The Student Room Group

Whats the best type of contraception

Hiya Girls need some advice. I'm 16 and I'm not on anything like the pill or the implant etc. Now I have a boyfriend were at that stage where we are gonna take it to the next level. I know to wear protection still but should i go on the pill or the implant etc. Could some of you please tell me what your on and what may be the best for me.

Thanks Girls in advance
Reply 1
It depends a lot on you and your lifestyle. I'll try to cover the benefits and disadvantages of different things briefly:

Pill:
- must remember to take daily, same time of day
- won't be given if you are significantly overweight, may also affect your weight regardless of what it is currently
- may affect your mood as it's hormonal
- will be affected by things like antibiotics
- can be used back to back to skip/change periods if you want to avoid one when on holiday etc.
- non-invasive
(there are lots of types of pill available and some points might not apply to all)

Implant:
- hurts when put in (bit more than injection) and when replaced/removed
- "gross" to have something you can feel under your skin
- may affect your cycle (good: remove periods entirely, bad: potential for constant bleeding/unexpected periods)
- only needs to be replaced after 3 years, no need to remember anything on daily basis
- less affected by medicines than the pill

Coil:
- "very" invasive procedure, but not really that different to a smear I guess
- may affect your cycle (can make periods lighter or significantly heavier)
- can get stuck/moved and cause bleeding or other problems
- only needs to be replaced (I think) every 10 years, no need to remember things
- non-hormonal

Personally I use the implant, I'm on my second one having had it replaced before I went to Germany, and I absolutely rate it! I was intrigued by the procedure and watched them do it, but if you're squeamish you can take a friend/mum and just not look - it doesn't take too long. I've had maybe 4 bleeds since I had my first one, plus a lot of spotting towards the end of the first one's life, and I've not had any mood swings (I used to get them quite badly).
But I know people who have used the other methods and loved them, or hated them, and people who've used the implant and hated it. It may well be a question of what you think is most suitable to try first (I found my sister reacted to the implant exactly the same as me, so maybe close family members will give you an idea of whether there might be issues) and see how it goes. You might need to muddle around to find something that works properly for what you want.
Original post by Anonymous
Hiya Girls need some advice. I'm 16 and I'm not on anything like the pill or the implant etc. Now I have a boyfriend were at that stage where we are gonna take it to the next level. I know to wear protection still but should i go on the pill or the implant etc. Could some of you please tell me what your on and what may be the best for me.

Thanks Girls in advance

i had the injection a month ago and no problems so far :biggrin: lasts 12 weeks. im planning to get the implant next which uses the same hormone and lasts for 3 years. i think a long term solution is best so you dont have to worry for a while :biggrin:
Reply 3
It depends on your lifestyle and preferences you might find this tool helpful: http://www.brook.org.uk/contraception/my-contraception-tool I suggest you speak to a nurse at your local Brook or Family Planning clinic to discuss options (far more helpful than GPs in my personal experience). I have a copper coil, which has been fine for me (I've never been on anything else so can't comment). Different women react to contraception in different ways so if something doesn't work for a friend doesn't mean it won't suit you and viceversa; I know women who tried the implant and hated it and others who think its great.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck.
(edited 9 years ago)
I tried the Pill and it gave me really severe migraines and the Dr.'s were worried it would cause blood clots because of how I reacted. I now have the implant and I bled every day for 9 months.. I stuck it out and it seems to have settled down now. I think you just need to try the ones you feel most comfortable with and see how your body reacts.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest