a job, whilst others succeeded.

If anything I recommend writing your revision notes as soon as possible after your lesson. By the time it comes to exams you will have a good quality set of notes.

Biochemistry sounds really interesting... even though I have zero knowledge of the field :biggrin:
Original post by BC95
Three sciences and a language nice!

Any ideas what you want to study at uni?

Thank you, I think it's quite a nice combination (obviously I'm biased as they're my own choices) :wink:

Mmmmmm not 100% sure, am mostly leaning towards medicine (haha typical I know!) but have also thought about something like a natural sciences degree.

And then I was thinking maybe going down a maths kind of route. I love maths, it's always been my favourite subject but I don't think I'd enjoy it at uni so idk (and I haven't got further maths so that makes it a bit tricky)
Or economics, I'm really interested in it but didn't have space to do it next year. Again though I don't have FM so it puts me at a bit of a disadvantage.
I wanted to take FM as a fifth but idk, I thought it would be too much!

And if I can somehow get to continue french at uni that would be nice :smile:

How about you, what are you planning to do next and did you enjoy the subjects you took at a level? :smile:

Edit: just read above, what do you want to study at university? And congratulations on your results, they're really good :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Madmatician
1. Maths
2. Further Maths
3. Physics
4. Unsure (History/Eng Lit/Chemistry)
5. Citizenship (compulsory:frown: )

Hoping to study Maths at uni :biggrin:

Wow that's a tough set of A-levels you have there!

Is that why you're called the Madmatician? :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by thechemistress
Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.
And French AS, but that's going to be self-taught and I'm not going to do the exam.

I'm currently deciding what I want to study at uni. I'm torn between Chemistry/Physics and Medicine

A tough selection of subjects, but if (and when) you get good results you will no doubt have a large selection of degree options :smile:

Good luck for results day!
Original post by BC95
A tough selection of subjects, but if (and when) you get good results you will no doubt have a large selection of degree options :smile:

Good luck for results day!

Good luck to you too :biggrin:
Original post by BC95
Best of luck to you too:smile: ! I got AAB and an A in general studies. I plan to take a gap year and re-apply to uni.

I think getting a job is a great way to make money but depending on the hours it could put some strain on your academics. Some people I know tried and failed to balance academics with a job, whilst others succeeded.

If anything I recommend writing your revision notes as soon as possible after your lesson. By the time it comes to exams you will have a good quality set of notes.

Biochemistry sounds really interesting... even though I have zero knowledge of the field :biggrin:

Hahahah!!

Thank you for the advice, I'll see how it all works out!
Of course if I can't manage it, then I'll just quit... plan'n'simple.

Enjoy your gap year! Will you ride on Elephants while exploring Tanzania with your newfangled love for spiritual ceremonies? ... something like that :wink:
Reply 14
Thank you, I think it's quite a nice combination (obviously I'm biased as they're my own choices) :wink:

Mmmmmm not 100% sure, am mostly leaning towards medicine (haha typical I know!) but have also thought about something like a natural sciences degree.

And then I was thinking maybe going down a maths kind of route. I love maths, it's always been my favourite subject but I don't think I'd enjoy it at uni so idk (and I haven't got further maths so that makes it a bit tricky)
Or economics, I'm really interested in it but didn't have space to do it next year. Again though I don't have FM so it puts me at a bit of a disadvantage.
I wanted to take FM as a fifth but idk, I thought it would be too much!

And if I can somehow get to continue french at uni that would be nice :smile:

How about you, what are you planning to do next and did you enjoy the subjects you took at a level? :smile:

Edit: just read above, what do you want to study at university? And congratulations on your results, they're really good :biggrin:

I've got it, you could study medicine and then become a doctor with you're own practise in the centre of Paris due to you're advanced knoweldge of the French language!

I enjoyed History and loved Economics, sadly I hated English Lit on the most part until we got onto the Shakespeare and Chaucer :smile:

I would study Economics at uni but sadly I didn't study maths at A-Level (an essential requirement) :frown:

Good luck for results day!! :biggrin:
Original post by BC95
I've got it, you could study medicine and then become a doctor with you're own practise in the centre of Paris due to you're advanced knoweldge of the French language!

I enjoyed History and loved Economics, sadly I hated English Lit on the most part until we got onto the Shakespeare and Chaucer :smile:

I would study Economics at uni but sadly I didn't study maths at A-Level (an essential requirement) :frown:

Good luck for results day!! :biggrin:

Hahaha sounds like a great plan :wink:

Ahh that's annoying, I'm glad you at least found something you liked

Ohh that sucks :frown: so what are you planning to do after your gap year? (if you don't mind me asking)

Thank you, you too :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hahahah!!

Thank you for the advice, I'll see how it all works out!
Of course if I can't manage it, then I'll just quit... plan'n'simple.

Enjoy your gap year! Will you ride on Elephants while exploring Tanzania with your newfangled love for spiritual ceremonies? ... something like that :wink:

Sounds like you've got things worked out.

Next year I will either ride on elephants or spend my days continually re-watching the Game Of Thrones box sets.

It could go either way :cool:
Reply 17
Hahaha sounds like a great plan :wink:

Ahh that's annoying, I'm glad you at least found something you liked

Ohh that sucks :frown: so what are you planning to do after your gap year? (if you don't mind me asking)

Thank you, you too :biggrin:

After my gap year I intend to go to Uni, who knows which one :biggrin:

Do you have a university you aspire to go to?
Original post by BC95
Wow that's a tough set of A-levels you have there!

Is that why you're called the Madmatician? :biggrin:

I think Maths and FM will be okay-ish. FM will definitely make normal Maths a lot easier, so I kind of see those two as just one subject really...

Haha yep :yep: people tend to think I'm mad for liking Maths so much, so: mad + mathematician = Madmatician! haha :biggrin:
Biology, Chemistry and English literature
I will take Maths if I get an A if not I have about 4 other choices depending on my GCSE results :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest