The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Any First years who haven't been able to get accomodation on campus??

Hi all
I just got my accomodation letter/pack this morning and found out that i've been put on the waiting list for accomodation on campus, so i have to either stay with a host family or find my own accomodation?? Was just wondering if anyone has any advice?? or if anyone in the same position would be interested in getting a student house between a bunch of us?
Reply 1
I was in that situation too.

you're probably best off waiting til you're there and have met people in person before getting a house with them, but there's no harm in looking now.

I was with a host family for two weeks. Far from ideal, but live with-able.

Try emailing the housing office to ask them for detailed advice, and ask for access to the housing list passwords.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Thanks for the advice, i've got the password so will have a look.:redface:

How come you were only with a host family for two weeks?? Was it weird/uncomfortable or okay?
Reply 3
Because I found a house with my new found friends in the same situation.

Far from ideal.

Host families would be alright if you're on the night bus route. I was two buses from uni. Which sucked. Obviously it depends on the hosts in question, but I'm sure it'll be fine as a temporary measure.

I understand that the union are looking into doing more for those off campus this year. Hopefully they'll make good on that.

I found it was much like living with my mum. Very strange. But they were nice enough, and welcoming.
Reply 4
This happened to a few of my friends last year - some stayed with host families for a few weeks (think the longest was about a month) and others found houses with second years but either way they were offered uni accommodation quite quickly (obviously a bit annoying if you've just signed a year's contract for a house). It's up to you which option you decide to go for but whether you live on campus or not you can still have a great freshers' experience, you might just have to make a bit more of an effort. Good luck, hope you manage to sort something out soon.
Oh wow so do you tend to get university accomodation on campus quite quickly after being put with a host family?? sorry to ask so many questions but it's just that this is becoming a big issue with me...i'm studying english and don't want to have to be off campus for a whole year, having to go on a train/buses to get to the library or meet people to discuss essays etc. I'm even considering taking a gap year and reapplying next year for accomodation on campus.......?:eek:
Reply 6
I was off campus for the whole year.

It ain't that bad. You have to do it in years two and three when the course is more intensive anyway. English doesn't have that many hours compared to my flatmate's subject, and he managed to make it in for his lectures and tutorials OK!

I was offered a room after about six weeks, but I didn't take it. I think five others got offered the room too, so you'll have to reply to the email quickly if you do get an offer.
Reply 7
sharon_oneill123
Oh wow so do you tend to get university accomodation on campus quite quickly after being put with a host family??

Everybody I knew did but I think it's different for everybody. Remember there will be loads of people in the same situation - last year none of the insurance people had uni-managed accommodation at the beginning of the year - and from what I remember there were a few social things organised for the people in host families to get to know each other, although I'm not too sure what.

sharon_oneill123
sorry to ask so many questions but it's just that this is becoming a big issue with me...i'm studying english and don't want to have to be off campus for a whole year, having to go on a train/buses to get to the library or meet people to discuss essays etc. I'm even considering taking a gap year and reapplying next year for accomodation on campus.......?:eek:

Being off campus really isn't that big a deal. I lived in Holland House for the whole of the first year which meant a 45 minute bus ride to uni sometimes for lectures and stuff but you just get used to it. It may seem harder to get involved in uni life if you're not on campus all the time but you can still make friends from your course and from randomly talking to people in Freshers' Week, as well as joining societies and stuff. Obviously it's up to you but I wouldn't take a gap year just because you haven't been given on campus accommodation, you can still have a great uni experience :smile:
Reply 8
Howdy,

I'm a fresher and I rang up a while back because Sussex was my insurance, and I knew there was a risk that I wouldn't get somewhere to live. They told me that I should have a look, so I went to the website they recommended, and I found somewhere! There are loads of places left, so don't worry (although I was in a panic at the time!). Seriously, the website is really useful and if you try a search engine, you'll find other sites. Don't worry :smile:
Reply 9
Sussex was my insurance and I've had no response about housing from Sussex yet... Two of my friends are looking for a house together in Brighton and I'd quite like to join them - am I still legally obliged to take the accommodation Sussex offers me? Ideally I wanted to live on campus, but I'd rather live with my friends in town than somewhere really grotty or with a host-family, or in a shared room.
Jessica!!
Sussex was my insurance and I've had no response about housing from Sussex yet... Two of my friends are looking for a house together in Brighton and I'd quite like to join them - am I still legally obliged to take the accommodation Sussex offers me?

No, not at all.
bazlette
Howdy,

I'm a fresher and I rang up a while back because Sussex was my insurance, and I knew there was a risk that I wouldn't get somewhere to live. They told me that I should have a look, so I went to the website they recommended, and I found somewhere! There are loads of places left, so don't worry (although I was in a panic at the time!). Seriously, the website is really useful and if you try a search engine, you'll find other sites. Don't worry :smile:

Hey!
Thanks for the advice. So what website did they tell you to look at?
Reply 12
I haven't recieved a response yet :s

Did you apply before the August 1st deadline?
Ring them.

I didn't even get the letter, I only found out because one of the first years here in the same situation (who ended up being my housemate) posted about it here.
Reply 14
Help! I'm in the same situation and terrified about it!! :s-smilie: I really want to live on campus so ive applied for a host family, but apparently they're not guaranteed, so what do i do then? Eep!!
Reply 15
http://www.studentpad.co.uk/sussex/Message-Board.asp

That's the one they sent me - it's really useful! Good luck!

Latest

Trending

Trending