The Student Room Group

Strict parents are driving me insane

I'm 17 now and I'm not saying my parents should give me absolute freedom but a little would be nice. I wouldn't say I'm an awful child I do well in school and plan to leave for uni next year but my parents still treat me like I'm ten. They don't let me wear makeup and this is something I personally don't agree with so I have to then hide my make up in my room. They don't let me have a boyfriend but I'm with someone who I've been with for 5 months now I love him but having to constantly hide him from my parents and lie about where I'm going is stressing me out, they don't let me go to parties (which I don't mind too much), I have to be back in the house by 5pm and they threaten to take my phone off me if I talk to any boys which is ridiculous because the majority of people in my lessons are boys and I sometimes need to text them for help and stuff.

Constantly having to go behind my parents back is stressing me out and I feel so closed in, I know I've only got a year left I hate that the only thing I have to look forward to in the next year is finally leaving home. My parents are very close minded so talking to them is out of the question if anyone else has been through this can they please tell me how they dealt with it?
Reply 1
Hi,

Unfortunately it's a pretty difficult situation, most parents who are strict have the attitude of "my house, my rules". What about writing a letter to them instead of talking to them? A clam letter which just explains how you feel about this or maybe think about ways you gain their trust, maybe ask these questions in the letter?. Also you could add that you understand their point of view of wanting to keep you safe but it's just to much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
To be honest, you just have to keep doing what you're doing. It's difficult, but the year will fly by and you will leave.

This is one of those cases where it doesn't seem they will budge no matter how much talking is done.
Ive been through this situation, parents taking phone off of me, removing the wifi so i cant talk to friends, not giving me any cash, not letting me hang out with guys, but its actually benefitted me alot...
ive got better jobs than any of my friends that used to be going out wearing so much make up..im settled down now,have an amazing husband, he's a barrister and im a cardiologist (heart surgeon) im making loads of money and bought myself and my husband brand new cars... The girls that used to chat to guys 24/7 (my friends) are now either divorced, on drugs or living off benefits...me however, i thank my mum and dad now for doing all that to me coz i woudlent have had my amazing job, so much money and a loyal husband tpwuthout the restrictions i had on me

so parents are a blessing my love :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending