The Student Room Group

I'm not sure what to do :/ Advice needed please?

Hey everyone I'm looking for some advice. I'm 21, will be 22 in October and I'm unsure whether to apply for uni this September

i know I've left it late but I think I want to go for it. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years which led me to leave school without finishing my A2 levels.

I've got 120 ucas points and got 3A*, 6A, 2B at GCSE. I've found some foundation degree courses that I might be able to get onto and have made a few enquiries

My main worries are that I'll find it hard to fit in with younger students and will be a bit of an outcast.

Anybody have any thoughts on what they think I should do?

Thanks,

Chris

Scroll to see replies

You haven't left it late, you would be surprised how many people your age and older will be heading off to university for the first time. There is no harm in applying, you don't have to go. Good luck.
The 18/19 year olds won't even notice that you are older than them, and there will be plenty of people your age (and much older too). It really won't be an issue at all.
Reply 3
Dont worry about age as age is not an issue atall! Ill be 27 when i go in sept and i feel old ha but i have alot of friends from my access course going to Uni who are in their 30's. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If your going to a big uni it wont matter
Small unis tend to be full of local students with existing friendship groups
Reply 5
You'll be fine. I started Uni when I was 22, when I did my first degree and now I'm going back to Uni again at the age of 28, married with two children, I had the best time ever at Uni and can't wait to do it all again, you'll be fine.
I wish I was 21. I'm sure 35 year olds wish they were 28 like me.
Reply 7
I will be 34 and starting uni in September... 21 is not too old (and neither is 34) !
Reply 8
Thanks for your replies guys you've given me confidence that I'm not quite passed it yet haha. I've made a few enquiries and will be applying to some unis in the next couple of days. Hoping that I get an offer from Salford Uni. Fingers crossed
Original post by Chrism92
Thanks for your replies guys you've given me confidence that I'm not quite passed it yet haha. I've made a few enquiries and will be applying to some unis in the next couple of days. Hoping that I get an offer from Salford Uni. Fingers crossed

Is there a particular reason you want to go to Salford Uni? If you think your qualifications might limit your options then you might wanna consider doing an access course. It's only 1 year so you'd be starting the same time you would if you chose not to do it anyway.

Your age is pretty much a non-factor in uni :smile:

Good Luck,

let us know how it goes.:smile:
Reply 11
Hey everyone I'm looking for some advice. I'm 21, will be 22 in October and I'm unsure whether to apply for uni this September

i know I've left it late but I think I want to go for it. I've struggled with depression and anxiety for years which led me to leave school without finishing my A2 levels.

I've got 120 ucas points and got 3A*, 6A, 2B at GCSE. I've found some foundation degree courses that I might be able to get onto and have made a few enquiries

My main worries are that I'll find it hard to fit in with younger students and will be a bit of an outcast.

Thanks,

Chris

Omg, your situation is almost identical to mine!
You're never too old for uni! I did an Access to HE Course, and I was one of the youngest there!
I'm now going to study Psychology and Criminology at Salford uni this September :biggrin: if it what you want to do, do it! **** what the 18 year olds think, they'll be more worried than you anyway cos they probably haven't had as much life experience yet :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks,

Chris

I thought that too. There will be other people who have taken a few gap years. Plus there will be loads of people to meet age isn't important. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
i am a mature student starting in September woohoo :smile: Invest in yourself and if going to uni is what you want then the only thing that's holding you back is you!
Reply 14

Thanks,

Chris

I am 22 this year too and I am really looking forward to uni. They will not be bothered about your age, go for it!! Honestly, don't let anything hold you back. :smile:

Thanks,

Chris

do it! you are not alone! I'm also your age and I'm kind of not sure what I'm doing :smile:
I'm from germany and have a german abitur which is the equivalent of english a levels. the thing is my abitur grade isn't that good for some universities in the uk ( and i do want to study in the UK :smile: ) therefore i applied for an access to higher education course in humanities which starts in one month. I'm still not sure how to apply for universities this autumn and how difficult the course will be...

so believe me , you are not alone out there :smile:
where do you want to study?
Reply 16
Hey guys, thanks for all your replies :smile:
i ended up getting 3 offers and have decided to go for the Exercise, Health & Fitness course at Manchester college, validated by salford uni
im staying in student accommodation and there's people here going to manchester college as well.
im not bothered about the age thing now, I've realised its no big deal
excited and nervous!
Glad you went for it, have an awesome time!

I teach on a Foundation course as a freelancer and I cannot tell apart the 18yos from the 21yos. You get people who are mature for their age and those who aren't. The first time I went to uni, I had worked for a gap year with people aged late twenties through 60s and supported myself, so I had a really hard time adjusting to being around teenagers again, despite only being 20 myself. They didn't care less that I'd had a gap yr, was older, etc but our attitudes clashed in the classroom, but then again it would have been the same without the gap year, I actually wanted to learn something and not just party was the problem! I feel much more confident about going to uni as a really mature student now (34) because I am even more driven by my desire to learn than ever and this time I know better than to let other people bring me down over it, in some ways I think it benefits us to have taken time out because we gain more determination and a better understanding of ourselves in that time. I also get on really well with all my FD students, regardless of age gap and I'm hoping that will continue at uni.
Hey guys, thanks for all your replies :smile:
i ended up getting 3 offers and have decided to go for the Exercise, Health & Fitness course at Manchester college, validated by salford uni
im staying in student accommodation and there's people here going to manchester college as well.
im not bothered about the age thing now, I've realised its no big deal
excited and nervous!

Hi Chris,

Well done on getting a place at uni.

Although I was 18 when I started university as a student, I did move in to halls again when I was 24 to start working as a member of staff at another uni. I had asked if I could be with people who were a bit older, so my flat mates were mostly postgrad or mature students. They were all a friendly bunch, and I'm still in touch with them now after 8 years! The only downside for me was the occasional late night parties during the week on the floor above... and having to get up at 7.30am to go to work! lol. I'm sure you will be fine. I was also a bit worried about moving in mid-term, as everyone would already be settled and knew one another - but it wasn't a problem, and quickly made friends. It helped having a shared kitchen and living space.

What accommodation are you staying in?

Ross
Reply 19
Original post by SalfordRep_Ross
Hi Chris,

Well done on getting a place at uni.

Although I was 18 when I started university as a student, I did move in to halls again when I was 24 to start working as a member of staff at another uni. I had asked if I could be with people who were a bit older, so my flat mates were mostly postgrad or mature students. They were all a friendly bunch, and I'm still in touch with them now after 8 years! The only downside for me was the occasional late night parties during the week on the floor above... and having to get up at 7.30am to go to work! lol. I'm sure you will be fine. I was also a bit worried about moving in mid-term, as everyone would already be settled and knew one another - but it wasn't a problem, and quickly made friends. It helped having a shared kitchen and living space.

What accommodation are you staying in?

Ross

hey thanks for replying. what you said has reassured me somewhat.
im staying at salford riverside. its really cool accomodation. i moved in on monday but have been struggling a bit. theres 2 more people moving in yet so when everyones in it should be better

Quick Reply