The Student Room Group

Any female coders/ aspiring coders here?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CJKay
An interesting (and relevant) link for you that just popped up on my LinkedIn feed: https://www.linkedin.com/today/post/article/20140807215537-21570578-the-most-innovative-employees-at-google-aren-t-stanford-grads-with-perfect-sats?trk=tod-home-art-list-large_0

Edit: in fact it looks like somebody just got an interview with Google solely through demonstrating an interest!

How is it relevant? It's a nice article and I'm glad Google are moving in that direction! If I was going to get a job anywhere, I would rather it be because of who I am/my capabilities rather than the percentage scores on my degree modules/university I went to :smile:
out of 140 odd class mates there were <16 girls now in 4th year with like 80 odd class mates there's maybe about 10? I'm at JP Morgan on an internship and there's a clear lack of females maybe sitting at around 15% females.. It is sad, need to promote coding to girls within high school and remove the nerd stigma of it.
Reply 62
Haven't been on TSR in a couple of months and this thread really blew up :biggrin:

More women in the IT industry is definitely going to be a good thing. Men and women think differently and so I firmly believe there's plenty of potential for women to come into the industry and develop things which men have never thought of before.

Men don't know what women need / want in terms of applications and/or products. If you only think about what men want when designing a new application / product then you're potentially missing out on a lot of potential downloads / sales from female users.
Proper late to joining this one.

I'm a 17 year old female and at the minute I study computing, IT, maths, further maths, business and general studies at A-level. I can code in HTML, CSS, Java and PHP and enjoy my fair share of web development.

My aspiration is to become a game developer. It'll be interesting, definitely not a female-based industry, but it makes it exciting :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
There shouldn't be any need to compare "Men Vs. Women" in this industry. It's open to all. I know a good few female developers, and I've seen many speak professionally. I think it's already at the point where it's a very mixed industry. I don't think there are a lack of women, I think there's more of a lack of interest from women in general. My girlfriend thinks you need to be Einstein to be able to code. She once asked me to explain map and reduce to her and thought I was some God for even knowing this stuff ... but in reality it isn't that hard. My 7 year old can make games in Scratch.

We should do more to promote this fascinating industry. For women, men and children from all walks of life. I hate calling it an industry, because it sounds like programming is all based around profit. I hate it when money and programming mix. It spoils the art, and the passion. I'd urge anyone who isn't already doing so to get involved in Open Source projects. You learn more, and make more friends and contacts, than you ever would in the workplace ... and you're contributing to society as a whole.

I'm an old timer, been doing this far to long.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending