The Student Room Group

French AS level

Hi, I've just done GCSEs and am expected to get A* in French. Just wondering, how much work is French A level compared to other subjects? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sarah Bethany
Hi, I've just done GCSEs and am expected to get A* in French. Just wondering, how much work is French A level compared to other subjects? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi!

I think it all depends on how well you cope with languages as a whole. Some people think they have the largest workload, yet others think they have the smallest. Which other subjects are you taking?

In my experience, the workload changed dramatically from GCSE languages to A-level: the jump is huge, and there were a lot of people in my class who dropped out after the first month or even less. But that doesn't mean to say everyone will. :smile:
Original post by chloevictoria
Hi!

I think it all depends on how well you cope with languages as a whole. Some people think they have the largest workload, yet others think they have the smallest. Which other subjects are you taking?

In my experience, the workload changed dramatically from GCSE languages to A-level: the jump is huge, and there were a lot of people in my class who dropped out after the first month or even less. But that doesn't mean to say everyone will. :smile:

I don't actually have French timetabled - I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. I want to continue with French though, and I asked a teacher if there was anything I could do over summer to keep it up a bit. She suggested doing French A level as an extra just with her in a study period - I originally agreed but have now said I can't because it would be too much work..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I personally don't think the work load is that bad, we get set a lot of tasks to do from the text book or online! I would advise that you learn your grammar, i got an A* in GCSE and i'm predicted an A this year but i'm worried i won't get it because i didn't learn enough grammar! Also AS french is a lot different to GCSE french, in GCSE you basically have to put your opinion after everything whereas AS in more learning set expressions and knowing the pros and cons of everything
Original post by amejv
I personally don't think the work load is that bad, we get set a lot of tasks to do from the text book or online! I would advise that you learn your grammar, i got an A* in GCSE and i'm predicted an A this year but i'm worried i won't get it because i didn't learn enough grammar! Also AS french is a lot different to GCSE french, in GCSE you basically have to put your opinion after everything whereas AS in more learning set expressions and knowing the pros and cons of everything

Which other A levels did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Which other A levels did you take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take history, media and sociology
I think it depends, I got an A at GCSE but then I was getting Us at the start of AS, I worked really hard and got up to Bs/Cs but then in the exam I received a D (A in oral exam and E in written paper).

I was really passionate about French until I saw that my grades weren't matching up to the effort I was putting in. That said, I never gave up. I think that if you keep being enthusiastic it will work, but don't let it take over you like I did (I was getting better marks in French but lower grades in other subjects because at the time I didn't know how to balance). You tend to know what you're capable of; I didn't take French at A2 despite loving the topics because I knew that I didn't have the capability to get good enough grades!
Original post by amejv
I take history, media and sociology

Ew haha I did GCSE History and hated it! That was partly because of my unorganised teacher, but yeah, I'm more for maths and science :smile:
Is that combination a lot of writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't actually have French timetabled - I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths. I want to continue with French though, and I asked a teacher if there was anything I could do over summer to keep it up a bit. She suggested doing French A level as an extra just with her in a study period - I originally agreed but have now said I can't because it would be too much work..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've never met anybody with the same subject combo as me!
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year and then French as an extra curricular :biggrin:
Original post by Furandesu
I think it depends, I got an A at GCSE but then I was getting Us at the start of AS, I worked really hard and got up to Bs/Cs but then in the exam I received a D (A in oral exam and E in written paper).

I was really passionate about French until I saw that my grades weren't matching up to the effort I was putting in. That said, I never gave up. I think that if you keep being enthusiastic it will work, but don't let it take over you like I did (I was getting better marks in French but lower grades in other subjects because at the time I didn't know how to balance). You tend to know what you're capable of; I didn't take French at A2 despite loving the topics because I knew that I didn't have the capability to get good enough grades!

Ah thanks :smile:
I think I'm just gonna leave it because I won't have enough time to get a good grade with my other subjects as well!
Is the oral exam the one where you don't get the questions beforehand and you just kinda have to have a conversation??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Ew haha I did GCSE History and hated it! That was partly because of my unorganised teacher, but yeah, I'm more for maths and science :smile:
Is that combination a lot of writing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used to really like history at gcse so i obviously did it at A level but i hate it so much now. My teachers were so bad and we hated each other, so i stopped going to the lessons for a while ahah! I'm not expecting a good result in it, anything higher than a U will be fine with me, considering i didn't bother revising!
History was a lot of essays and my teacher used to set us so many tasks that he made out would only take half an hour but instead took like two hours! Media, is a lot of writing but i really enjoyed it and got 92/100 on coursework, so it paid off in the end. Sociology is so much writing, you have to put so many arguments in your essays it's so stressful
What a levels are you wanting to take?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow, five A-levels and a potential sixth :eek: That's amazing! Your teacher clearly saw that you were capable enough to cope with the workload if she suggested doing French as an A-level on the side.

However, I think you have made the right decision; you wouldn't want to neglect it or let it stress you out too much! Also, you don't need an A-level to keep up your language skills, there are lots of apps and websites which you could use whenever you have any spare/free time.
Original post by thechemistress
I've never met anybody with the same subject combo as me!
I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year and then French as an extra curricular :biggrin:

Oh wow! :biggrin:
So you're doing French on top of your other 5??!
Have you done AS yet? Or what stage are you at??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh wow! :biggrin:
So you're doing French on top of your other 5??!
Have you done AS yet? Or what stage are you at??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just finished my GCSEs xD
I'm doing five AS and then self-teaching French AS. I won't actually do the exam in it though xD
Original post by amejv
I used to really like history at gcse so i obviously did it at A level but i hate it so much now. My teachers were so bad and we hated each other, so i stopped going to the lessons for a while ahah! I'm not expecting a good result in it, anything higher than a U will be fine with me, considering i didn't bother revising!
History was a lot of essays and my teacher used to set us so many tasks that he made out would only take half an hour but instead took like two hours! Media, is a lot of writing but i really enjoyed it and got 92/100 on coursework, so it paid off in the end. Sociology is so much writing, you have to put so many arguments in your essays it's so stressful
What a levels are you wanting to take?

I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths next year! I also have the option to do French on the side, but I don't think I can manage so I declined!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just finished my GCSEs xD
I'm doing five AS and then self-teaching French AS. I won't actually do the exam in it though xD

Haha! Same as me!! Not sure about the French though, how are you teaching yourself it??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha! Same as me!! Not sure about the French though, how are you teaching yourself it??

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm just going to get a French AS textbook and work from that. I'm also going to check in with my old french teacher from time to time.. Maybe ask her if she can mark an essay of mine or something like that. It's going to be a purely extracurricular thing :tongue:
Original post by chloevictoria
Wow, five A-levels and a potential sixth :eek: That's amazing! Your teacher clearly saw that you were capable enough to cope with the workload if she suggested doing French as an A-level on the side.

However, I think you have made the right decision; you wouldn't want to neglect it or let it stress you out too much! Also, you don't need an A-level to keep up your language skills, there are lots of apps and websites which you could use whenever you have any spare/free time.

Yeah, thanks! :smile: I'm gonna try to keep it up as much as possible, but knowing me I'll be too stressed with everything else to have the time! XD

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm just going to get a French AS textbook and work from that. I'm also going to check in with my old french teacher from time to time.. Maybe ask her if she can mark an essay of mine or something like that. It's going to be a purely extracurricular thing :tongue:

That seems like a good idea... My form tutor next year is a French teacher so she could help me out a bit if I decide to continue at all:smile: I got a text book from school for over summer and also my school's vocabulary book thing - there is so much vocabulary to learn!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ah thanks :smile:
I think I'm just gonna leave it because I won't have enough time to get a good grade with my other subjects as well!
Is the oral exam the one where you don't get the questions beforehand and you just kinda have to have a conversation??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, there were four topics and we had to talk about all of them. The way my school did it was that we had to pick a topic that we hated to present so that we could study the heck out of it; that way we didn't have to panic when the teacher asked random questions from the other three because we liked the rest and could probably answer in detail without having to think about anything.

^#^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending