The Student Room Group

Low Student Satisfaction at the University of Bristol

Why does the University of Bristol do so badly in Student Satisfaction, while it has very high entry standards, graduate prospects and a good research assessment ?
Original post by CivilEngAsp101
Why does the University of Bristol do so badly in Student Satisfaction, while it has very high entry standards, graduate prospects and a good research assessment ?

That's a question I've thought about quite a lot - not Bristol specifically though.

My theory is that students become despondent with the high/tough level of work. This doesn't happen at the "better" unis, even though they share a similar level of work, because the students there feel that it is part of the prestige .
Original post by pleasedtobeatyou
That's a question I've thought about quite a lot - not Bristol specifically though.

My theory is that students become despondent with the high/tough level of work. This doesn't happen at the "better" unis, even though they share a similar level of work, because the students there feel that it is part of the prestige .

What is your definition of "better unis"?
What is your definition of "better unis"?

Those which are more prestigious. I'll avoid naming them in fear of generating angst. I'm sure you know which ones I'm talking about.
Those which are more prestigious. I'll avoid naming them in fear of generating angst. I'm sure you know which ones I'm talking about.

So, unis like Bristol aren't "prestigious"?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So, unis like Bristol aren't "prestigious"?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't say that Bristol isn't prestigious. I said that there are unis which are more prestigious compared to Bristol.
I didn't say that Bristol isn't prestigious. I said that there are unis which are more prestigious compared to Bristol.

I am an international student with offers from a few unis. Was going to finalise Bristol. Just wanted to know why the SS is low. Plus, not really aware of the more "prestigious universities". So could you please enlighten me?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
I just looked at The Times ranking for a quick reference. You should remember that the satisfaction among a course might be greater than that at the university as a whole. For elec eng Bristol scores 86.5 (which isn't too bad), but it's 80 on average. It is regardless of this a very legitimate concern.
Student satisfaction can be low at some Russell Group universities because students often find that the teaching is quite poor as lecturers are often more interested in their research than teaching and helping undergrads.
Reply 9
Original post by Smack
Student satisfaction can be low at some Russell Group universities because students often find that the teaching is quite poor as lecturers are often more interested in their research than teaching and helping undergrads.

I think this is a common theme at many reputable universities, however I found that lecturers took us more seriously in the 3rd year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending