The Student Room Group

Are uni housemates that bad?

Basically I just read through this "worst university experiences" and everyone seems to have had ******** roommates who go out until stupidly late and then start bothering you like every night. Tell me they're not all like this.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'm also really worried about this
Depends on the University and how they enforce their rules. I can't imagine places like Cambridge, Oxford, Durham, etc. Allowing this to go on in halls. Plus when you move out in second year you will already have good friends, whom you know how they behave, you simply move in with those friends which suit your requirements best for housemates.
Reply 3
Original post by EllieC130
Basically I just read through this "worst university experiences" and everyone seems to have had ******** roommates who go out until stupidly late and then start bothering you like every night. Tell me they're not all like this.

Original post by GemmaConlin
I'm also really worried about this

They aren't :smile: mine were lovely! Just think about the ratio of posters in that thread to posters on the site; its a rare experience that can happen, but is unlikely to happen to you!

Don't let a small possibility deter you :smile: you could possibly be struck by lightning too, but that's unlikely!
It depends who you're with :smile: I don't think there's anyway of telling till you get there :biggrin: Don't worry I think most people get on with the housemates... I was just unlucky :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
They're not all bad. But you do get the odd one that has zero respect for anyone else. I used to have a flatmate who would play his guitar at 3 in the morning and sing really loud, EVERY night. He also used to shave his pubes in the communal shower, poo and not flush, leave the kitchen in a mess, drag mud through the house and spit in the sink.

We'd ask him to stop and he'd say ok, sorry. But the next night it would be the exact same thing. So he got kicked out of halls.

I'd say that maybe 30% of people are awful flatmates. 70% are good.
Nope, I'm living with most of mine again next year :smile:

If you're worried about noise, earplugs and asking them to be a bit quieter are usually good answers. I'd say most people only go out once a week and occassionally twice if there's some an event or meetup going on with a society so really you just have to deal with people coming back late at night on Saturday or Sunday mornings and rarely during the week (and even then chances are you'll be far enough asleep that they won't wake you back up).
What... That's like asking 'are people that bad'. There's not a special group of human beings that are going to be your housemates. They're just normal people like you and me. Some will be great, some won't be. There's no way anyone can predict who you'll be living with.
Original post by EllieC130

They're not all like this. The people in my flat this year were pretty quiet but then you had the flat above us who were extremely loud.

It totally depends on who you're put with - it's a possibility that there'll be a couple of awful people, but most people I know didn't have a problem with their flatmates and got on well with them!
Reply 9
You only ever hear about the 'housemates from hell' stories which can blur your perception. The majority of people you find will be decent and considerate. It does depend on how lucky you are with the draw but you can always live with whoever you want in upcoming years.
No of course not. I absolutely adored every single one of my flatmates, I know very few people who dislike theirs. Some universities has questionnaires in place to match those with similar interests, which can help also. I agree with those saying you only ever hear horror stories, there's no point worrying/being negative about a possible problem until it actually happens.
I really liked having housemates at uni. It's just that good news is no news, and those of us who have good friends for housemates tend not to post about it on TSR, not least because there's no funny stories in it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending