The Student Room Group

Been accepted for an Apprenticeship will I have to resit Maths? HELP!!!

Hi,
I have been accepted for an Apprenticeship after sitting my GCSE's in June. The apprenticeship is with my local council and I have done an assessment and have been accepted whatever my grades turn out to be. I know that when you got to college, by law, if you haven't passed maths en you have to resit it. I was wondering will I have to resit my maths exam while doing the apprenticeship?
Thanks,
WHUFC06
Original post by WHUFC06
Hi,
I have been accepted for an Apprenticeship after sitting my GCSE's in June. The apprenticeship is with my local council and I have done an assessment and have been accepted whatever my grades turn out to be. I know that when you got to college, by law, if you haven't passed maths en you have to resit it. I was wondering will I have to resit my maths exam while doing the apprenticeship?
Thanks,
WHUFC06

Hello,

I'm not entirely sure how true this is - I believe it only applies for those who achieved less than a C grade in English.

With this in mind, the minimum requirement is 5 A*-C grades at GCSE including English and Maths, therefore even though you have an offer of an apprenticeship, if your Maths grade is a D or lower I would probably resit maths just to help you out in the future (some job roles want at least a B in GCSE maths).

Hope this helps, and congratulations on getting your apprenticeship!! :smile:
Original post by WHUFC06
Hi,
Thanks,
WHUFC06

Same position as you and this is what I don't get. it says i will be studying functional skills level 2 maths,english,ict but I want to retake gcse maths along side the apprenticeship is this possible?

Congratz on the apprenticeship. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Bossman2k14
Same position as you and this is what I don't get. it says i will be studying functional skills level 2 maths,english,ict but I want to retake gcse maths along side the apprenticeship is this possible?

Congratz on the apprenticeship. :smile:

You complete the level 2 functional skills instead of the GCSE, which is actually a part of the apprenticeship framework (so I don't think you can just switch to GCSE).
However, I think GCSEs are the better qualification because they are much better recognised. If you really wanted to resit your GCSE you can do it in your own time; either by taking an evening course at a local college, or by self-studying and just taking the exams as a private candidate in an exam centre.
Original post by samsama
You complete the level 2 functional skills instead of the GCSE, which is actually a part of the apprenticeship framework (so I don't think you can just switch to GCSE).
However, I think GCSEs are the better qualification because they are much better recognised. If you really wanted to resit your GCSE you can do it in your own time; either by taking an evening course at a local college, or by self-studying and just taking the exams as a private candidate in an exam centre.

Yh I'll just do the private candidate one but it looks costly. Will it cost me I'm 16 years old. i turn 17 in December but the resit is in November for GCSE maths edexcel and I'll still be 16. I'll have to ask my school I just left if they will take me on as a private candidate hopefully they will :frown:
Hi Just wondered what happened was you required to resit maths,I'm wondering the same I found out that I'd the apprenticeship scheme is not government funded then it's up to the company whether you need to resit,I have a functional skills but I think it's level 1?
Reply 6
Original post by cookie1234567
Hi Just wondered what happened was you required to resit maths,I'm wondering the same I found out that I'd the apprenticeship scheme is not government funded then it's up to the company whether you need to resit,I have a functional skills but I think it's level 1?

Sorry haven't been on here for a while. I passed maths so there was no need to re sit :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending