The Student Room Group

Does anyone else not use Facebook?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
A lot of my 'friends' on there don't use it these days, so I don't think it's that unusual to not use it any more. It is useful to have an account even if you don't use it that much though, just for the messenger, events and sharing photos with relatives, I find.
For me, I'd always use it to contact friends especially when I couldn't contact them any other way. If I had to ask someone something but they weren't answering, I'd send them a message on FB too just in case they see it first. It's also useful for seeing other peoples picture, so it's definitely more about the sharing than the pictures.

Like someone said above it is definitely getting a bit old though and because it keeps getting updated, it gets really annoying to use. I tend to just use the messenger app so I can communicate with people without having to see selfies and weird statuses on my wall:P
Reply 22
Original post by Emememily733
Wow who needs enemies when he has friends like that..
Couldn't these friends just text him the plans..
If nothing else, by not having fb he found out who his true friends were.
I love life without fb (:

Agreed! I still have exactly the same amount of friends as I did when I had facebook, I just don't interact with them over it. The rest of the people on my list I just don't speak to, which is exactly the same as when I didn't have fb!
Yup, I deleted it over a year ago, might make an account for uni but I'll only be adding a select few people! :wink:

I found the negativity too much, people always starting drama, acting about eight rather than eighteen! It just made me feel bad about myself, it felt like a massive platform for showing off, rather than a way to keep in contact with friends.

I don't regret it. I feel sorry for people who say they couldn't function without it.
Reply 24
Original post by soph1293
Yup, I deleted it over a year ago, might make an account for uni but I'll only be adding a select few people! :wink:

I found the negativity too much, people always starting drama, acting about eight rather than eighteen! It just made me feel bad about myself, it felt like a massive platform for showing off, rather than a way to keep in contact with friends.

I don't regret it. I feel sorry for people who say they couldn't function without it.

Same here. To be honest, when I first quit, I found it ridiculously hard. I guess it's the same as giving anything else up. You get withdrawal symptoms of sorts. But after a few weeks it becomes normal and you realise how much better off you are without Facebook. Things are far less complicated and you're generally, much happier.
Original post by Michael!
Totally agree. When people meet me and ask for my fb, they act like I come from another planet when I say that I don't use it. Some probably assume that I'm a social reject whereas in reality I'm the complete opposite. I have exactly the same amount of true friends as I did when I used fb and have a massive catch up session when I meet them.

Speaking to people in person and over the phone is far more personal than talking to a screen imo.

It's also a good way of rejecting someone. They say they'll add you on facebook and you can just turn around and say 'Sorry! Don't have it!'.

It's not a necessary thing, it's a choice and the sooner people learn that the better. I'm sick of explaining myself and I really don't see why I should at all. At times it's felt as stupid a convo as; "I don't eat lobster.." "YOU DON'T EAT LOBSTER.. WHY NOT? OMGOD?" .."Uh.. Idk,, the look of it has never really been appetising to me.." like, if I don't want to eat lobster , I'm not gonna eat lobster, I really don't want to explain my reasons for it to every single new person -.-. Sorry, I think I'm still half-asleep but you get my point.
Life's simpler. It's like, I know who my friends are, I know who I want to see, they're on my phone. If I need them, I can reach them. Anything beyond that is unneccesary.
Anyway it's nice speaking to someone in the same boat.. sometimes I feel like I became a new species and to just have someone "get it", ugh, bliss. x)
Reply 26
Original post by Emememily733
It's not a necessary thing, it's a choice and the sooner people learn that the better. I'm sick of explaining myself and I really don't see why I should at all. At times it's felt as stupid a convo as; "I don't eat lobster.." "YOU DON'T EAT LOBSTER.. WHY NOT? OMGOD?" .."Uh.. Idk,, the look of it has never really been appetising to me.." like, if I don't want to eat lobster , I'm not gonna eat lobster, I really don't want to explain my reasons for it to every single new person -.-. Sorry, I think I'm still half-asleep but you get my point.
Life's simpler. It's like, I know who my friends are, I know who I want to see, they're on my phone. If I need them, I can reach them. Anything beyond that is unneccesary.
Anyway it's nice speaking to someone in the same boat.. sometimes I feel like I became a new species and to just have someone "get it", ugh, bliss. x)

Ha. You seem cool. Do you wanna add me on Facebook?

tehe.
I've never had it and don't think I ever will.
I deactivated ~4years ago, didn't find much use for it other than to procrastinate.

I agree, I prefer to call/text/go out with friends rather than visiting their online page to see what they're up to.

Though I have felt tempted to reactivate, I would only do so if I blocked my wall and only allowed chat/PM's.
Me. I never got the hype of it. I joined it and i didnt like it. This was in 2011

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Michael!
Ha. You seem cool. Do you wanna add me on Facebook?

tehe.

LOL. For a split second I thought you were being serious then x)

hahha omg you're the one who tried to hijack my thread the other day and told me onesies were so last year
(edited 9 years ago)
I have Facebook mainly because my family are scattered across the world so it's easier for all of us to communicate on messenger rather than phone calls. Also nice to catch up with old friends on there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue

If 90% of your Facebook 'friends' are not really friends, prehaps the problem lies more with yourself than the website?

That can be true for some people, I agree, but if someone has a 1000+ people on there, you don't want to tell us that it's possible to be actual friends with all these guys, do you?

Though of course, it's useful for organising events and the such, just because everyone has it.
Reply 33
Original post by karmacrunch
I don't! :five:

Sometimes I feel tempted to get it because a lot of my friends use it more than their phones (for texting etc.) I've survived 4/5years without it though (a lot of friends got it in Year 5/6 :erm:).
The only reason in which I would ever get it... is probably to chat with others who aren't near me at all e.g. friends further away from me or in different countries. <- then again I could just call them or use Skype.

Agreed, I don't friend requests from 45+ year old either. :yep:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yea, my cat has facebook to speak to one friend in the US! Has about 8 people on it total!
I think it's a fantastic tool to reconnect with your old friends and see what they're up to. You can organise events, share photos etc. Although I do not go on it as much as I used to, I still use it as a way of communicating with other people such as if you need to tell something to someone but you two are not close enough to get each other's numbers. But I do agree that most of your facebook friends are acquaintances.
Reply 35
I stopped using Facebook when I finished year 11, I think it just got a bit old so I moved on to twitter and I rarely even look at my Facebook anymore
yea i had 5000 "friends"

so what?! :biggrin:
IMo it's too hipster atm to be removing yourself from facebook. you're only doing mit because all your annoying hipster friends are also doing it.

I find the people removing themselves from facebook accepted a load of people that weren't their friends so obviously they don't care. I normally have around 100 people on mine and they are friends.

Also, the people that remove their facebook to stop employers looking at it. What you should do is just not publically talk about the illegal things you do on facebook in the first place, and set your privacy settings correctly.

Oh and the people that set their name to "First name Middle name" for "anonymity" piss me off. Same argument as above. Don't post stupid crap and /or don't post it publically. (I hear teachers are supposed to do this so fine but none of the people i am talking about were trying to be teachers)
I think it's exactly like what one poster above said--it's a tool, like any other piece of social media. So like a hammer, to draw the metaphor out--yeah you can use it to hang up a picture on the wall, but you can also make yourself miserable by hammering your finger by accident.

For sure people have the problem of too many friends being added when they're not really interested in their lives & said people are petty/annoying on it, but that's something you yourself inflicted because you can always unfriend; most people don't notice. If they confront you about irl you can always just say "oh, I've been wanting to wean myself off of social media" or something like that. It's not FB's problem you have crappy feeds/friends added.

If you ask me FB is perfect in that most people nowadays don't use it 24/7, they just pop in whenever to add something significant, catch up on other's lives, etc. then leave quietly and usually others understand that enough that it doesn't get made into a huge deal. Unlike twitter/instagram where you have a constant stream of consciousness...idgaf about the sandwich you just ate.

I use it sporadically to do networking, chat with friends from around the world, see what other's are doing with their lives. I don't know why others treat the idea of loose acquaintanceship with such vitriol--you don't always have to have bosom friends to chat with about the deep ideas of the universe by a camp fire. It's fun to check into people's lives and see what their lives are like from time to time. Builds empathy, if you ask me.
Reply 39
Not anymore nope :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending