The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
(just under 10 students applied last year to Downing and a large proportion received offers)

would that be about 9?
Reply 21
Yannis
would that be about 9?

umm, 7/8, can't remember exactly :tongue:

As for my school (year of 110) - over 50 applied and around 30 received offers (mostly at Cambridge).
Lucy
As for my school (year of 110) - over 50 applied and around 30 received offers (mostly at Cambridge).

Over 50 people applied to Oxford or Cambridge out of 110 students?!?!? That's a crazy proportion!!!
We had 5 Oxbridge applications out of a year of about 200 and one of those only applied because her Dad went to Cambridge and encouraged her, even though she didn't really care for it. Our school is a comprehensive, but it is one of the better ones. Lucy, are you at an independant school?
Reply 24
Yeah, the students at my school are quite 'oxbridge obsessed' as it were, even those who aren't particularly keen/not necessarily up to it feel pressurised to apply. Especially as a large proportion of the students have parents who have been to oxbridge and they are even worse. A few of them complained to the school after the offers came out: "How come XYZ who is so shy and quiet got in but my daughter didn't?" and "Having been in this school for X years and going on plenty of courses, you STILL couldn't get my daughter into Cambridge?!" :rolleyes: And yes, we are an independent school.
Lucy
Yeah, the students at my school are quite 'oxbridge obsessed' as it were, even those who aren't particularly keen/not necessarily up to it feel pressurised to apply. Especially as a large proportion of the students have parents who have been to oxbridge and they are even worse. A few of them complained to the school after the offers came out: "How come XYZ who is so shy and quiet got in but my daughter didn't?" and "Having been in this school for X years and going on plenty of courses, you STILL couldn't get my daughter into Cambridge?!" :rolleyes: And yes, we are an independent school.

Jeez, I am soooo glad I didn't have to deal with any of that crap in my college. I would hate to feel pressurised to apply anywhere.
Reply 26
hildabeast
Jeez, I am soooo glad I didn't have to deal with any of that crap in my college. I would hate to feel pressurised to apply anywhere.

Yeah, ditto - and I went to an independent school! Yuk, pushy parents are a pain in the arse.
Reply 27
Helenia
Yeah, ditto - and I went to an independent school! Yuk, pushy parents are a pain in the arse.

I'm at quite a prestigious public school, and the amount of pressure some parents put on is deeply unhealthy. People asking questions about how many GCSE's are required for Oxbridge in a year 9 parents evening have become so routine the teachers now have prepared answers for it...
I didn't even here the word Oxford or Cambridge mentioned until half way through lower sixth! And that was only a case of "you might want to have a look at these places" I can't believe it's so different!
Reply 29
house badger
I didn't even here the word Oxford or Cambridge mentioned until half way through lower sixth! And that was only a case of "you might want to have a look at these places" I can't believe it's so different!

I wouldn't say you're at a disadvantage though - if you spend too much time worrying about Oxbridge, you won't be able to concentrate on getting the most out of school life. (You'll also risk becoming a bit pathetic).

Appearing too obsessed with Oxbridge at interview really isn't a good idea - one guy from my school this year, who seemed to have everything required, was almost definitely rejected because he was completely obsessed with Cambridge (both parents went there). I don't think he's alone in this situation - tutors want to see intellectual curiosity and interest in the subject, not reckless ambition and obsession.
Reply 30
notyourpunk
i would ask my teachers.. but im on holiday until sunday :tongue:

We were recommended not to apply to the same college as other people doing the same course, but when I went to have a look around Worcester earlier this year the 2 lads that showed me round were both from the same school and were doing the same course, so .....

Latest

Trending

Trending