The Student Room Group

A Question About Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CheGuava
League rankings really aren't anything compared to the social benefits of Oxford over Cambridge. I'm not talking about the partying scene, I'm mentioning, Quality of Life, Chance of Employment.

Give some examples?
I can only speak anecdotally in this response about Oxford but what I can say about their interview process was quite frankly, from a professional point, disgraceful. Absolutely horrendous.

A headteacher to me recounted the time a student phone him crying, because the interviewers had been so cruel to the kid. They had feigned sleeping and snoring noises in response to one of her questions. They then told her, thanks, she was free to go home.

So she books a train back to Wolverhampton, gets on it, and then, lo and behold, once on the train she received a message about how they wanted to see her again and return to the interview room. Suffice to say, she told them to **** off and left.

Others have said they were discriminated on accent. People from where I am have a fairly thick accent, which can be strange to people who haven't heard it before, but not to the point where it isn't understandable. However they've had interviewers tell them to speak clearer, or more "Appropriately" essentially asking them to a fake a posh accent, rather than be themselves.

As I say, this is anecdotal, and may not fully reflect all of the interviewers at Oxford, and I mean it in no way to disrespect them. I can only speak from vicarious experiences and trustworthy accounts.

This does not at all reflect them, but why would you ever construct you're opinion of the interviews based wholly upon anecdotal evidence which you yourself seem to be suspicious of.

It really doesn't matter, just please never discourage someone from applying based upon a personal vendetta.

And OP, with regards to bias towards internationals, you don't need to worry cause medecine has alimit of international students they must stick to each year, while the tutors interviews wouldn't be biased as it dosen't have any affect to them personally whether you're international or not because the money goes to the uni, not the college.
Original post by Acidy
You got an offer with AABC at AS? That's amazing.

What were you applying for?
- Did they care about your gcses etc

History :smile: and yes, they care about GCSE grades but as I say, there are many facets to a student's application so a single B is not going to ruin your chances! Incidentally, the college which I applied to had the highest number of applications per place of any college. Obviously there were applicants with far superior GCSE and A Level portfolios to me who we're rejected; they want someone who can hold a vigorous discussion and not just someone who looks good on paper !
Original post by Pectorac
Why is Oxford better than Cambridge? Cambridge is above Oxford in the UK and international rankings.

This is vastly dependent upon they applicant's choice of course; Art History, for example, at Oxford is ranked #1 while Cambridge is ranked at #5. Let's not make any sweeping generalizations!
Original post by colourtheory
This is vastly dependent upon they applicant's choice of course; Art History, for example, at Oxford is ranked #1 while Cambridge is ranked at #5. Let's not make any sweeping generalizations!

For law, which would be better?
Reply 25
While we're here, I'd be interested to know what the interviews are like for medicine at Oxford please...if anyone has experience haha.
Reply 26
It's somewhat fair though, lot's of people Romanticise this idea of Oxford/Cambridge but they aren't worth it. The interviewers are often incredibly rude and other applicants arrogant to start with.

There are comparable northern universities which are less prone to snobbery. Also, Oxford and Cambridge have a horrendous obsession with foreign students and such, notable for sometimes being at the expense of other students studying at the university.

Well pretty much every university is obsessed with foreign students, they pay for more than us!
Original post by Pectorac
For law, which would be better?

I'm not sure - you'd have to use the Ultimate University Guide or the Guardian league tables to be sure :smile: The courses are also VERY different - that I do know!
The interviewers are often incredibly rude and other applicants arrogant to start with.

Stories such as those you are quoting are honestly very unusual. I wouldn't say it never happens, but frankly some people who get rejections are always going to say how the process was stressful/traumatic/how it didn't reflect their true ability... and then some go further. That's expected. And then those that do have a bad experience tend to tell everyone about it. The vast majority find it ok and keep quiet about it - some even find the multi-day process fun.

There are comparable northern universities which are less prone to snobbery. Also, Oxford and Cambridge have a horrendous obsession with foreign students and such, notable for sometimes being at the expense of other students studying at the university.

I really don't know what you mean by this. Oxford and Cambridge take very few internationals compared to other top unis, and the competition ratio for internationals is much tougher. This is especially true of the OP's subject, medicine - last year 303 internationals applied - just 3 were given offers. The year before that it was 270 to 1.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BBD14
While we're here, I'd be interested to know what the interviews are like for medicine at Oxford please...if anyone has experience haha.

For medicine its a combination of science questions and ethics questions, sometimes split into different interviews. You're also interviewed at two colleges, so 4+ interviews is the norm.

The science questions will build on your knowledge from your studies - chemistry, biology, physics. They frequently take a medical slant, though clearly they don't expect you to have knowledge of medicine itself. I had questions about the cell cycle, chromosomes, clotting cascade, deriving equations defining blood flow, calculating concentrations, thermoregulation, evolution. One I was given a picture of something down a microscope and told to describe the tissues seen. I was also given a couple of abstract questions for which oxford has a reputation - namely this one http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx1.htm (its very famous so I'll share).

The main point of questions is to find something that you have no idea about, then encouraging you to use what you do know to work out the possible answers. It can be very conceptual. Its about seeing how you think, not how much you know.

This is very contrasting to medicine interviews at other universities.
I can only speak anecdotally in this response about Oxford but what I can say about their interview process was quite frankly, from a professional point, disgraceful. Absolutely horrendous.

As I say, this is anecdotal, and may not fully reflect all of the interviewers at Oxford, and I mean it in no way to disrespect them. I can only speak from vicarious experiences and trustworthy accounts.

I would never put somebody off applying for Oxbridge - thousands of students a year after all go to Oxford and leave satisfied and well educated. However I do have a similar anecdotal experience of the interview process. They made a derogatory remark about the northern mill town I am from which I found to be wholly unprofessional.

As someone who has gone through the interview process and received an offer, all I can say about the interviewers is that they showed me nothing but respect. A lot of the posters in this forum are recounting anecdotal evidence which serves as a vicious game of Chinese whispers which often originates from bitter Oxbridge rejects.

I don't think anybody who recounts an anecdotal experience is saying that that is the experience of every single person. I'm sure there are many highly professional Oxbridge interviewers. But I did not get one. As for being a 'bitter reject', I have never believed my interviewer was responsible for me not getting in. I just didn't have a wide enough range of extra-curricular interests and wasn't able to talk about my subject analytically enough. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to go to an Oxbridge interview expecting a professional interviewer who can keep their opinions on your home town to themselves.

I don't think people who spread these tales are attacking Oxbridge personally - it's just that few other university courses actually require an interview. Therefore a lot of university interview 'horror stories' will likely concern Oxbridge. But I'm sure if all universities interviewed as standard, there would be some bad interviewers at all of them.
Reply 31
Original post by nexttime
For medicine its a combination of science questions and ethics questions, sometimes split into different interviews. You're also interviewed at two colleges, so 4+ interviews is the norm.

The science questions will build on your knowledge from your studies - chemistry, biology, physics. They frequently take a medical slant, though clearly they don't expect you to have knowledge of medicine itself. I had questions about the cell cycle, chromosomes, clotting cascade, deriving equations defining blood flow, calculating concentrations, thermoregulation, evolution. One I was given a picture of something down a microscope and told to describe the tissues seen. I was also given a couple of abstract questions for which oxford has a reputation - namely this one http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy99/phy99xx1.htm (its very famous so I'll share).

The main point of questions is to find something that you have no idea about, then encouraging you to use what you do know to work out the possible answers. It can be very conceptual. Its about seeing how you think, not how much you know.

This is very contrasting to medicine interviews at other universities.

Thanks a lot! I didn't do bio last year, but my teacher has suggested doing an AS next year...would you recommend please?

Also, did they test you on material you weren't necessarily taught in school...that you'd taught yourself in your own time?
It's somewhat fair though, lot's of people Romanticise this idea of Oxford/Cambridge but they aren't worth it. The interviewers are often incredibly rude and other applicants arrogant to start with.

Hmmmm, sounds like you got brutally rejected by Oxbridge
Original post by moutonfou
I would never put somebody off applying for Oxbridge - thousands of students a year after all go to Oxford and leave satisfied and well educated. However I do have a similar anecdotal experience of the interview process. They made a derogatory remark about the northern mill town I am from which I found to be wholly unprofessional.

I don't think anybody who recounts an anecdotal experience is saying that that is the experience of every single person. I'm sure there are many highly professional Oxbridge interviewers. But I did not get one. As for being a 'bitter reject', I have never believed my interviewer was responsible for me not getting in. I just didn't have a wide enough range of extra-curricular interests and wasn't able to talk about my subject analytically enough. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to go to an Oxbridge interview expecting a professional interviewer who can keep their opinions on your home town to themselves.

I don't think people who spread these tales are attacking Oxbridge personally - it's just that few other university courses actually require an interview. Therefore a lot of university interview 'horror stories' will likely concern Oxbridge. But I'm sure if all universities interviewed as standard, there would be some bad interviewers at all of them.

The fact that Oxbridge requires an interview sets the universities apart as being highly selective; this naturally attracts rumors concerning discrimination and snobbery which in the vast majority of cases just isn't true. Indeed more often than not interviews are carried out by two members of faculty which is designed to reduce bias etc. I just get annoyed by the negative stereotypes which surrounds the universities; age and prestige have been equated with outdated conservative values and institutional snobbery and bigotry. In fact it seems that it is every other week that Oxford and Cambridge are being accused of being racist and biased against state school students.
Original post by BBD14
Thanks a lot! I didn't do bio last year, but my teacher has suggested doing an AS next year...would you recommend please?

Also, did they test you on material you weren't necessarily taught in school...that you'd taught yourself in your own time?

The key guidance on biology is here. They say:

"N.B. Despite the fact that most applicants offering A-levels tend to take Biology (or Human Biology), this subject is NOT required at A2 level (or indeed at AS-level). However, do be aware that not having A-level Biology is associated with a greater risk of having difficulty at the early stages of the course (and other medical courses)."

So I would try to pick up the AS. That may also leave you eligible to apply toa few extra medicine courses at other universities.

The questions can stem from school work, something in your personal statement, or something else. They rapidly move onto things you haven't seen before though - that's the idea.
Reply 35
Original post by nexttime
The key guidance on biology is here. They say:

"N.B. Despite the fact that most applicants offering A-levels tend to take Biology (or Human Biology), this subject is NOT required at A2 level (or indeed at AS-level). However, do be aware that not having A-level Biology is associated with a greater risk of having difficulty at the early stages of the course (and other medical courses)."

So I would try to pick up the AS. That may also leave you eligible to apply toa few extra medicine courses at other universities.

The questions can stem from school work, something in your personal statement, or something else. They rapidly move onto things you haven't seen before though - that's the idea.

Thanks a lot!
Original post by Zenomorph
Hmmmm, sounds like you got brutally rejected by Oxbridge

I didn't apply, I didn't give them the time of day.
In fact it seems that it is every other week that Oxford and Cambridge are being accused of being racist and biased against state school students.

I know what you mean.

I went to quite a disadvantaged northern school. I easily had the grades and academic ability needed for Cambridge (where I applied), however the interview was where it fell down for me. They started asking me who my favourite artist was. I wasn't even applying for art. My town isn't the kind of town where you have a 'favourite artist' - I just drew a complete blank! Same with many of the other questions. Nobody at my school had told me to prepare for these types of questions.

My point being that Oxbridge (for arts courses at least) expect you to be culturally well-rounded, with a broad knowledge of art, literature, culture, etc. Which is a perfectly valid expectation given the demands of their courses, but state school students don't get the same level of cultural exposure - I had been reading French Harry Potter as preparation for my French degree, not Camus or Duras, and I couldn't even afford to go to France - so if Oxbridge do truly want to take more people from disadvantaged backgrounds, they really need to work together with these schools to address the issue that state school students aren't getting the level of cultural exposure they need to be successful at the interview.

In short: there are some barriers to getting into Oxford from a disadvantaged/state school background, but it's not the fault of 'snobby interviewers'. It's a whole range of factors.
Reply 38
The fact that Oxbridge requires an interview sets the universities apart as being highly selective; this naturally attracts rumors concerning discrimination and snobbery which in the vast majority of cases just isn't true. Indeed more often than not interviews are carried out by two members of faculty which is designed to reduce bias etc. I just get annoyed by the negative stereotypes which surrounds the universities; age and prestige have been equated with outdated conservative values and institutional snobbery and bigotry. In fact it seems that it is every other week that Oxford and Cambridge are being accused of being racist and biased against state school students.

Yes, mostly by uninformed idiots who should be looking beyond basic admission statistics.
Reply 39

If you have no idea what you're talking about, you should avoid posting anything on the topic. It's decent advice to take you through life, but it's also a good way to avoid looking like a moron.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending