The Student Room Group

A-Level results day: Didn't do as well as you'd hoped? Advice here - 14 August 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usycool1

Hey, I am sorry to hear about your extenuating circumstances and it can't have been easy with so many changes of teacher :no:

Hmm...you said you're passionate about Biology so in that sense, perhaps it may be worth retaking Biology to see if you can score a higher mark in it? :smile:

Thank you - my school isn't the greatest and the only decent teacher couldn't teach our class :s-smilie: I really enjoy the bio.....but i find photography tedious - I'll just have to go ahead retake and give it my best shot. :smile:
Reply 81
Hello, just looking for a bit of much needed advice. I took 3 subjects for AS and ended up getting a disappointing BDE. My school said I could carry on with resits and with a lot of hard work I could be able to push this up to a good enough grade however as I have no idea or experience with ucas, if I apply this year wouldn't uni's be able to see my low AS grades before I resit in the summer so I wouldn't even have a chance with the universities I would like to apply to? Does this mean I have to take a gap year in order for universities to consider me so they can see my overall a-level grade (including resits) rather than my bad AS grades?
Or would it be a better choice to just resit the year :/

Thank you!

usycool1
x

Changing Skies
x

MathsNerd1
x

Hype en Ecosse
x

Nirgilis
x
Rejected from my medicine offers, feel like all hard work has been wasted and only achieved ABB (I was predicted 3 As and worked my asd off). Applied for some priority remarks but it's looking like biochemistry for me. Hope everyone else on here is ok, I don't have any specific questions except how do you stop crying?!
Reply 83
how do admission tutors look at retakes on a gap year?
Reply 84
Original post by Student 1
Rejected from my medicine offers, feel like all hard work has been wasted and only achieved ABB (I was predicted 3 As and worked my asd off). Applied for some priority remarks but it's looking like biochemistry for me. Hope everyone else on here is ok, I don't have any specific questions except how do you stop crying?!

Same question my friend :'( I'm fine but then when someone brings up the topic my tears just flow out so embarrassingly! I'm just so gutted I guess
I got AABC for AS and I feel as if I won't get an offer from the top ten universities for my course. What do I do because I'm really anxious?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did you write the quotes without actually quoting? One of the more obscure super mod powers?
Reply 87
I got my AS grades today and I have mixed feelings. In Sociology (my favourite subject) I was predicted an A, but received a B overall after getting an A in one exam and an E in the other (AQA Unit 1). I cannot understand how I managed to get an E when I have been getting As in essays, so I going to resit the paper next year

I am confused as before results day I was sure that I was going to drop Philosophy and Ethics (Edexcel) as I really hate it and find it extremely difficult.However, I got an A in both exams (but I may not do as well next year!) .Now I am thinking about dropping English Language as I got an A in one exam and a B in the other, resulting in a B overall (I also dislike English Language).

Which subject shall I drop?
Reply 88
(If you PM'd or are awaiting a reply from me, I'll reply in a second :tongue:)

Original post by Dilzo999
How did you write the quotes without actually quoting? One of the more obscure super mod powers?

Magic :iiam:

Nah, insert noparse tags before adding them.

E.g. [noparse][noparse]
usycool1
x
[/noparse][/noparse]

:smile:
Original post by Zahra96
Same question my friend :'( I'm fine but then when someone brings up the topic my tears just flow out so embarrassingly! I'm just so gutted I guess

Yes my tear ducts are feeling rather energetic today :frown: sorry to hear, what did you apply for and have you got an alternative?
Reply 90
Yes my tear ducts are feeling rather energetic today :frown: sorry to hear, what did you apply for and have you got an alternative?

I'm still in yer 12 but my situations a sticky one :'( I just feel like my sixth form has failed me. By not allowing me to drop Bio and chem even after much persistence. Results in a double U. Messed up bad on the R.S exam so got a D. DUU, great isn't it. Got a B in sociology but which uni is gona even look at my application now! No uni for me now I guess!
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."
Original post by German123
You are worth a lot more than the grades you got on a piece of paper.

Always Remember "Winners are too busy to be sad, to positive to be doubtful, to optimistic to be fearful, and too determined to be defeated."

But it is an error to imagine that someone who is 'too busy to be sad, too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful' will therefore be a winner... so what's your point?
Original post by Zahra96
I'm still in yer 12 but my situations a sticky one :'( I just feel like my sixth form has failed me. By not allowing me to drop Bio and chem even after much persistence. Results in a double U. Messed up bad on the R.S exam so got a D. DUU, great isn't it. Got a B in sociology but which uni is gona even look at my application now! No uni for me now I guess!

Try not to panic too much, have you looked how far off you were and considered a remark? Drop chem as its harder. You may have to take a gap year and apply when you know your A2 grades, or you could maybe look at clearing in the same year? Good luck!
Reply 94
Also can someone explain what clearing is? Have no idea :/
Original post by tomfailinghelp
But it is an error to imagine that someone who is 'too busy to be sad, too positive to be doubtful, too optimistic to be fearful' will therefore be a winner... so what's your point?

What if the winner is scared of the dark?

Original post by keromedic
If you have to retake your A2 year, do most admissions depts mind?
I've no idea what course I'm going to do now but I'm just wondering if I have to cross quite a few places off!

I always knew you were a mathmo at heart :biggrin:.
Reply 96
Try not to panic too much, have you looked how far off you were and considered a remark? Drop chem as its harder. You may have to take a gap year and apply when you know your A2 grades, or you could maybe look at clearing in the same year? Good luck!

Awfully far. Yes I planned with my deputy head before results day that for year 13 I will drop both bio and chem and do another as and a2 in one year alongside sociology and r.s so il leave college with three alevels. And I took a gap year between college and school so I'm already a year behind, don't want to fall two years behind. Anyhow, how unselfish of me of not asking. How were your results and has your ultimate plan been successful?!
If you retake and get a lower score than before, is it your most recent retake or your highest score which is used?
Original post by Zahra96
Awfully far. Yes I planned with my deputy head before results day that for year 13 I will drop both bio and chem and do another as and a2 in one year alongside sociology and r.s so il leave college with three alevels. And I took a gap year between college and school so I'm already a year behind, don't want to fall two years behind. Anyhow, how unselfish of me of not asking. How were your results and has your ultimate plan been successful?!

Ok good luck anyway! I missed my offer for medicine (was AAA, got ABB) so am going to study biochemistry instead.
Reply 99
I got a b in biology and missed my offer. Is there any point in a remark if in 23 ums away from an A or shall I just admit defeat

Quick Reply

Latest