The Student Room Group

How to write a personal statement for an MA?

//
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
I think I'd go with answering the following questions, which are pretty standard considerations for a postgrad application:

- Why this course?
- Why this uni?
- Why me?

You need to make a convincing case as to why you're the right person to be on the course. If you don't have any practical experience in the subject, maybe outline what got you interested in it, why you now want to learn about it formally, what you've read about it and maybe why you've enjoyed a particular book or paper.
Original post by somethingbeautiful
(Taught MA in Information Management/Librarianship)

I know this seems like a massively broad question, but is it basically the same set of principles as for an undergrad PS? Does it have to center around the subject that you are applying for?

I've never studied the subject before and I have no practical experience in it (neither of which matters according to the uni website). So I'm finding it difficult to even start the PS - do I basically talk about what I've done since undergrad and talk about transferable skills?

Many Thanks.

Not exactly. At postgraduate level you need to name the university and say why that university and why that department as well as why that course and what you can offer.

At the bottom of this page Durham University have 3 example postgraduate personal statements:
https://www.dur.ac.uk/careers/s/pgstudy/app/
Original post by jelly1000
...]

Original post by Klix88

Thank you :smile:
If you like I can PM you copies I have of mine and a couple other people to give you an idea...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending