The Student Room Group

Most a*s at a level

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ExMus
Nice! Hope you get in! Good luck :smile:

Ahhhh, where shall I start? My school was supposed allocate us to work experience placements - specific to the field we want to study at uni - to help us with our PS but it was a total flop and the whole scheme was in a shambles such that they gave most of us year 10 placements instead! :angry: It was a promise as well; they "guaranteed" we will have placements specific to what we want to do in uni! For this reason, I didn't apply to any through June/July and now I feel it is too late to apply - one physics lab said I was a few days too late in my application :/ Idk if I should start applying now, idk where to apply though.

Hey, if you want some info on physics competitions/ summer schools (you're a bit late for most/ all of them now though :frown: )/ taster days etc. have a look at my website - link's on my profile :smile: Things coming up include the National Science and Engineering Competition (deadline end of October), AstroCamp (a long weekend in September, and some lectures at Imperial College London - they would all help your personal statement :smile: You can also visit places like the Science Museum in London (or a local one), the National Space Centre (Leicester? Leeds? Somewhere else starting with an L...?), etc.
Other things you could think about are volunteering to help younger students at physics lunchtime workshops/ homework clubs/ classes if your school will allow that :smile:

Most universities know how hard it is for students to get work experience without any contacts within companies - so there is definitely no requirement to have any! I know quite a few people at Oxbridge who never did any work experience before they applied.

If you are still keen to get some experience, perhaps try contacting your local university's Physics department - some of them don't mind a student shadowing someone just for a couple of days :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Hey, if you want some info on physics competitions/ summer schools (you're a bit late for most/ all of them now though :frown: )/ taster days etc. have a look at my website - link's on my profile :smile: Things coming up include the National Science and Engineering Competition (deadline end of October), AstroCamp (a long weekend in September, and some lectures at Imperial College London - they would all help your personal statement :smile: You can also visit places like the Science Museum in London (or a local one), the National Space Centre (Leicester? Leeds? Somewhere else starting with an L...?), etc.
Other things you could think about are volunteering to help younger students at physics lunchtime workshops/ homework clubs/ classes if your school will allow that :smile:

Most universities know how hard it is for students to get work experience without any contacts within companies - so there is definitely no requirement to have any! I know quite a few people at Oxbridge who never did any work experience before they applied.

If you are still keen to get some experience, perhaps try contacting your local university's Physics department - some of them don't mind a student shadowing someone just for a couple of days :smile:

Thank you very much. This is really helpful. I'm looking into the National Science and Engineering Challenge. It seems really interesting :smile:
Original post by ExMus
Thank you very much. This is really helpful. I'm looking into the National Science and Engineering Challenge. It seems really interesting :smile:

No problem :smile: The website's looking rather empty at the moment, exam term didn't help :frown: Definitely look into the competition - it's pretty competitive but would be great to take part in, and even if you don't win a prize just doing a project/ writing an essay etc. is worth mentioning as something you have done to further your knowledge of physics outside of lessons :smile: Depending on what you do, your entry could also qualify you for a Crest Award which would be great to put in your personal statement (google British Science Association Crest Awards for info - you preferably need to sign up for the programme before starting your entry since applying for the award retrospectively is a bit of a pain to do) :smile:
Original post by dragonkeeper999
No problem :smile: The website's looking rather empty at the moment, exam term didn't help :frown: Definitely look into the competition - it's pretty competitive but would be great to take part in, and even if you don't win a prize just doing a project/ writing an essay etc. is worth mentioning as something you have done to further your knowledge of physics outside of lessons :smile: Depending on what you do, your entry could also qualify you for a Crest Award which would be great to put in your personal statement (google British Science Association Crest Awards for info - you preferably need to sign up for the programme before starting your entry since applying for the award retrospectively is a bit of a pain to do) :smile:

Oh. I'm looking into that right now. I'll email a CREST coordinator soon to find out more. Thanks a lot!
Original post by ExMus
Oh. I'm looking into that right now. I'll email a CREST coordinator soon to find out more. Thanks a lot!

No problemmo - good luck! :smile:
Reply 45
Reply 46
Original post by FITZ3030

14a* isn't that unusual for tsr
:tongue:
Reply 47
How do I start a conversation on the student room via an IPad

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 48
Do you mean PM. Just write you message normally and we'll quote you when we reply
Reply 49
How do I write a message

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 50
Original post by FITZ3030
How do I write a message

Posted from TSR Mobile
go on the profile of the person you want to message and they'll have a box that write a message.just use that.:redface:
Original post by ExMus
One of my maths teachers got 9 A*s in A Level, most close to 100%!

Bloody hell. I've only just about managed AS with 4 subjects and there's people with 9 A*s. And the worst thing is that I don't even know how well/bad I've done yet. I wish I was a genius like these people :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest