The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This should be in the TV subforum
Is it back on again? I've only seen the old ones a few years back and I rememeber the kids being really arrogant and thinking they were superior to their parents. Can't stand it tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The kids are brought up as domestic pets... Really annoying show
Original post by yennibubs
Is it back on again? I've only seen the old ones a few years back and I rememeber the kids being really arrogant and thinking they were superior to their parents. Can't stand it tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it is.
Kids seem alright this year to be fair.
There is this couple, who went to extreme lengths for her daughter to gain an competitive edge. They also went around serving carrot juice to the other parents and kids. Apparently, because they know what's good...
The parents annoy me more than the children.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Some kids aren't that bad, I feel sorry for some they look miserable.
Reply 7
As sad as this sounds, I don't like watching that show because it makes me a little depressed about myself.
Reply 8
I love the show, but we have to admit its quite cruel :frown:
Children, like us all are characterised by their environment so if they appear to be a little arrogant it's not their fault tbh
But what I found particularly cruel is the parents reactions and 'support' in some cases, I mean when the child psychologist asks her daughter if she can forgive herself for not getting through? What the sweets! And don't get me started on Tudors parents! He did sooo well Ma Shaa Allah, but they were so hard on him - the kids like 8!
The education regimes these parents run are a little extreme, but I think to some degree they are good- getting their kids motivated to do well rather than waste time watching tv.
The red-head girl who was home schooled and got out in the first episode,remember? I like how she is free spirited and carters her own learning, but boy do her parents have to send her to school! They are wasting her intelligence.
I feel like both extremes- strict education learning structure and free spirited liberal systems have to be met in the middle.
Original post by qwerty73
As sad as this sounds, I don't like watching that show because it makes me a little depressed about myself.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't really see the problem with the parents. We only see the children around the competition, I think it's impossible to judge their overall happiness through just that. As for the parents seemingly harsh on them when they do bad, so what? If it pushes/motivates the kids, then what's bad about it?
Me and my mum watch the show together and every single time, get more and more pissed off with the parents. Especially that family where the mum and step-dad are psychologists... :lolwut:. They treat their child like an experiment, it's actually just sad, tbh. The mum is the worst though, I'm pretty sure she said her daughter wasn't as smart as she was? She needs to get over herself :lol:. And those frigging smoothies they make her drink with cabbage and stuff in them... :colonhash:

#rant.
They spend so much time revising when they should be outside playing.
some parents are worse than other of course
Original post by qwerty73

haha it certainly, does.

Original post by M-Dog

Tudors mum started to cry because he 'under achieved', even though, he passed into the next round. I was like, "WHAAT!?".
I was a bit 'iffy' with the home schooling, how long would her parents be able to keep it up?
The Asian boy (maths genius one) is my fav. But it is a bit sad knowing that he has to read books on how to make friends.

I agree with being somewhere in the middle.

But I guess these kids will be the ones laughing at the end, once they've secured top jobs.
Reply 14
Original post by Mike.Ross

But I guess these kids will be the ones laughing at the end, once they've secured top jobs.

Will they, though? Are these not the sort of children that generally struggle with modern-day job interviews.
Original post by MJ1012
Will they, though? Are these not the sort of children that generally struggle with modern-day job interviews.

Good point.
I think it's difficult to put all of them into a definite category.
Interview/people skills is something which they can improve over time.
Original post by MJ1012

If you actually watch many of them seem like they'd be fine in interviews

Posted from TSR Mobile
Felt bad for Cuneyd, he seemed like a nice kid and although he wanted to win (who doesn't), he wasn't extremely desperate e.g. Tudor and the fruit juice kid
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
Felt bad for Cuneyd, he seemed like a nice kid and although he wanted to win (who doesn't), he wasn't extremely desperate e.g. Tudor and the fruit juice kid

Yeah, I think he kind of took it well though and seemed to gain confidence which is nice to see. Who's the fruit juice kid lmao?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Genuinely worried about how Eleanor will function in the real world. This "child genius" business definitely doesn't take street smarts into account...

Latest

Trending

Trending