The Student Room Group

GCSE grades predicted to fall

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I wouldn't worry about it, they say this every year and sure there are injustices with marking but at the end of the day if you've worked your arse off and tried your best, why should you be worried? And if you haven't, well you'll be expecting less anyway
Original post by JayJay-C19
I personally think that the biggest issue is that they place people with no experience in education... in-charge of Education. The logic.

They've been in the UK education system haven't they? Who else would you put in charge, a pupil?
Original post by Spelly456
They've been in the UK education system haven't they? Who else would you put in charge, a pupil?

:rofl:

No, not a pupil. However, they attended school when O-Levels were being sat. It's completely different now. None of them have experience working in a school or teaching.

Don't attack my views with rude and aggressive comments. Thank you.
:rofl:

No, not a pupil. However, they attended school when O-Levels were being sat. It's completely different now. None of them have experience working in a school or teaching.

Don't attack my views with rude and aggressive comments. Thank you.

Don't be so sensitive. But genuinely, which other type of person would you propose?
Don't be so sensitive. But genuinely, which other type of person would you propose?

I'll be as sensitive as I wish. Well, obviously someone who has actually had some experience in teaching or something similar. They just sit at a desk and make up no rules and propose new ideas without any regard for the affect jot has on the pupils in the UK purely because they assume it will work. Teachers and Students alike are angry with a lot of the unnecessary new reforms. Some are okay like the whole linear thing for GCSE but taking out January exams and coursework for some subjects is to the disadvantage of the pupils.
I'll be as sensitive as I wish. Well, obviously someone who has actually had some experience in teaching or something similar. They just sit at a desk and make up no rules and propose new ideas without any regard for the affect jot has on the pupils in the UK purely because they assume it will work. Teachers and Students alike are angry with a lot of the unnecessary new reforms. Some are okay like the whole linear thing for GCSE but taking out January exams and coursework for some subjects is to the disadvantage of the pupils.

It is a political position and I would doubt many people in the education sector become politicans.

Coursework is meaningless and January exams are not normal in the history of UK education system.
Why do you assume that doing badly= coming from a poor background and also doing well= coming from a rich background? Have you considered a poor person succeeding and rising up to the top through exam success?

This approach means less people get top marks and so genuinely good pupils do well, rich or poor, universities will be able to distinguish the good from the bad.

Under labour's equality system everyone does well so everyone stays poor and no one can make it to the top. Equality does not equal fair, look at the Soviet Union. They were all poor, but all equal so it's okay!
It could be english propaganda I guess but I only mentioned them because I recently learnt it in history and I remember a picture of a family selling a relative's head for money in the USSR ( slightly off topic). Anyway, what I'm really trying to say is that under the current system the good pupils, rich or poor, will stand out with higher grades rather than many people all with high grades. This promotes success through hard work and gives a more equal chance of success as anyone can be hard working.

I'd say it's actually a good thing if you're at the more talented end. Takes out some of the borderline people and restores a bit of value to the top grades- in my day (2007) they handed A*'s like sweets so any toughening up should make those A*'s awarded seem a bit more valuable.
As someone with a Polish parent: that is total total bs. Unless your mother was one of the rich "inner circle" so was just oblivious to how ordinary people lived, she's either lying to you or totally deluded.
If that were true, why did communism come to an end? The ruling classes in Moscow had a nice life you're right, but the farmers out in the sticks... Not so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jenkinsear
I'd say it's actually a good thing if you're at the more talented end. Takes out some of the borderline people and restores a bit of value to the top grades- in my day (2007) they handed A*'s like sweets so any toughening up should make those A*'s awarded seem a bit more valuable.

It quite possibly will motivate borderline A* and A pupils in years to come as they will know the exams are toughening up. It would mean a definite improved education standard. HOWEVER I know it's no consolation for pupils who have been hit with the changes so abruptly this summer.
Original post by MrSupernova
If that were true, why did communism come to an end? The ruling classes in Moscow had a nice life you're right, but the farmers out in the sticks... Not so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But remember all the farmers were equal! That must be a positive thing...
Original post by TaciturnPhantom
Yes, I heard about that from my teachers when I was still at school. It's very frustrating and worrying to know. But if GCSE grades are predicted to fall, perhaps the grade boundaries will lower too.

That makes no sense... Assuming the exams are of comparable difficulty, grades falling will mean that grade boundaries must have increased

Original post by German123
LOL- GCSE grades are expected to fall every year due to the fact that exams are getting tougher every year.

Even though there's been grade inflation almost every year since GCSE's were introduced?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It quite possibly will motivate borderline A* and A pupils in years to come as they will know the exams are toughening up. It would mean a definite improved education standard. HOWEVER I know it's no consolation for pupils who have been hit with the changes so abruptly this summer.

It is consolation for those who get excellent grades as at least they'll know their efforts aren't devalued year by year by rampant grade inflation.

Plus there is also a lesson here for those who do worse than they feel they would have, which is in life aiming to do the bare minimum to achieve x outcome is a bad approach. At university I met quite a few people who always aimed to just about manage a 2.1, putting in the minimum effort they thought necessary. Yet for quite a few of them it backfired and they are now borderline unemployable. Trust me it's better to learn that lesson at GCSE where they don't matter hugely than later down the line.
It is a political position and I would doubt many people in the education sector become politicans.

Coursework is meaningless and January exams are not normal in the history of UK education system.

I would argue that Coursework is not at all meaningless and who cares about "the history of the UK education system"?! It's about what is best for the UK students in that system.
Original post by jenkinsear
It is consolation for those who get excellent grades as at least they'll know their efforts aren't devalued year by year by rampant grade inflation.

Plus there is also a lesson here for those who do worse than they feel they would have, which is in life aiming to do the bare minimum to achieve x outcome is a bad approach. At university I met quite a few people who always aimed to just about manage a 2.1, putting in the minimum effort they thought necessary. Yet for quite a few of them it backfired and they are now borderline unemployable. Trust me it's better to learn that lesson at GCSE where they don't matter hugely than later down the line.

110% agree with what you've said. I know lots of people at my school working out what they needed for a scraped A*... I'm not sure if these changes will affect the IGCSES which have very little coursework and are taken at the end of Year 11/10.
I can believe your second-hand narrative, or I can trust the many accounts of people saying how bad it was. You dodged my question - if "life was good", why did the Soviet Union collapse?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I would argue that Coursework is not at all meaningless and who cares about "the history of the UK education system"?! It's about what is best for the UK students in that system.

June exams only are best preferrably with no coursework. Only then can you truly determine which pupils can learn and retain information for a sustained period of time and can perform under stressful situations.

Quick Reply

Latest