The Student Room Group

Summer Placements

I have a few questions for those who have been through the process.

1) The whole process is obviously competitive but is it extremely competitive? For example, would my chances of applying at Rolls Royce be drastically lower than at a no-name engineering firm?

2) Do companies ever take on people in having only done one or two years of study i.e. first and second years.

3) Do I need experience at smaller companies before I apply for a summer placement at a larger one?

Thanks
Reply 1
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou

1) The whole process is obviously competitive but is it extremely competitive? For example, would my chances of applying at Rolls Royce be drastically lower than at a no-name engineering firm?

2) Do companies ever take on people in having only done one or two years of study i.e. first and second years.

3) Do I need experience at smaller companies before I apply for a summer placement at a larger one?

Thanks

1. I would think so, people up and down the country will apply to big companies for summer placements. Whereas smaller companies get lower numbers, and usually people would apply to local small companies so the number of applicants is even lower. The benefit of those big companies is that is where many people want to end up after they graduate rather than the small company
2.most big companies ask you to be in your penultimate year (so 2 years) but there are companies that will take you on after just one year, Siemens for example.
3. No you don't, but it would make your cv look better if you did have that

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks

1) Possibly, but it's not healthy to think like this. Ignore the numbers, and put in the best application you can.

2) Yes, but usually if it as an established summer placement scheme then they're really looking for penultimate year students.

3) No.
Original post by ElChapo

Original post by Smack

Thanks for the useful responses. Could I ask what you did in each of your summers?
Thanks for the useful responses. Could I ask what you did in each of your summers?

Worked your average part-time student job interspaced with a bit of boredom.

Then, towards the end of my degree I got summer placements/internships/whatever you want to call them.
Reply 5

I just finished my first year, couldn't find any professional placements so I've just been working a menial laundry job this summer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest