The Student Room Group

A Question About Oxford

I've been encouraged to go for Oxford, but I'm worried that I'm gonna get a B in AS Further Maths come results day...I screwed FP1 for some reason.

Will this ruin my chances completely, please?

Thanks

BBD14

Scroll to see replies

yes
Reply 2
Oxford is better than Cambridge, but you don't really want to go to Oxford.

Don't set your hopes on Oxbridge, they're not what they're cracked up to be, seriously. Never get hung up on them, check out other universities. There are so many other universities which are "better" not academically, but for everything else. Satisfaction, Staff to Student Ratios, all of it.

Also, getting a B in further isn't the worst thing in the world, so long as your other subjects are fine!
Reply 3
Original post by CheGuava

Don't set your hopes on Oxbridge, they're not what they're cracked up to be, seriously. Never get hung up on them, check out other universities. There are so many other universities which are "better" not academically, but for everything else. Satisfaction, Staff to Student Ratios, all of it.

Also, getting a B in further isn't the worst thing in the world, so long as your other subjects are fine!

Bit critical?

Anyway, just see what happens on results day and go from there. Mate email a college/admissions people if you get a b! Best of luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Audi
Bit critical?

Anyway, just see what happens on results day and go from there. Mate email a college/admissions people if you get a b! Best of luck

It's somewhat fair though, lot's of people Romanticise this idea of Oxford/Cambridge but they aren't worth it. The interviewers are often incredibly rude and other applicants arrogant to start with.

There are comparable northern universities which are less prone to snobbery. Also, Oxford and Cambridge have a horrendous obsession with foreign students and such, notable for sometimes being at the expense of other students studying at the university.
Reply 5
Alright, thanks for the replies!
Reply 6
It's somewhat fair though, lot's of people Romanticise this idea of Oxford/Cambridge but they aren't worth it. The interviewers are often incredibly rude and other applicants arrogant to start with.

There are comparable northern universities which are less prone to snobbery. Also, Oxford and Cambridge have a horrendous obsession with foreign students and such, notable for sometimes being at the expense of other students studying at the university.

Ha.

Have you personally studied at either Oxford or Cambridge? Who are you to say they aren't "worth it".

The statement about the interviewers being rude is absolute toss OP, please ignore his post. They are wonderful univerities to aspire too, so yes, I'd wait 'till results day before thinking about. If it's not as you hope, I'd get in touch with the uni, where they'll explain the situation that you're in.

I was at a summer school at Oxford last month. One thing the told us is that they really don't give a damn about AS results, rather, it's more about you're predicted A2 grades that they base decisions on, so I wouldn't worry at all tbh
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Memetics
Ha.

Have you personally studied at either Oxford or Cambridge? Who are you to say they aren't "worth it".

The statement about the interviewers being rude is absolute toss OP, please ignore his post. They are wonderful univerities to aspire too, so yes, I'd wait 'till results day before thinking about. If it's not as you hope, I'd get in touch with the uni, where they'll explain the situation that you're in.

I was at a summer school at Oxford last month. One thing the told us is that they really don't give a damn about AS results, rather, it's more about you're predicted A2 grades that they base decisions on, so I wouldn't worry at all tbh

Not forgetting their admissions tests too. There's probably a larger weighting on them than AS results.
Reply 8
Thanks a lot Memetics!
Original post by BBD14
I've been encouraged to go for Oxford, but I'm worried that I'm gonna get a B in AS Further Maths come results day...I screwed FP1 for some reason.

Will this ruin my chances completely, please?

Thanks

BBD14

Are you planning on reading maths?
Reply 10
Original post by Kool_Panda
Are you planning on reading maths?

Nope, medicine!

I also do Physics & Chemistry
Original post by Memetics
Ha.

I can only speak anecdotally in this response about Oxford but what I can say about their interview process was quite frankly, from a professional point, disgraceful. Absolutely horrendous.

A headteacher to me recounted the time a student phone him crying, because the interviewers had been so cruel to the kid. They had feigned sleeping and snoring noises in response to one of her questions. They then told her, thanks, she was free to go home.

So she books a train back to Wolverhampton, gets on it, and then, lo and behold, once on the train she received a message about how they wanted to see her again and return to the interview room. Suffice to say, she told them to **** off and left.

Others have said they were discriminated on accent. People from where I am have a fairly thick accent, which can be strange to people who haven't heard it before, but not to the point where it isn't understandable. However they've had interviewers tell them to speak clearer, or more "Appropriately" essentially asking them to a fake a posh accent, rather than be themselves.

As I say, this is anecdotal, and may not fully reflect all of the interviewers at Oxford, and I mean it in no way to disrespect them. I can only speak from vicarious experiences and trustworthy accounts.
Original post by BBD14
Nope, medicine!

Medicine is hard to get into anywhere, let alone Oxbridge!
Best of luck and even if you do only(!) get a B in F. Maths I'd still advise you to apply there.
It's always worth a shot in my opinion and you would regret not trying later on in your life.
:smile:
As someone who has gone through the interview process and received an offer, all I can say about the interviewers is that they showed me nothing but respect. A lot of the posters in this forum are recounting anecdotal evidence which serves as a vicious game of Chinese whispers which often originates from bitter Oxbridge rejects.

With regards to student satisfaction and student staff ratios, my course has a student satisfaction rating of 97% which is unparalleled in the country, and which other universities, outside of Oxbridge, offer 1 on 1 tuition with world leaders in academia?? This notion that other universities are "better" is undermined by every league table which takes into account student satisfaction, student staff ratios and graduate prospects... Clearly some of the posters in this forum are ill informed.

P.S I got an offer with AABC at AS so your B won't be an issue; the entrance exams, interviews and predicted A2 grades carry more weight, don't worry!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by colourtheory
As someone who has gone through the interview process and received an offer, all I can say about the interviewers is that they showed me nothing but respect. A lot of the posters in this forum are recounting anecdotal evidence which serves as a vicious game of Chinese whispers which often originates from bitter Oxbridge rejects.

With regards to student satisfaction and student staff ratios, my course has a student satisfaction rating of 97% which is unparalleled in the country, and which other universities, outside of Oxbridge, offer 1 on 1 tuition with world leaders in academia?? This notion that other universities are "better" is undermined by every league table which takes into account student satisfaction, student staff ratios and graduate prospects... Clearly some of the posters in this forum are ill informed.

P.S I got an offer with AABC at AS so your B won't be an issue; the entrance exams, interviews and predicted A2 grades carry more weight, don't worry!

You got an offer with AABC at AS? That's amazing.

What were you applying for?
- Did they care about your gcses etc
Original post by BBD14
Nope, medicine!

Medicine is very tough so it will be difficult, what are your GCSE grades like?
Reply 16
Original post by james22
Medicine is very tough so it will be difficult, what are your GCSE grades like?

8 A*s & 2 A's :smile:
Reply 17
Thanks for all the replies & reassurance...much appreciated!

Why is Oxford better than Cambridge? Cambridge is above Oxford in the UK and international rankings.
Original post by Pectorac
Why is Oxford better than Cambridge? Cambridge is above Oxford in the UK and international rankings.

League rankings really aren't anything compared to the social benefits of Oxford over Cambridge. I'm not talking about the partying scene, I'm mentioning, Quality of Life, Chance of Employment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending