The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Maker
They are suppose to be clever, if they really are that clever, they should be able to find out how to use their intelligence to benefit themselves and those around them. Being able to solve equations or remembering a load of cards but not understanding how to make things better for themselves is not really that intelligent.

They're children aged 10 who have been brainwashed by their parents. A little harsh...
Reply 41
Bit of a farce, the kids are clearly taught the absolute basics of things and know nothing of substance on the topics they spout about. Still, it's better than most TV these days.
Original post by little_wizard123
Honestly think their parents could be done for child abuse. The problem is the kids don't know any better so they think that their lives are normal, and how their parents behave is correct. I'd have hated to have them as parents.

I genuinely think there are many kids who could be that good at that age, it just requires completely awful an pushy parents. Definitely a competition for the parents, who obviously feel the ned to live through their kids.

They all go to normal school right? So they know what other children are like and behave. Since there parents push them so much, they will be so far ahead in school than their peers so it must be boring for them :frown:
Just caught the end of tonights show.

Kids look horribly miserable and sad.
It's not genius, just memorisation and regurgitation of information.
Some of the parents should be ashamed of themselves putting so much unnecessary pressure on a child.
Most of the parents seem OK tbf. In many cases it's the child who has entered themselves into the competition and they've had to go along with it as best they can. The really horrible ones (Tudor/Hazelle's and Aliyah's) are the minority. I was willing Tudor to be out this week just because his parents have made him so convinced of hos own genius. But it's sad - he will never live up to their standards.
I feel sorry for the poor kids! I'm all for encouraging your kid's interests and pushing them to do well but it's a bit sad really. I also agree with everyone about the psychologists. What hope does that kid have?
I generally disagree with MENSA nonsense and 'child genius' statuses anyway. When you're 8, who knows how you'll end up?
Original post by TSA
Just caught the end of tonights show.

Kids look horribly miserable and sad.
It's not genius, just memorisation and regurgitation of information.
Some of the parents should be ashamed of themselves putting so much unnecessary pressure on a child.

was there a show tonight. Was it on channel 4? because i couldn't see it on my tv.
Original post by Larissa14
was there a show tonight. Was it on channel 4? because i couldn't see it on my tv.

Yeah. It was the one before the final, 6 got through to the final. Not sure if it was a repeat or live. It was on at 9.
Original post by TSA
Yeah. It was the one before the final, 6 got through to the final. Not sure if it was a repeat or live. It was on at 9.

Oh well, i live in scotland so it might just been shown in england or something. Im sure it will be on 4OD. :redface:
Reply 49
Original post by little_wizard123
They're children aged 10 who have been brainwashed by their parents. A little harsh...

I expect they will become well known to mental health services in the near future.
Original post by Maker
I expect they will become well known to mental health services in the near future.

Maybe even social services, judging by some of the parents, I would hate to know how far some of those parents "push" their children.
Reply 51
Original post by TSA
Maybe even social services, judging by some of the parents, I would hate to know how far some of those parents "push" their children.

SS tends to go for the proletariat, not the middle classes.
Original post by ArtGoblin
Most of the parents seem OK tbf. In many cases it's the child who has entered themselves into the competition and they've had to go along with it as best they can. The really horrible ones (Tudor/Hazelle's and Aliyah's) are the minority. I was willing Tudor to be out this week just because his parents have made him so convinced of hos own genius. But it's sad - he will never live up to their standards.

Have you seen the first two episodes? There were a couple of parents who were psychologists. They were by far the worst. The Twitter abuse towards them was incredible :lol: (but correct).
I think everybody on it needs to be taught that there is so much more to life than being smart and that's it's okay not to be the best at everything. They need to understand that not being the best at everything doesn't make you a failure, it makes you human.
Tudors reaction to him being not being in the top 3 was priceless.
Original post by Mike.Ross
Tudors reaction to him being not being in the top 3 was priceless.

I rewound it & watched it again. He was so sure he was in the top 3, hahahaha.
I think Rubaiyat or Sharon are going to win. I like they're parents too, they aren't too pushy like the weird psychologist parents.
Just caught up with the series. Rubaiyat is definitely going to win this. He hasn't failed at anything yet! I'm happy his dad wants to wait before sending him to university.

Tudor and his parents are incredibly annoying. I can't blame him for his attitude because his parents arent even happy with one single wrong answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
One thing I don't like about the show is how they define child genius. I can just imagine Albert Einstein doing this competition and not even do as well as some of these children. There are some many different way talent can be expressed and some children are late bloomers. however these kids are impressive. I just hope they use their skills to make something legendary of their lives because the title 'child genius' will not mean a thing in a few years.
I feel sorry for the children (same with the child beauty pageants) I understand that they are smarter than your typical child that age but there's no need to exploit them on national tv, just so the parents get their five minutes of fame. Let kids be kids; also don't pressure them into doing a career that they don't have any interest in them as it's their life.

I only watched 10 minutes of the first episode and thought it was tedious.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest