The Student Room Group

Suggestions Required!! Maths or Medicine

I'm new to TSR (hey guys!) and I wanted some help on deciding what path I should pursue in the coming years.

I've just finished GCSE's, awaiting results!
For AS I've chosen Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths & Economics. I'm pretty sure with hard work I'll be able to get an A* in Maths, and hopefully an A*/A in Further Maths.

I absolutely adore maths, it's by far my favourite subject in school, but I also like chemistry and the whole idea of studying medicine, it's been a desire for years.

If I go ahead with maths, I'd like to do something like MORSE (Warwick), Actuarial Science (LSE), or just Mathematics and go on to be an actuary or investment banker (££££).

Obviously, if I choose medicine I'd want to be a doctor, I'll probably decide which kind later. I like the idea of helping people, as I think of myself as a person who does that at the moment anyway.

I know I've limited myself to choice (for medicine) by not choosing biology, but would that be a HUGE issue when applying for unis?

I know these two are totally different careers, so thanks for the help! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AssassinXJ
I'm new to TSR (hey guys!) and I wanted some help on deciding what path I should pursue in the coming years.

For AS I've chosen Chemistry, Physics, Maths, Further Maths & Economics. I'm pretty sure with hard work I'll be able to get an A* in Maths, and hopefully an A*/A in Further Maths.

I absolutely adore maths, it's by far my favourite subject in school, but I also like chemistry and the whole idea of studying medicine, it's been a desire for years.

If I go ahead with maths, I'd like to do something like MORSE (Warwick), Actuarial Science (LSE), or just Mathematics and go on to be an actuary or investment banker (££££).

Obviously, if I choose medicine I'd want to be a doctor, I'll probably decide which kind later. I like the idea of helping people, as I think of myself as a person who does that at the moment anyway.

I know I've limited myself to choice (for medicine) by not choosing biology, but would that be a HUGE issue when applying for unis?

Heya, just giving this a little bump in the hopes someone will see and reply.
Not doing biology will severely limit your choices if you decide to apply for medicine. Have you considered swapping economics for biology? Honestly though you seem a lot more passionate about maths than medicine so I would advise you to go for that. If you aren't 100% committed to medicine there isn't much point applying as you have to do so much outside of school - work experience, volunteering, extra reading and up to 2 aptitude tests (UKCAT and BMAT).
Reply 3

I'd say drop Further Maths and Economics. A lot of universities don't accept Further Maths and Maths as two different A Levels. Additionally, five AS Levels is going to be very difficult!

If you ended up wanting to do Medicine at university and still wanted to take Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A Level, you'll need to take Biology to at least AS Level and come out with an A. It's not impossible without Biology, but will more difficult for a subject which is already extremely competitive. If you decide to do Maths at university, Maths, Physics and Chemistry should get you in.
I wouldn't recommend five AS levels, since it doesn't give a major advantage and it might hold you back from getting higher grades.
From reading your post, I think maths would be a better choice, as most people applying for medicine will be very passionate about it and you don't seem that enthusiastic.
If you do decide on a maths related degree at one of the unis you mentioned, I'd definitely recommend sticking with further maths. I found that, despite good grades, not doing fm limited my choices quite a bit when it came to higher unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you want £££ then go for maths. If you're good enough you'll be a millionaire. But if you're a good doctor you won't be a millionaire until you're 40+

If you are going to do medicine at university, then you NEED the mindset of WANTING to do medicine, learn the content an train for 5+ years. Medicine is quite demanding, but in a digesting lots of information kinda way. Whereas mathematics requires you to think a bit more in a abstract way, understanding and proving, why this particular mathematical principle works rather than answering a bunch of questions of finding x or y. I would say that you should swap economics for biology if you are still not sure, as most universities find further maths favourable. Do some work experience for medicine see what it's like up close, thats what I did and helped me realise that medicine is not for me.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by lilixxx1000
Not doing biology will severely limit your choices if you decide to apply for medicine. Have you considered swapping economics for biology? Honestly though you seem a lot more passionate about maths than medicine so I would advise you to go for that. If you aren't 100% committed to medicine there isn't much point applying as you have to do so much outside of school - work experience, volunteering, extra reading and up to 2 aptitude tests (UKCAT and BMAT).

I think you're right in, I'm a lot more passionate about maths, and I'm sure I'd enjoy studying it a lot more, and obviously none of the extra work outside of school!!

Original post by Revel
I'd say drop Further Maths and Economics. A lot of universities don't accept Further Maths and Maths as two different A Levels. Additionally, five AS Levels is going to be very difficult!

If you ended up wanting to do Medicine at university and still wanted to take Maths, Physics and Chemistry at A Level, you'll need to take Biology to at least AS Level and come out with an A. It's not impossible without Biology, but will more difficult for a subject which is already extremely competitive. If you decide to do Maths at university, Maths, Physics and Chemistry should get you in.

The only reason I wouldn't want to drop Further Maths and Economics is because I think those subjects I could do well in, like I'm most confident about Maths, Further Maths and Economics!

Original post by bluebeetle
I wouldn't recommend five AS levels, since it doesn't give a major advantage and it might hold you back from getting higher grades.
From reading your post, I think maths would be a better choice, as most people applying for medicine will be very passionate about it and you don't seem that enthusiastic.
If you do decide on a maths related degree at one of the unis you mentioned, I'd definitely recommend sticking with further maths. I found that, despite good grades, not doing fm limited my choices quite a bit when it came to higher unis.
Posted from TSR Mobile

The general trend I'm seeing is that I should go for maths (and I think I've always been edged that way), but then I wouldn't really know which subject to drop to make it 4 AS Levels since the subjects I've taken, I want to do them all!! Haha

Original post by ZeroSuitJawa
If you are going to do medicine at university, then you NEED the mindset of WANTING to do medicine, learn the content an train for 5+ years. Medicine is quite demanding, but in a digesting lots of information kinda way. Whereas mathematics requires you to think a bit more in a abstract way, understanding and proving, why this particular mathematical principle works rather than answering a bunch of questions of finding x or y. I would say that you should swap economics for biology if you are still not sure, as most universities find further maths favourable. Do some work experience for medicine see what it's like up close, thats what I did and helped me realise that medicine is not for me.

I've thought about the whole work experience idea, and I think it'll help a lot.
Reply 8
I'm pretty sure I would go for a maths related degree, so for that would the subjects I've chosen be good? Or would they be too strenuous, so I should drop one before I start?

Also, even though I'd want to do something maths related (for a career) I wouldn't know exactly what to aim for, like which job, so I was wondering if there were any suggestions about? Thanks again :biggrin:
Original post by Mike_123
If you want £££ then go for maths. If you're good enough you'll be a millionaire. But if you're a good doctor you won't be a millionaire until you're 40+

Good god

Posted from TSR Mobile

****test advice ever :lol:
I'm pretty sure I would go for a maths related degree, so for that would the subjects I've chosen be good? Or would they be too strenuous, so I should drop one before I start?

For doing maths at uni, you should really be doing maths and further maths A levels. It won't particularly matter what other A levels you'll be doing. If you think you can do 5 AS's go for it, it's a lot of work but it's definitely possible to get good grades in all 5 if you're bright and hard-working enough. But remember A levels are a lot harder than GCSE's and doing an extra AS won't help you that much getting into university.
Reply 12
Original post by jonzza_81
For doing maths at uni, you should really be doing maths and further maths A levels. It won't particularly matter what other A levels you'll be doing. If you think you can do 5 AS's go for it, it's a lot of work but it's definitely possible to get good grades in all 5 if you're bright and hard-working enough. But remember A levels are a lot harder than GCSE's and doing an extra AS won't help you that much getting into university.

You're probably right, and I've heard from careers advisors that I shouldn't do five because even universities like Cambridge don't expect 5 AS and 4 A2 Levels. Considering the gulf of difficulty between the two qualifications, I'd probably want to do 4, but the problem is I like all 5! I wouldn't know what to drop! Would it be okay if I tried them all for a couple of weeks then drop one?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
You're probably right, and I've heard from careers advisors that I shouldn't do five because even universities like Cambridge don't expect 5 AS and 4 A2 Levels. Considering the gulf of difficulty between the two qualifications, I'd probably want to do 4, but the problem is I like all 5! I wouldn't know what to drop! Would it be okay if I tried them all for a couple of weeks then drop one?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, that's what I did (although I didn't end up dropping any). For someone with the kind of mathematical ability needed to do maths at a decent university, doing both Maths and Further Math does not really equal the workload of two A-Levels.

That sounds like a good idea, you'd have to ask your sixth form if you could do that, they will probably say yes.
I know someone who took 6 AS levels at the start of the year with the intention of dropping 1 or 2, but in the end decided he liked all 6 and didn't drop any, it was only half way through the year that any of the staff realised he was still doing 6.
Reply 15
Original post by Noble.
Yes, that's what I did (although I didn't end up dropping any). For someone with the kind of mathematical ability needed to do maths at a decent university, doing both Maths and Further Math does not really equal the workload of two A-Levels.

Original post by jonzza_81
That sounds like a good idea, you'd have to ask your sixth form if you could do that, they will probably say yes.
I know someone who took 6 AS levels at the start of the year with the intention of dropping 1 or 2, but in the end decided he liked all 6 and didn't drop any, it was only half way through the year that any of the staff realised he was still doing 6.

I actually just remembered the sixth form I want to go to, needs me to take 5 AS Levels (even though some of my friends are only taking 4).

If Maths and Further Maths isn't equivelant to the workload of two AS Levels I think I'll be fine (otherwise I'd just have to work even harder, no big deal). For me, maths has never really be "work" its something I love doing, and I could do it all day long, so I think taking five including Maths and Further Maths should be okay :smile:
Reply 16
I'm still unsure about which maths related career I could pursue!

Posted from TSR Mobile
If no secret that the best mathmos go into finance and dominate quantitative roles. Your best doctor is poor in comparison.

Money isn't the deciding factor for a career, and certainly not for medicine. People don't try and become doctors for money, dentistry is more suitable for that mentality :colone:
I'm still unsure about which maths related career I could pursue!

Your school or sixth form may well have a careers advisor, or at the very least some careers advice software, to help you out. I suggest you tell your tutor or some other member of staff that you would like some careers advice.
Original post by h3isenberg
Money isn't the deciding factor for a career, and certainly not for medicine. People don't try and become doctors for money, dentistry is more suitable for that mentality :colone:

Did you actually read the OP?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending