The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anonymous
oh and also:

A review published in the medical journal Pediatrics[5] found that the concentration of cancer-causing and addictive substances in water-pipes may be equal to those found in cigarettes, with the heat involved being sufficient to generate carcinogenic nitrosamines, and the smoldering charcoal adding some carcinogenic hydrocarbons as well as heavy metals to the smoke. Similarly, a study in the November 2005 issue of the Journal of Periodontology[6] found that the impact of water pipe smoking is largely the same magnitude as that of cigarette smoking. Ironically, use of the hookah may increase the smoker's toxic exposure, in that studies have shown that the typical hookah smoker spends more time per episode of smoking than do other smokers, presumably because the smoke is less immediately harsh or irritating. Thomas Eissenberg, a psychology professor at Virginia Commonwealth University co-authored a hookah study which found that a session of hookah smoking which lasts about 45 minutes, delivers 36 times more tar, 15 times more carbon monoxide and 70% more nicotine than a single cigarette ( although it is important to note that a single cigarette will last no more than 5 minutes , which makes approximatively 9 cigarettes in order to compare to the 45 minutes hookah session ). A study in the Journal of Periodontology found that hookah smokers were five times more likely than non-smokers to have signs of gum disease

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hookah#Style_and_health

Worth thinking about. You can probably find articles from more credible sources if you can think its worth a google.

dudes we're talking about shesha not hookah. Hokah's different - its completely made of tabaco but shesha isnt..... so of course hookah is bad for you.
Reply 41
Da Mouse
dudes we're talking about shesha not hookah. Hokah's different - its completely made of tabaco but shesha isnt..... so of course hookah is bad for you.

Hookah is the pipe shisha is smoked though...
Reply 42
right... I'm gonna start googling. But if shisha is that bad then shouldnt it be banned already? Its smoking in a public place.
Da Mouse
right... I'm gonna start googling. But if shisha is that bad then shouldnt it be banned already? Its smoking in a public place.

probably because its still a very recent thing and isnt as popular as ordinary smoking.
Reply 45
i think people will make there own minds up about it. I think Sheesha is not too bad but my mama hates it and gets real annoyed whenever i do do it.

CHECK THE SIG! :toofunny:
Reply 46
Weird and wonderful - LMAO
Anonymous use1 - why are you anonymous there's nothing to hide?
Fluffy - Why the hell didnt I go there in the first place?!?!?!... I recieve newsletters from docters guide (i think they work with pubmed) and I didnt even think about searching there! :p:
Reply 47
yawn
Reply 48
honestly who gives a ****, having a smoke from time to time isn't gonna do anything.
Reply 49
Sheesha is bad for your health. Period.

Latest

Trending

Trending