The Student Room Group

Not understanding the retake malarky - oh why do I not know these things?!

Hey all,

Two things, lovely TSR people.

1. I will most likely be retaking 2 modules - the GS maths/science (if I get four more marks I'll get an A) and English Lit poetry and drama. So, on my UCAS form which I wills end of in October,do I put 'grade pending' or the grade I already have at AS level? Do I need to/should I write somehwere that I am retaking so they know I am being proactive?

2. Unis like Manchester dnt like retakes - does this mean if you retook you are automatically not considered or do they just look at your original results?

Thanks all, eat something delicious for breakfast xxxx
Reply 1
i dont know much about manchester policy someone else will help you out there. Now the thing is why the hell do you want to reatake gs lol. Ok you're four marks of an a but its a pointless subject.

you can put pending on your ucas as long as you decline your grade in that particular subject.
Reply 2
FizzPopSpan
Hey all,

Two things, lovely TSR people.

1. I will most likely be retaking 2 modules - the GS maths/science (if I get four more marks I'll get an A) and English Lit poetry and drama. So, on my UCAS form which I wills end of in October,do I put 'grade pending' or the grade I already have at AS level? Do I need to/should I write somehwere that I am retaking so they know I am being proactive?

2. Unis like Manchester dnt like retakes - does this mean if you retook you are automatically not considered or do they just look at your original results?

Thanks all, eat something delicious for breakfast xxxx

1. Are your results cashed in? i.e. on your Statement of results you were given your overall AS grade plus your overall mark for each subject. If so then you will have to put your current AS grade on your UCAS form unless you decline the grade. If your results aren't cashed in or are declined, then you can put them as 'pending'. The deadline for declining grades is something like the 20th of september so contact your exams officer if you want to. You don't really need to tell them that you are retaking, not many people do that I think. In your reference, get your teachers to write down any great module results.

2. Not sure about manchester but I'm sure that they are not strict. Universities don't know that you are retaking unless you tell them so it's best not to tell them that you are. They don't see your UMS just only the grades and the highest grade out of the original mark and the retake is taken into consideration by the exam board.

Hope this helps:smile:
Reply 3
Lykabelle
1. Are your results cashed in? i.e. on your Statement of results you were given your overall AS grade plus your overall mark for each subject. If so then you will have to put your current AS grade on your UCAS form unless you decline the grade. If your results aren't cashed in or are declined, then you can put them as 'pending'. The deadline for declining grades is something like the 20th of september so contact your exams officer if you want to. You don't really need to tell them that you are retaking, not many people do that I think. In your reference, get your teachers to write down any great module results.

2. Not sure about manchester but I'm sure that they are not strict. Universities don't know that you are retaking unless you tell them so it's best not to tell them that you are. They don't see your UMS just only the grades and the highest grade out of the original mark and the retake is taken into consideration by the exam board.

Hope this helps:smile:

just out of interest,say if they are cahsed in but u decline them does that mean you put pending on ucas?
Reply 4
morgo
just out of interest,say if they are cahsed in but u decline them does that mean you put pending on ucas?

yes.:smile:
I think when they say they don't like retake students, they just mean they don't want applicants to have spent more than 2 years doing A-levels. Resitting AS modules alongside A2 is fine, almost everyone does that, and as Lykabelle said, they don't find out anyway.

Latest