The Student Room Group

Weight/Mass Gain Milkshakes: Side Effects?

I have started using a weight-gain protein shake which i take once per day.
I use this because i regularly go to the gym.

I was just wondering whether or not there are any undesired side effects in using mass gain protein shakes?

I am using a product called Pro-Mass made by company called Chemical Nutrition.

I was speaking to someone who told me when he took a weight gaining milkshake a side effect was acne.

Does anyone know whether or not this protein shake has any bad side effects?
Or any side effects in using protein/mass gaining shakes generally?

Many many thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First can I ask, what is your diet like?
Reply 2
No real strict diet. Breakfast lunch and dinner, i do not over-eat as in eat like 6 meals a day, i often have poor apetite, as in cannot handle more than 3 main meals a day.

brekafast usually cereals, lunch and dinner diet consits of bread, fish, chicken, ham, potatoes (including chips), pasta, vegetables but id say not every day, fruit most days, take 1 viteman tablet once a day, x2 cod liver oil tablets once a day..umm limited junk food maybe once a week max, snacks such as crisps chocolate but not often.

i dont have a strict diet because im not very serious about muscle gaining, i just heard it will put on a bit of weight which turns to muscle. because if i keep going gym without increased eating my body will just keep getting more toned rather than looking a bit bigger.
Reply 3
Okay first let me tell you:

Supplements are to supplement. Nothing else. So just make sure you are getting enough food. You should make sure you're getting enough protein in the form of lean meat, fish, eggs. High carbs for breakfast, no carbs at night but lots of protein at night.

As for this weight gainer you are using; a lot are a waste of money and filled with crap (sugars). To be honest, I suggest you make your own weight gainer out of REAL food so you know what you're getting. Try this out:

150ml skimmed milk
200ml water
40g peanut butter
30g whey
20g oats
Half banana

It will be cheaper, and you know what you're necking. There's about 45g protein in that and 550 cals.
Reply 4
lapsaJ
Okay first let me tell you:

Supplements are to supplement. Nothing else. So just make sure you are getting enough food. You should make sure you're getting enough protein in the form of lean meat, fish, eggs. High carbs for breakfast, no carbs at night but lots of protein at night.

As for this weight gainer you are using; a lot are a waste of money and filled with crap (sugars). To be honest, I suggest you make your own weight gainer out of REAL food so you know what you're getting. Try this out:

150ml skimmed milk
200ml water
40g peanut butter
30g whey
20g oats
Half banana

It will be cheaper, and you know what you're necking. There's about 45g protein in that and 550 cals.

We have a muscletalk fan here :biggrin:
But seriously, heed lapsaJ's advice... the above shake is better than most 'Mass gainers' you will find on the market in my opinion.
Reply 5
redluc
We have a muscletalk fan here :biggrin:
But seriously, heed lapsaJ's advice... the above shake is better than most 'Mass gainers' you will find on the market in my opinion.

:wink: :five:
thirded (not that you need it).

Remember that any shake you take straight after a gym session should be low in fat and higher in protein&carbs than a regular one.
Reply 7
Anonymous
thirded (not that you need it).

Remember that any shake you take straight after a gym session should be low in fat and higher in protein&carbs than a regular one.

I'd say that your PW Shake is probably the most important 'meal/intake' of the day. I say meal but it isn't really a meal at all. I usually have a recovery shake which is about 400 cals and 28g protein. And with that I usually have a piece of fruit and an oat bar. Then about a hour later a meal (high in protein) like chicken breasts n veg.
Reply 8
Screw the branded muscle/weight gain stuff, as previously said, make your own. www.myprotein.co.uk has a customiser you can use, and they're well priced as well. I've been using a 2:1 ratio of carbs (oats) to protein (whey) which seems to be working quite nicely. If you're bulking you will gain some fat as it's pretty inevitable, you can just cut it off afterwards if you're really that fussed. It's only a supplement though, not a replacement for proper food. Eat clean, lift heavy, sleep well, and you will gain.
I'm using whey protein just now, but not gaining much. I'm just using the whey to keep my protein intake high and trying to eat loads of everything else for energy. These shakes sound good, though. Do you just put it all in a blender? And the oats blend well?
Reply 10
Yep, I stick it in a jug, whack in a load of milk, and electric whisk it. Doing it by hand doesn't seem to mix it that well. Even blending it you still get a few lumps, and it doesn't exactly taste fabulous, but then it's not meant to. If you're not gaining weight you need to increase your calorie intake until you are, experiment a bit to see what works. If anyone's interested in ordering stuff off MyProtein, PM me and I'll give you a code that gets you a discount off your first order. However, just to re-emphasise, you need to have a decent diet sorted before adding in supplements, otherwise you're just wasting your money.
if i am use craetine will i get swole
Cheer up
However, just to re-emphasise, you need to have a decent diet sorted before adding in supplements, otherwise you're just wasting your money.

What do you mean by a decent diet? If you're getting enough calories and protein in (using supplements or otherwise), will you not gain mass regardless of the rest of your diet?
Reply 13
LOL LOL , yes I heard your willy goes small taking protein shakes.

Also it makes you have roid rage!!!!!

:rolleyes:
Oh you guys make me chuckle. Anon 1, you say you go the gym but ask such questions. I would hate to see your choice in exercises.
Reply 14
e-unit
What do you mean by a decent diet? If you're getting enough calories and protein in (using supplements or otherwise), will you not gain mass regardless of the rest of your diet?

Effectively, if you habitually eat processed rubbish, Maccy Ds, snack on crisps, biscuits, etc, that is not a decent diet. You want to be eating alot, yes, but alot of CLEAN foods; fresh fish, chicken breast, etc. Oats are a nice sourse of complex carbs. Make sure you get your veggies in as well, you're Mum's right about that whole five a day thing. Need a snack? Fresh fruit, cashew nuts, etc. You want to focus on building lean muscle, and naturally some fat will be put on as well as I said before. Eat crap, and you will just put on a load of fat, with little muscle, so you've got nowhere. Make sure you've got a proper programme at your gym as well composed of mainly compound lifts - deadlifts, squats, military press, weighted dips and pull ups, rows, etc and all will be well. I'd just like to point out that bodybuilding isn't my thing, I like to train for functional strength that directly benefits my MA training, I couldn't really give a monkey about looking pretty or whether my abs line up properly.
Reply 15
I can eat around 3 big macs a day and not put on weight.

No joke.
you will however be rotting your digestive system, mmmm macdonalds
Reply 17
Sithius
I can eat around 3 big macs a day and not put on weight.

No joke.

You make me laugh Sithy :smile:
Reply 18
Also, you can use MyProtein but I suggest you buy it seperately so you don't get charged for blending. I suggest you just just buy unbranded whey and ultra fine scottish oats. These oats are grinded down to a powder so don't worry about it being lumpy.

Also if you want a further discount (more than 5% standard discount), PM me. I've helped out 6 people so far on TSR to get this further discount, all happy bodybuilders now :smile:
Reply 19
Cheers for the advice lappy :P

Latest

Trending

Trending